The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old October 16, 1998, 08:20 PM   #1
Rob Pincus

Let's remember that the reason they have a contest is to encourage people to come hear
and make use of the forum for intelligent discussion.

I too, feel into the instant immature thought of "hey..what'll get the most reaction?"
but then I realized, especially after seeing some of the other topics posted that this
was not hte right thing to do.
If people come here to have a real discussion do you think they are going to stick
around very long if all we are talking about it "what is your favorite multi-tool" or
some of the other boring been-done-to-death topics that were posted in a frenzy this
afternoon.

Afterall, we can attract many more people to this list by being intelligent thatn we
can by trying to beat dead horse topics like "what is the best .45 hollowpoint??"

I , for one, apologize to the list owners for falling into that category, however
briefly, please feel free to delete any frivilous or non-relevent topics I may have
added this afternoon.

Thanks

Old October 16, 1998, 09:49 PM   #2
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Rob-
You certainly owe us no apology. We set out the rules and forgot that tactically minded people are natural competitors....they hate to loose.

However, we would like to thank you for the sentiment. The Firing Line was not set up as an armchair shooter's "chat" room. The names, status and experience of our Moderators makes this an Internet first.

We've refrained from using our Moderators to promote the site, yet we're anxious to spread the word. Our growth is more than satisfactory and we've already developed an excellent cadre of regular Members, including yourself. We hope that this little "contest" might cause a few skeptics to drop in. So far, it appears to be working quite well.

Sorry for having to tighten up the rules after the first six hours. Thanks to all of you for your support.

Rich Lucibella
Old October 18, 1998, 07:29 PM   #3
Kodiac

How about prizes to the first 25 foundation members - since we all hate to loose?

Hey wait a sec - what number would I be?

Dang...
Old October 18, 1998, 07:33 PM   #4
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Rich
Old October 19, 1998, 08:02 PM   #5
Kodiac

I dont know if you noticed... but in a very subtle way we are avoiding posting replies to topics that are marked as contest entries.
I think this is some of that competitiveness showing.
Old October 20, 1998, 12:01 AM   #6
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Kodiac-
This may be true, though not in my case. Perhaps posting a topic that gets people to reply despite the competition is part of the competition.
Rich