The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old September 23, 2007, 12:06 AM   #1
tamaneko

What are the residency requirements to legally own a gun?

I've always had an interest in guns, but only until recently I've kept that interest to simply toys. However, I'm now interested in aquiring the real deal, but...I'm confused, what EXACTLY do I need to be in order to legally own a firearm?

I moved with my family from Australia 7 years ago to the U.S, in California to be exact. However, since then we have been on that horrible INS waiting list to process our application for residency to get a green card. Hell, we just received today that our papers have finally STARTED to be looked at by them. That said, I'm just here with my family on a legal visa.

So, simply put, I need a green card, a social security number and a driver's license before I can own a firearm in the U.S?
Old September 23, 2007, 12:30 AM   #2
RevolverLover

Quote:
All firearms purchases and transfers, including private party transactions and sales at gun shows, must be made through a licensed dealer under the Dealer Record of Sale (DROS) process. California imposes a 10-day waiting period before a firearm can be released to a buyer or transferee. A person must be at least 18 years of age to purchase a rifle or shotgun. To buy a handgun, a person must be at least 21 years of age, and either 1) possess an HSC plus successfully complete a safety demonstration with the handgun being purchased or 2) qualify for an HSC exemption.

As part of the DROS process, the buyer must present "clear evidence of identity and age" which is defined as a valid, non-expired California Driver's License or Identification Card issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles. A military identification accompanied by permanent duty station orders indicating a posting in California is also acceptable.

If the buyer is not a U.S. Citizen, then he or she is required to demonstrate that he or she is legally within the United States by providing to the firearms dealer with documentation that contains his/her Alien Registration Number or I-94 Number.

Purchasers of handguns are also required to provide proof of California residency, such as a utility bill, residential lease, property deed, or government-issued identification (other than a drivers license or other DMV-issued identification).

(PC Section 12071)
http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/

"One test = 1,000 expert opinions." -Art Eatman
Old September 23, 2007, 03:03 PM   #3
Limeyfellow

Pretty much. It takes along time to get a Green Card. Once you get your greencard approved you can apply for a social security card that takes a few weeks. Your drivers license or other proof of residency (though most people seem to refuse anything but a drivers license) must show you been a resident of that state for the past 90 days.
Old September 23, 2007, 05:49 PM   #4
tamaneko

Thanks for the info. This part about the handgun law though...

and either 1) possess an HSC plus successfully complete a safety demonstration with the handgun being purchased or 2) qualify for an HSC exemption.

Does that also apply to purchasing handgun parts kit or handgun receivers?
Old September 23, 2007, 06:19 PM   #5
RevolverLover

Quote:
Thanks for the info. This part about the handgun law though...

and either 1) possess an HSC plus successfully complete a safety demonstration with the handgun being purchased or 2) qualify for an HSC exemption.

Does that also apply to purchasing handgun parts kit or handgun receivers?
You can buy a handgun parts kit just as long as it does not have a receiver. You can't purchase handgun receivers in California. All new handguns that you purchase have to be on the approved list.

"One test = 1,000 expert opinions." -Art Eatman
Old September 24, 2007, 10:51 PM   #6
Jets2007

I am glad that you and your family are doing things by the books. Whenever you get angry with all of the crazy bureaucracy involved, just think about the millions of people all over the globe that would go to the ends of the earth to have a crack at a US citizenship. You and your family are very lucky. This place is not perfect... but it's pretty close to it as far as I am concerned... There is no other place in this world that I would rather live.... and I am sure that everybody else on TFL that lives in the US would second that.

Don't let all of the Kaliforniastan gun laws get to you. Thankfully, most of the states don't emulate what California does.

Good luck with your paperwork... it's worth it! As Ted Nugent says, 'You can't do this in France!!'.