The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 18, 2007, 04:30 PM   #1
james1375446

what is a 44 mag arminius worth?

My friend has an arminius in 44 mag and he wants to trade it or sell it so he can get something a little newer for carry. He already has a couple of revolvers. He takes very good care of his guns so it is in good condition What are one of these worth roughly to sell or trade?
Old July 18, 2007, 05:17 PM   #2
MikefromNC

James-
Not much of a collector's piece there. I had a .38 snub by "Arminius" some time ago (I gave it to my dad;he still has it somewhere). I bought it for $75 in OK condition. In .44 mag it may be worth a hun and a half to two hun to somebody that really wants it. You might want to do a search on "gunbroker" or "gunsamerica" or "auction arms" to get a more accurate current market value on it. Quality wise, I put it on par with Rossi or EAA. Good thing to up-grade from!
Old July 18, 2007, 07:24 PM   #3
revjen45

There are some ime when selling a gun isn't worth dumping it for what you can get for it. I have a revolver I traded for and tuned up (used to be a gunsmith). I will hang onto it because its utility is greater than what I can sell it for. It works fine and I don't need to sell my guns to eat or pay the rent. Yes, it's a model not well regarded, but like I said it works and it's a fine gun to live in the truck, should I need it for that. Keep the Arminius unless you get a screamin' deal on a trade.
Old July 18, 2007, 09:14 PM   #4
warwagon

I would have to agree, guns are tools,if they are doing the job, why discard them?

I admit to lusting after the newest, sexiest thing as much as the next guy, but in the end we have to determine whether the item we have is worth the price of a sale, or trade in.

If it works well, and he can't get much for it, why not keep it, and save for the next one? You stated that he has other carry options, maybe use one of these until he gets the funds together fore something else.

Who knows, someday he might be glad he kept it!

Best regards,
Blair
Old July 19, 2007, 04:25 PM   #5
james1375446

I'm sorry I didn't clarify, he his other revolvers are a 8 in colt, and a 8 in .22, neither are very good for a concealed weapon. The other problem is it isn't that easy to hit stuff with a .44, plus the ammo is more expensive. He really likes his colt and his .22, but he just feels that the .44 is his least favorite and he needs something for carry. I looked on gunbroker and auctionarms (I didn't see any .44), but I'll check on gunsamerica, I didn't know about that site. He and I both figured he would have to maybe trade+cash, from what ya'll are saying it sounds like the same thing.
Old July 20, 2007, 06:40 PM   #6
RJay

Ariminius was a tribal leader who ambushed and wiped out an entire Roman army. Needless to say he is considered a hero in German lore. The name was first applied to guns by Friedrich Pickert from 1900 to World War II. Since then the name has been used by Herman Weibrauch ( Since 1945). Your friends .44 mag was one of the last series ( HW Series) of guns made before they went out of the business. Weibrauch guns were imported under a slew of names including Gecado, Dickson and others. Unfortunately these guns are not well thought of by the shooting fraternity and do not command a high price. If you friend trades it plus cash , it will be more cash than trade. This is a case where it would be more cost effective to keep it, if he does trade it he will receive less than a hundred, in fact the dealer may not even want it because he knows he may have a hard time getting rid of it. Sorry about that