The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old August 7, 2007, 06:39 PM   #1
millers5285

Semi Wad Cutters and Round Nose

I'm starting to shoot steel...just practicing, and heard that RN bullets are better for steel and SWC are better for "paper" targets, True?? The gun I'm using is a S&W 1911 45.
Old August 7, 2007, 08:42 PM   #2
SDC

They'll both work for either, as long as you do your part behind the sights, but wadcutters were designed with a sharp shoulder on the bullet specifically so they would cut a nice, easy-to-see (score) hole in a paper target. If you're shooting in a competition where speed is important, and you don't get alibis (IPSC or IDPA, for example), your first priority has to be reliability; it doesn't matter if you have all A's with nice, sharp holes, if it took you 20 seconds of shooting and 3 minutes of fighting with jams.
Old August 9, 2007, 09:56 PM   #3
Crosshair

What I have learned from handloading: SWC bullets for revolvers and RN for autoloaders. I can't get my 1911 to feed SWC bullets and it is trashing the cases. Revolvers don't care.

However, if you are doing speed loads on revolvers, use RN because the RN bullet guides itself into the chamber better than the SWC.
Old August 9, 2007, 10:13 PM   #4
LHB1

Semi-wadcutters or full wadcutters for paper. As posted above, they cut nice clean round holes for better scoring. All of my 1911's, including four current guns, feed semi-wadcutters just fine. I think Crosshair's gun needs some attention from a good 1911 gunsmith.

Good shooting and be safe.
LB
Old August 9, 2007, 11:13 PM   #5
Crosshair

LHB1

I think Crosshair's gun needs some attention from a good 1911 gunsmith.

Crosshair's 1911 cost $250. Sending it to a gunsmith would be like sending a $5 hamster to the vet. However it feeds LRN and other non-SWC ammo just fine with 100% reliability, so "No SWC ammo" isn't a deal breaker. I just use LRN bullets. Good to see that others have better luck with SWC in autoloaders. As always, use whatever your gun likes.
Old August 9, 2007, 11:21 PM   #6
LHB1

Hi Crosshair,
Sorry to hear that your 1911 doesn't like SWC's and didn't mean any offense. Understand your decision to go with what works. If you do decide to have it looked at, be sure to find a good "1911 smith" to fix it. As in any profession, there are some quacks and dummies out there who either don't know their limitations or won't admit them.

Good shooting and be safe.
LB
Old August 10, 2007, 12:12 AM   #7
Crosshair

No problem LHB1, I was being a smart alek anyway. I bought that 1911 as a "tweaker gun" since I was just getting into semi-auto handguns at the time. If I FUBAR it, it's not as bad as messing up a $1200 gun.