The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old June 2, 2007, 11:40 PM   #1
gunnie12

How to ship a Gun Fed-Ex?

Is there special requirements? Do you have to declare it to them? Does it need to be taken apart? Who has done this? Learned lesson?

Please - reliable information.

Thanks in advance!
Old June 2, 2007, 11:47 PM   #2
Powderman

Of course, make sure that it is clear.

Take it to your local FedEx Shipping Center. The outlet stores normally won't do it, but some may vary.

To be on the safe side, take a copy of the receiving dealer's FFL, if you're shipping it to be transfered; otherwise, if you're shipping it to a gunsmith for repair, contact the company or gunsmith first and have the proper address.

Declare that you are shipping a firearm at the counter, fill out the forms, and pay the fee.

If you are shipping a LONG GUN (rifle or shotgun) to be repaired, you can do it right through the post office.

Ensure that the bolt is removed, and the gun is clear. Box it up securely, but don't seal the box yet. When you get to the counter, declare the firearm, and present the box for inspection. They will just probably tell you to seal it up--be advised! There is a type of tape that is mandated for this; it is the thick kraft paper type that you have to wet to stick on. Usually, the post office will have some of it available, if not, be prepared to provide your own.

Seal the box with this tape, ensuring that ALL seams are covered.

You will ship it Registered Mail, which is the most secure form of sending anything through the US Mail. Declare insurance for the replacement value of the firearm.

Hope that all helps!
Old June 3, 2007, 12:20 AM   #3
Link

I've never shipped a gun with Fedex. I always use UPS, and have had no problems.

I took a gun to my local shipping store, and he wouldn't touch it. He actually got a little twitchy on me.

Since then, I take my guns to the main UPS office for shipping. I expected some flac or extra charges, but there were none. I even told them both times that the packages contained guns, and they didn't seem to care.

I shipped an AK-47 from Texas to Oregon a couple of months ago for $14 UPS Ground.

BTW, you can also ship USPS. All the guns I've bought from Bud's come that way. I don't think the carriers really mind, as long as you pay the freight. It's the local shops that freak out for whatever reason....
Old June 3, 2007, 12:21 AM   #4
Limeyfellow

Get lots of insurance for it too. That way when they decide to throw your box down the hallway and kick it into the van, and it breaks something you can at least get something back.
Old June 3, 2007, 12:27 AM   #5
gunnie12

"Thanks" - what about pistols? First time shipping to a gunsmith for custom work.
Old June 3, 2007, 12:42 AM   #6
Link

It's the same deal with pistols, just probably cheaper because of smaller package size and weight.

It was $14 UPS for a heavily packaged AK-47 from Texas to Oregon, so it'll probably be under $10 to ship your pistol.

Just get some bubble wrap and a box and pack it up for shipping. Then you can take it wherever. I doubt they'll open it up once you have it packed and sealed.

You can ship a handgun UPS, Fedex, USPS, whatever. It really doesn't matter. I've bought 5 from Bud's, and they ship USPS. As long as you pay the freight, and it won't blow up or make them sick, the shipping company doesn't really care...
Old June 3, 2007, 12:44 AM   #7
Link

In other words, no...Just ensure the pistol is unloaded, and pack and ship to your smith...and pray you get it back...

If not, it's time for a road trip.... :-)
Old June 3, 2007, 02:05 AM   #8
chris in va

Wow. UPS here won't touch firearms, nor will USPS. Only the FedEx hub will take them, and it HAS to be overnight. Must be pre-packaged too.

Old June 3, 2007, 03:49 AM   #9
Powderman

Whoa, fellas! Hit the brakes on this one for a minute...

You CAN ship long guns ONLY through USPS. You may NOT, under ANY circumstances, ship a handgun through the Post Office, UNLESS you are a Class 01 Dealer (Class 01 FFL).

You CAN ship handguns and long guns through common carriers--FedEx and UPS. However, you may encounter various rules that they have implemented. The only thing that is mandated is that you MUST declare that you are shipping a firearm (see 18USC and 27CFR for details).
Old June 3, 2007, 04:10 AM   #10
Lurch37

This gets brought up from time to time in here. The powderman has the right idea...

Only FFL to FFL may ship handguns using the Post Office.
A non FFL may ship a longun to a FFL using the Post Office.
A non FFL may ship a handgun to a FFL using FedEx or UPS.

In all cases you must declare it is a firearm. The Post Office has the right to inspect your package, (mine never has). I always get insurance from whomever. If using FedEx or UPS for a handgun they are going to honk you for overnight service cause they can.

If in doubt, Gunbroker.com has an excellent area on shipping rules on their website, check it out.
Old June 3, 2007, 11:32 AM   #11
FirstFreedom

1. Box it up

2. Take it in

3. Fill out the form

4. Under "contents", write "Goods"

5. Select how much you want to insure it for

6. If the amount is very high (over $500 or so), they may ask you what the contents are, specifically. Tell them, "a gun".

7. They may ask you whether there's any ammo in the package. The answer, hopefully, is no.

8. They may ask you whether the recipient is an FFL. Hopefully, the answer is yes. If you say no, because it's a longgun being shipped in-state, which is legal, then you may have to wait a long time while they make phone calls to their headquarters, etc. You may have to go round and round with them.

If the insurance amount is low, this will render steps 6, 7, and 8 non-existent.

P.S. I may be wrong on some of the above. This is just my limited experience. If any legal questions, check with an expert.