The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 9, 2007, 08:38 AM   #1
Crimp

Dispose of ammo?

I have a hundred rounds of 357 reloads, loaded hot for a Ruger revolver I no longer own. All I shoot with 357 now is a S&W snubbie and these rounds are too hot for it (and my hand!). I don't want to pull the bullets; just want to dump the ammo. How do y'all dispose of old ammo?

West Virginians: Consider joining the West Virginia Citizens Defense League.
Old November 9, 2007, 09:34 AM   #2
red-rider

I've heard that you can soak cartridges in light weight oil for a while, a week maybe, to allow the oil to penetrate into the powder, and ruin it. You might try it and pull a couple after some time to see the condition of the powder. I have never tried this, thought. I does seem like too much trouble. Are the cartridges too hot to give away to someone with a suitable revolver? Maybe you know someone with a 357 mag lever gun?
Old November 9, 2007, 09:40 AM   #3
angeldeville

take em to the range and share them with a buddy, or make a new buddy by giving them to someone who can use em.
Old November 9, 2007, 09:45 AM   #4
Jim Watson

I think you'd have to be nuts to give or take amateur reloads "loaded hot."

Just pull the bullets. You are willing to throw the ammo away, it is not like you have to do it all at once. Just leave them handy and every time you go to the bench to do any reloading activity, knock out a dozen and move on. Pretty soon they will be gone.
Old November 9, 2007, 10:36 AM   #5
Crimp

Good suggestion, Jim. I guess I got caught up in the typical American need for instant gratification!

Old November 9, 2007, 11:27 AM   #6
musher

Just toss them in the trash. It's not like they're nuclear waste or aluminum cans (either of which can get you in BIG trouble in some locales if you put them in your garbage)
Old November 9, 2007, 12:01 PM   #7
The Tourist

I am also a reloader, and from time to time I have had questionable loads.

I call our local police station. They are always friendly and happy to help.
Old November 9, 2007, 12:23 PM   #8
Superhouse 15

Oil

FYI, I soaked a bunch of assorted ammo in Hoppe's #9, WD40, and salt water for well over a month and only one or two centerfires, and most but not all of the rimfires still fired fine. A $10 bullet puller will allow you to recover some components, or you could just trash them.
Old November 9, 2007, 07:21 PM   #9
BigJimP

Please don't just toss them in the trash, as someone suggested - it'll only take you 15 or 20 min to pull bullets on 100 rounds .........just pull the bullets and then toss the cases out ( although I would fire the primers in the empty brass as well, if it were me, after I dumped the powder of course).
Old November 10, 2007, 01:38 AM   #10
GASCHECK

When I started reloading 50 years ago, I was told "Never shoot someone else's reloads in your gun". And later on I saw a nice Smith M&P blown at a gunsmith's shop.
Good advice, I think!

Gascheck
Old November 10, 2007, 01:56 AM   #11
Unclenick
Staff

Dittos on using only handloads developed and proven in your gun. There are a few special exceptions, like police department-loaded practice rounds, but these are usually loaded down.

The idea with bullet pulling is you can then use the primed cases and bullets with a different powder charge and run them through the lighter Smith. No point in disposing of them once you've got the things apart.

I don't like the idea of throwing loaded rounds away in trash. People sometimes fish through trash to find something "useful", including kids. The guys running the compacting arm on the garbage truck may get a rude surprise, too. My dad tells of, in his youth, putting .22's on trolley car tracks to hear the bang when the cars ran over them. Considers himself lucky never to have had a case fragment in his eye.

The oil and kerosene soaks are unreliable. A loaded round has pretty darn good metal-on-metal pressure seals because the parts are all press fit and squeezed tight at both ends. Some penetrants may eventually make it through, but they would need a very long time to do so in enough volume to wet all the powder and the primer.

What I always heard of kerosene being used for was disposing of primers alone. I recall reading a post by a fellow who found that didn't work well, either. The lacquer sealant they put on over the anvil works pretty well, it seems.
NRA Benefactor Member
Old November 10, 2007, 10:20 AM   #12
Lawyer Daggit

Why not get a kinetic bullet puller and bash out the pills, and then load the primed cases with a load appropriate to your current needs.

Bit of fiddling around but worth it.
Old November 11, 2007, 09:32 AM   #13
Crimp

Thanks all. I bit the bullet (so to speak) and sat down and pulled all of them.