The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 5, 2007, 03:43 PM   #26
Denny Hansen
Staff

IMO practice both as close and far as you range will allow. A "hope for the best, prepare for the worst" mindset will go a long way. Clint Smith put it best when he said, "Your gunfight will not be what you expect it to be."

Denny
Old October 5, 2007, 04:06 PM   #27
BillCA

Quote:
Most civilian shootings also involve people who know each other. Two friends, a relative, a brother in law, etc. This is why...
Actually, some research on how this information is collected revealed that police reports have a simple "yes/no/unknown" response to this question. Checking "yes" means that the investigating officer has some basis to say the two persons knew each other - either some fact or a statement from a witness that the two seemed to know each other. "Assailant known to victim" includes;
- Drug user & dealer
- Pimp and Prostitute
- Co-workers
- Neighbors
- Gang members (same or different gangs)
- Criminal associates (partners in crime)
- Previously seen customers of a business.

#1 skill - Being able to identify real potential threats and knowing when someone is on the verge of violence.
#2 skill - avoiding potential confrontations to start with.
#3 skill - Being aware enough to have an escape planned, and using it.
#4 skill - Conflict resolution - being able to dissapate anger or aggression towards you.
#5 skill - knowing when you can deploy the non-lethal countermeasures
#6 skill - being able to shoot first, fast and final (on target).

I try to follow both the KISS principle and the Rule of the 6-P's. KISS means Keep It Simple, Stupid. The Rule of the 6-P's is simply Proper Planning Prevents P--- Poor Performance. Plan properly with simple tactics and efforts.

Most of my training is between 7 and 15 yards (21 to 45 feet). When I can, I do some shooting at under 10 feet to simulate the robbery/assault threat using point-shooting techniques. I practice some point shooting out to 7 yards because my truck is 16.5 feet long that gives me confidence in one-handed shooting from one end to the other (plus a skosh).
Old October 5, 2007, 04:28 PM   #28
sw_florida

Hits don't count if the criminal is still up and holding his gun.

I think most shootings occur at close range. Should that happen I have nowhere to go but to hope that the criminal will miss me with his bullets. Sidestepping will be my best bet, but to do that while shooting sounds very difficult. There will be no time to reload, unless I can find shelter. If I can't get a hit with six bullets then I'm not getting one with twelve; that's my philosophy behind choosing a powerful revolver. Realistically, the best I can do is to draw the handgun early, squeese off one round in the general direction as soon as possible and then aquire sight and then continue to unload on target. My ccw choice is a four inch .357 magnum, loaded hot. I don't want a wounded criminal who continues to fire back at me. I've read that the .357 magnum bullet at 1450 ft/s stuns the hit person like he was struck by lightning and his activities stop right there. To shave off a second I'm also playing with the idea of not snapping shut the locking strap of the holster, but that allows for a steal of my handgun from behind, so I will continue to strap the handgun down. To not put myself at close range to shady-looking people are my best overall tactics. I imagine it will feel very weired to be the first one to draw in case someone acts strange. If not sooner, the scumbag will at that point go for his gun in self defense. Everything would be so much easier if there were no scumbags.