The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 20, 2007, 07:36 PM   #1
Rembrandt

Different way to mount a press to bench...

Never been satisfied with drilling holes in a bench and bolting a press down. Once installed most presses never move again. Always intrigued with the possibility of a quick change system that gives more bench room if needed. Here's what I came up with, two rails of extruded aluminum recessed into the bench top that presses get mounted to. Composite bases are attached to each loader and accessory. Rail allows press to slide up and down the bench, then simply lock it in place by tightening bolts. Next step will be a stock and forearm rest that attaches to the same rail system for cleaning guns.

Old September 20, 2007, 07:43 PM   #2
swmike

Nice system. Kind of like cargo tie down rails in large aircraft.

"In God we trust, all others are suspects."

"If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, either I won't need any more, or more won't be of any help".

Old September 20, 2007, 11:16 PM   #3
capbuster

very interesting mounting system. thankyou for sharing.take care.
Old September 21, 2007, 09:14 AM   #4
Neophyte1

thinking

Rembrant: Sir; wowgive this man a moment to think; and get the heck out of his way
The trick est that I've seen.
Oh yeah; who the dickens has such a clean "workbench"
Totally worthless without dirt/grim/grunge
Sir; post again when it is proper place to work

By the standards of most
Old September 21, 2007, 09:28 AM   #5
fisherman66

That's pretty nifty. I'm gonna look into that for the bedroom. Don't worry folks, I'll feed 'er once in a while.
Old September 21, 2007, 02:30 PM   #6
Rembrandt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neophyte1
....who the dickens has such a clean "workbench"
Went to great lengths to find storage for all the clutter that use to reside on the bench. Recently re-did the entire reloading and gun cleaning room. I'm sort of a neat-freak and like everything organized. Here's a few pics of the rest of it...

Old September 21, 2007, 02:35 PM   #7
BigJimP

Nice system - thanks for sharing it.
Old September 21, 2007, 06:36 PM   #8
Shane Tuttle
Staff

That's one nice design. Very clean. Good to know that there's somebody out there that's almost as anal as I am...almost...

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old September 21, 2007, 06:39 PM   #9
Shane Tuttle
Staff

By the way, IIRC, you stated that you bought those tool boxes from Sam's. I looked online a while back and went to the store with no avial. How'd you get ahold of those?

Old September 21, 2007, 07:02 PM   #10
Rembrandt

Tuttle8, I wonder if Sams Club may have had a one time special purchase on these. Some of the items are no longer stocked, others are. Sams in West Des Moines had some of the items, the store in Ames still has the benches and roll cabs in stock. Stools have been sold out for some time.
Old September 21, 2007, 09:11 PM   #11
Shane Tuttle
Staff

A bit of a drive for me, but Ames isn't too far out of my reach. Thanks for the info...

Old September 21, 2007, 10:17 PM   #12
Evil Dog

Entirely too neat and organized.... need clutter !!! A very nice setup indeed.
Old September 22, 2007, 06:14 AM   #13
Thesenator

A very clean setup indeed....much too clean for me...but really I'm jealous!! Thats the neatest looking reloading room I've ever seen bar none.

My only question is, how well will the aluminum extrusions hold up to repeated torqueing from the presses?

With holes drilled in a wooden bench, the bolts need a little tweak now and then, particularly after reloading alot of .308. Will those extrusions take the torque of resizing rifle cases without bowing upwards on the rear rail?

Thanks for sharing the photos....makes my bench look like a landfill!

EDIT: I now see that the presses are mounted to a plate which distributes the torque......disregard my previous questions. Great system!!!! Mind if I copy it for my own use?

Last edited by Thesenator; September 22, 2007 at 06:18 AM. Reason: Just looked at the pictures again
Old September 22, 2007, 06:45 AM   #14
Martyn4802

Rembrant,

Well thought out, and executed system you have there.
Kudos on doing a very good job.
Ingenuity at it's finest!!!

Martyn
Old September 25, 2007, 11:19 AM   #15
sknowskier

That's awesome! I just wish I had that much space. What happens when a primer falls in one of the rails?
Old September 25, 2007, 11:31 AM   #16
Mike Irwin
Staff

"What happens when a primer falls in one of the rails?"

Small dust brush to chase it out.

That really is a sweet mounting concept.

I'm going to have to investigate something like that when I get my basement reworked and the one wall moved.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old September 25, 2007, 11:40 AM   #17
The Tourist

Do the rails hold everything tight on the "up stroke"?

I have a Dillon SDB, and the up stroke seats the primer.
Old September 25, 2007, 07:01 PM   #18
Rembrandt

Rails are every bit as strong as the rest of the bench. The rail system actually distributes pressure out to a wider area than the presses original footprint. Rock solid. Cleaning the rails is no biggy, vacuum or compressed air take care of those issues.
Old September 25, 2007, 07:11 PM   #19
gary2905

Rembrandt,
Where did you say you got the rail system and do you need a "special" router bit for installation?

Thanks in advance,

Gary
Old September 25, 2007, 07:18 PM   #20
Rembrandt

I did use a router to cut the 1"X2" channel in the wood.

Extrusion is called 8020 (tradename) http://www.8020.net/ , (1" X 2")scrap we had left over at work. Available from a number of sources, "MSC" has 8' lengths for about $40. http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT...MT4NO=29685610

Here's something that may work on thinner bench tops. All you need is a router and the special bit to install the double T channel.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,43455,52799

Plastic plates are HDPE (high density poly), extremely ridged and very slick, won't mar the bench surface.
Old September 26, 2007, 12:27 AM   #21
44 AMP
Staff

Very nice

But it looks like a lot of work.

I,m lazy, and when not using the permanent holes in my old bench, I just use a couple of large "C" clamps. Not nice and neat looking, but it works for me.
Old September 26, 2007, 12:53 PM   #22
Walipala

Well, I'm almost embarassed to show this crude setup, but I've got an effective method for mounting my my Lee single-stage press. It's bolted to a piece of 3/4"-thick plywood, 4.5"w x 14"l. When I need to use this press I just clamp it really tight in my 5" bench vice. This puts it at a comfortable working height too. When I'm done, the press & base get stowed back in the cabinet will all the other reloading supplies.

I've also got a place on the wood to mount the powder measure (see picture) so when i'm ready for that stage I just flip the setup around in the vice.

This setup has worked very well for me so far. However, even plywood this thick flexes a litttle bit. I've been meaning to remake the base out of aluminum but haven't gotten around to it yet. I suppose when I do that I'll get a better thrower too.

I don't know if this would work with something bigger though, like a turret press. Maybe with a bigger, better made vice...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LeePressMount.jpg (147.2 KB, 78 views)
Old September 26, 2007, 01:15 PM   #23
Sevens

Well, if the plywood in the vice works and you can use it with no trouble, then that's good enough I suppose. But I don't see what you gain by -not- mounting that press on the benchtop itself. Mounting the press gives you a workspace right there where you need it and your tools aren't sitting up on a vice. For the Challenger press, it's three holes, that's it. Get some long bolts and some wing nuts and you can even take it back off in 2 minutes if you need or want to.
Old September 26, 2007, 02:09 PM   #24
Walipala

It isn't a perfect setup. And you are perceptive about having to keep all the other 'stuff' off the vice and a little further away. But it works okay for single-stage loading of rifle calibers. I do sometimes set the to-be-sized brass in a box on the wood, to the left of the press. Haven't knocked it off yet

The main thing I like about it is the ergonomics. In the vice, the press sits 8" higher than if it was on the bench, which is a more comfortable working height for me when standing. (I suppose if I bought a shop chair it would be a little different.) The other thing is, with the press in the vice I can rotate the assembly 45* or so counter-clockwise if looking straight down, so that I can operate the lever down to the side a little, rather than pulling it straight out toward me. That motion is just more comfortable.

Another thing is, with my bench if I tried drilling holes where they need to be for that particular press, I'd be drilling right through 120v wiring.
Old September 26, 2007, 03:42 PM   #25
Mike Irwin
Staff

Not really sure it qualifies as a lot of work, especially not when you get to use a router! Woo hoo!

Don't feel bad about your bench, Walipala, mine is made from the old cutting block top that came off our old dishwasher!

Once I get the wall moved that I want to move I'll have a LOT more room in which to build a proper reloading bench with lots of covered storage.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.