The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 15, 2007, 06:46 PM   #1
jclayto

Problem with Lee 4 Hole Turret.

I have just set up my lee 4 hole turret. With no dies installed in the turret and making sure that I move the handle all the way up and down with each turn, the turret seems to get out of line about every 7th or 8th pull. (out of line meaning the shell holder ends up night lining up with the turret hole) Do you have any suggestions on what could cause this?

Also, are the seating die and the sizing die the same die? I have dies with the same label in my 4 die set.

Thanks!
Jonathan
Old June 15, 2007, 07:04 PM   #2
Namerifrats

I have the same press, no problems yet. I also took the indexing rod out of mine for personal preference.
Old June 15, 2007, 07:45 PM   #3
CrustyFN

I have a Classic turret and don't have that problem. I wonder if there is a chance they put a index rod from a three hole press on your four hole press. I would call Lee and see what they have to say. The seating and sizing dies are totally different. the sizing die has a small stem that sticks out of the bottom for pushing the primer out of the case and the seating die doesn't.
These are your dies from left to right. 1) sizing die 2) powder die 3) seating 4) factory crimp die.
Rusty

Old June 15, 2007, 08:02 PM   #4
jclayto

Crazy, thanks for pointing out my mistake. I intended to ask if the seating and factory crimp die were the same because they look quite simila, but I'm braind dead today and used the wrong word. Actually both of my dies read Lee 38/357 K6 on the die, but I think i see from your photo that they are slightly different. I'll give leel a Call and see if they can help me out.

I really hoped to be loading this weekend, guess I'll be patient and call Lee on Monday.

Thanks!
Old June 15, 2007, 08:52 PM   #5
CrustyFN

I hope you get the turret problem fixed soon. The Classic turret is an awesome press. Your seating die will also crimp and you don't actually need the FCD. I like to use the FCD and would rather seat and crimp in seperate steps.
Rusty
Old June 15, 2007, 11:41 PM   #6
snuffy

You say you are just running the turret around? Are you being gentle in the movement of the handle/ram? If you're moving the handle/ram too fast, it's possible for the turret to over-shoot the detent from the momentum of the turret plate. It will be more of a problem with all the dies screwed into place. That adds weight to the turret plate, making it more likley to over-shoot the detent.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old June 16, 2007, 07:07 AM   #7
jclayto

that could be it snuffy, I am going to go experiment a little more this morning. I was moving it fairly fast. I will let you know

Thanks
Old June 16, 2007, 07:23 AM   #8
Arub

I think the photo has the seating and crimping dies reversed?
Old June 16, 2007, 01:24 PM   #9
CrustyFN

Arub you are right, good catch. I should have double checked it before I coppied it from the web site.
Rusty
Old June 16, 2007, 02:00 PM   #10
arkie2

Check out Lee's video "4 hole turret index adjustment" here. Maybe it will help.

http://www.leeprecision.com/html/HelpVideos/video.html

I have the Lee classic turret press and never did get the indexer to work properly. I took the indexer out and now advance the turret by hand. It works that way, just a little more labor intensive.
Old June 16, 2007, 06:48 PM   #11
amamnn

I've used both Lee 4 hole turrets and when I got the classic I just took the indexer out befor I bolted it on the bench. It does not suit my style of case prep to advance the turret with every stroke of the ram. Since I have to remove the cases to check concentricity, trim the casemouth, clean or uniform the primer pocket and possibly ream the flash hole, then chamfer and deburr the casemouth, I do all my cases at once then prime them all before moving to the seating stage. Rifle or handgun, I at least check all these variables for each case. I think I work more efficiently this way, but I guess it's just a matter of personal preference. Either way, it's faster than 90% of single stage presses.
Old June 17, 2007, 03:11 PM   #12
jclayto

I may try your method of not using the indexing for now. i went out yesterday and was gentle with my movements and that seemed to be working ok but as the day progressed it started acting up again, sometimes not turning at all, other times only turning 1/2 turn or so.

I was able to get the decapper adjusted and working well.

The powder through die was a pain, I adjusted it by the manual and it kept flaring too much causing the cases to bend/split/disfigure. But I was finally able to adjust it by experimenting and get it working.

I couldnt get the seating die to work, it would seat a little and then try to crimp but thats probably because I see from the above post that I was using hte factory crimp die instead of the seating die. I am going to go try the seating die out now.

I will let you know how it turns out, and call lee tommorrow for some insite on the indexing issues.
Old June 17, 2007, 07:12 PM   #13
ShootingNut

Lee Classic Turret Indexing Issues

Some on this forum, will have you believe that it's the way you operate your equipment. I do not think so, only so many ways to pull the "crank", and be as smooth as possible. With the correct rod in place, no screwed up ratchet, and yet after several movements you don't get the Turret to stop precisely where it should.
Who can agrue the point, in reloading the ram has to come up and mate with the bottom of the Die at exactly (almost) at the right point. I'm talking about the Lee equipment, maybe some brands for more bucks, are designed for more accuracy in the progressive movements.
My friend (who has tried many time to help me, thank you), Benedict I'm sure won't agree with my thoughts and personal experience.
As a single stage, I'm pleased with my Classic Turret equipment.
Old June 17, 2007, 09:44 PM   #14
jclayto

It's been a frustrating day for me guys. I give up on the indexing feature for now, but I was able to finally get all the dies in and adjusted so that it is seating the bullets to the proper overall length. Once I got everything set up and went for a test run, my wife somehow managed to break my auto prime. The autoprime snapped open and the little plunger and spring popped out, we put it all back togeather but it still doesnt seem to work quite right. Any suggestions?

I do have a few questions if someone could help me out. They are newbie questions so be gentle

1) I am using the pro auto disk measure. I am loading for .357 with 2400 powder for 158 grain jacketed bullet. The lee manual calls for 14.1 grain starting load and an auto disk of 1.02. I set up the auto disk on 1.02 and made the drop. It only threw 13.2 grains. How do you make adjustments on the amount it thows? I am assuming you use a different hole in the auto disk, but how do i know which one?

2) this is dumb, be the instructions didnt make this very clear. when loading primers into the auto prime, which side do you want facing out (toward the clear plastic lid)

I really appreciate everyones help. I am super excited, but I am really trying to take this slow and make sure I do it safe first and foremost.
Old June 18, 2007, 05:56 AM   #15
ShootingNut

jclayto

Regarding your primers. When you carefully dump your box of 100 onto the black priming tray, notice those little bumps? With a little side to side shaking, all primers will turn belly up. That's the way they are meant to be, and go down your tube the same way. That part is slick I think, and my primer works great. Make sure you have it aligned with your cup, as described in the limited directions.
As far as the short powder drop, I have battled the same thing loading my
.40s. One was sometimes below the start load, the next larger hole would throw an excessive load often. I'm not recommending this for everyone, but for me I used the right sized twist drill and enlarged my .37 hole just a tad.
Now I get exactly my 5.6-5.8 grain drops ALL the time.
Whatever you do, stay within the stated start and max load range, or you could create a problem you don't want to deal with.
Old June 18, 2007, 06:22 AM   #16
arkie2

You can buy a double disk kit (below). Also, regarding the Auto Prime, Lee has some warnings associated with that piece of equipment. You probably got the same warning with the equipment when you bought it. I copied it below anyway. They recommend you use only Win or CCI primers.

Double Disk Kit

This kit raises the hopper so you can stack two disks. This not only doubles the capacity of the disks but it makes very fine adjustments possible. Most powders can be adjusted up or down .1 grain with different combinations of disks. Complete listing of combinations, 4 extra disks, screws and risers are included.

Lee Double Disk Kit90195 Serv.Parts

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/cata...7026.257=90195

Users have reported that the primers in the tray of an Auto Prime can explode for various reasons, some of which include: a cocked primer, or an attempt to prime a case which has a primer already in place, or more than one primer on the punch, or priming a military case with the crimp not completely removed. Should an explosion occur, our tests have demonstrated that safety glasses will normally prevent serious injury to the user if CCI or Winchester primers are used, because the explosion is minimal. Other primers, however, can explode with sufficient force to seriously injure the user, or persons nearby. We do not take any position with respect to the quality or performance of primers available on the market. However, only those primers manufactured by CCI or Winchester are recommended for use in the Lee Auto Prime, and when loading those primers, safety glasses should always be used. No other primers should be used with the Lee Auto Prime.

Last edited by arkie2; June 18, 2007 at 06:44 AM. Reason: wrong equipment recommended
Old June 18, 2007, 07:03 AM   #17
jclayto

Thanks everyone! I noticed when i would shake it that they would all turn with the bottom (the part the hammer hits) facing the black part of the tray, so I wanted to make sure this is how it was supposed to be. Now I just have to figure out why it wont dispense a primer. I really do appreciate all of your support!
Old June 18, 2007, 07:37 AM   #18
rwilson452

lee indexing rod

I haven't had a Lee turret for some time but I seem to recall the tension on the clamp that holds it to the ram could effect rotation. tighter is not necessarily better.
Old June 18, 2007, 08:54 AM   #19
PeteQuad

The indexing issue bothered me when I first got the press also. The problem was that I was moving the lever too fast, and then when I tried adjusting it I ruined the internal plastic ratchet making matter worse.

Once I figured out what the problem was, I replaced the ratchet with the free spare (the little plastic square that you had no idea what it was for) and then was more careful about doing smooth strokes with the lever. I haven't had a problem since.
Old June 18, 2007, 09:49 AM   #20
Usaro4

I have both the older 3 hole auto index turret and the new 4 hole classic auto index turret. The new one has been zero problems, just set it up carefully according to instructions and dont overtighten the clamp on the index rod. The older one has taken a bit of tweaking to get right but now runs as good as the newer model. One thing I would recommend is to lube the outside edge of the turrets with a thin coat of vaseline, this really helps. I know the auto index feature can be challenging but once its working it is incredibly convenient. I would never go back to rotating the turret by hand.
Old June 21, 2007, 01:12 AM   #21
medicstimpy

I had the same problem with my 4 hole Turret when I first bolted it down and tested it out. It still does it when I occasionally lube the parts and go fast just to get the oil worked into the moving parts. I think when there are no dies and you go too fast, the turret is too light and spins too fast.

I know when I have the dies in and go slower at reloading speed, I've never had a problem with the dies lining up. Just when I go fast for the lube job. Once you put your dies in and try your first reloads at a slower pace, you shouldn't have the same problem.
Taurus: 455 Tracker - .45ACP wheel gun... *WAY KEWL*
Old June 22, 2007, 06:08 AM   #22
ShootingNut

If Your Turret Mis Stops

Then your never going to run the 2-3 hundred rounds an hour, as some claim to do. To run that amount, first off you have to be moving along at a pretty good clip, right? Your eye and hand coordination has to be right on, without any distractions. So, for those of us having experienced the turret every so often NOT lining up, you get a major distraction. Once that happens, and you fiddle around and wonder why that occurred, your rythum (spelling?) is shot and there goes any attempt at 2-3 hundred rounds.
To each his own, having these problems on my machine, I prefer to just run without the rod, less rounds yes but my quality control and enjoyment has improved.
Old June 22, 2007, 11:10 AM   #23
CrustyFN

I have loaded thousands of rounds on my classic turret and never had the dies not line up where they belonged. I even change turrets for different calibers and don't have a problem. The only thing I can think of is you might be trying to go to fast. Also make sure you make full strokes up and down. I know if you make a partial stroke and the turret spins a little and then go back and make a full stroke the turret will not line up right. Hope you get the problem figured out soon.
Rusty
Old June 26, 2007, 01:01 PM   #24
buckster

Lee

Don't short stroke it with the rod in it, or you'll hose the little black square piece inside the rod holder. [They send two] The black plastic holder for the cam has a screw that keeps it tight, it can work loose. I just use mine with out it, just turn it by hand. It is just as effective.