The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 16, 2007, 07:41 PM   #1
Bob1911

Please help with bullseye load for son.

Hello All,

I am new to this forum and looked through the archives. I live in the south end of CRook county Illanoy. I have been reloading and casting for years but have taken some time off. I have not had a 9mm for years and never did any casting for 9mm.

Here are the questions.

My son and I have taken up Bullseye shooting and I gave him a used Sig P226 in 9mm for his last birthday and he is using this for the centerfire match. I have the Lyman 358477 and 35891 molds and .357 size dies that I have had for about 31 years. I do not see this combination in any of my manuals including the new Lyman cast handbook. (misplaced my old cast book) I have slugged his bbl @ .356 and I have Bullseye, Unique, 231 and Reddot. I also have a Star 30 MI that I have not slugged yet.

Any load suggestions for bullseye target and suggestions for seating lengths?

Your help is greatly appreciated, sorry for the long post.

Thanks in advance.

Bob Russell
John 3:16/Infidel
Grand Parent
Old June 16, 2007, 08:01 PM   #2
crowbeaner

Both of the moulds you list are for 38/357 generally used in revolvers. While I am not saying that they won't work in the 9mm, there are much better choices. I'd use the 356402 124 grain mould, and cast your bullets fairly hard. Your sizer diameter of .356 should work splendidly. I never tried any other powder than Unique in 9mm, but the ones you list should work well. Refer to a good cast bullet guide for charge recommendations. Enjoy the research, and have fun.
Old June 22, 2007, 01:23 PM   #3
Paul B.

I have to agree. neither bullet that you have is suitable for a 9MM. Depending on what the #358477 weighs in your alloy, it might work.
However, the first thing I would do is slug the bore of that gun. I have three handguns in 9MM and two slug out at .358". The other may be .357" but it has an odd number of grooves that make it difficult to determine the groove diameter for sure. I use the Lyman #356402 mold. Mine casts bullet right at .359" and I lube and size them at .359". Accuracy improved greatly using bullets of that sizing.
If you barrel is .356", try sizes of .357" or even .358" if the chamber will allow this. If it's .357", go with .358" or .359", again, if the chamber will allow it. Accuracy will improve and leading will either be non-existant or so slight as to not be worth bothering with. At least, it has worked that way for me.
Paul B.
Old June 22, 2007, 01:48 PM   #4
cdrt

Just a suggestion from an old Bullseye shooter; you may want to put the 9mm on the shelf and concentrate your .22 and .45 ACP guns if you're just getting started.

Most guys shoot their .45 for both the CF and .45 match. You don't see that many shooting other calibers, i.e. .38 Special, 9mm, .32 S&W Long, in the Centerfire match. I have a Clark 1911 .38 Special conversion that I shoot occassionaly. One of the guys has a Walther .32 and another shoots a 1911 in 9mm and you'll see the Model 52 Smith once in a while. The fellow who shoots the 9mm has actually found that off the shelf Blazer works the best in his particular gun.

Anyway, just some random thoughts for what it's worth.
Navy Vet, SWIFT Boat OIC, Distinguished Pistol Shot #1399
USS JOHN S. MCCAIN (DDG-36)