The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 21, 2007, 07:56 PM   #1
JimJD

Lee decapping die

Hi there,

I'm not sure about this one, so I have to ask...
If I decide to load/reload 5.56/.223 and use the "Lee deluxe rifle die set", will I need a "Lee decapping die"?
I'm under the impression the rifle die set already has a decapper/deprimer built in to one or more of the dies that comes with it, right?
Or am I sorely mistaken?
Old May 21, 2007, 08:04 PM   #2
40SIG

No you won't need a separate decapping die. Both the neck sizer and the full size die have a decapping pin.
Old May 21, 2007, 08:51 PM   #3
CrustyFN

Are you loading for a bolt or auto. If you are loading for a auto I would suggest the pacesetter die set. It comes with the full length resizer, seater and FCD. I use this set for my AR 15.
Rusty
Old May 21, 2007, 09:11 PM   #4
JimJD

It would be an AR type rifle so far.
So the difference with the deluxe version die set is the inclusion of a collet die for neck sizing, and the omission of the crimp die?
Old May 21, 2007, 11:51 PM   #5
amamnn

http://www.geocities.com/leereloading/
Old May 22, 2007, 12:14 AM   #6
T. O'Heir

Any semi-auto requires full length resizing every time. Neck sizing only is for bolt actions only with the same brass. If you have two rifles in .223 you'll have to full length resize every time to use the same brass in both.
Your 'Deluxe' set will be fine. It does full length resizing. Mind you, Lee seems to think this is unusual. Any full length sizer die can be set up to neck size only.
Look into RCBS dies though. Lee's guarantee is only two years. RCBS will fix any issue that may pop up even if you buy their dies used. Usually at no cost.
Old May 22, 2007, 06:51 PM   #7
Zippy06

I use it before swagging MIL-SPEC brass.
I have broke a decapping pin. And I use this also.
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=297408
This is for brass, with the "staked crimp".
Both good.
By the way. Lee will fix or replace anything. And email answers to any questions.
Even stuff that is 20 yrs old.
G17, S&W 686, G22C, Colt H-Bar, Marlin, Savage 10FP. Be safe. Be happy
Old May 22, 2007, 08:15 PM   #8
Idaho

JimJD,

I would like to recommend the RCBS X-Die for resizing and decapping. The nice thing about RCBS X-Die is that you only need to trim you brass once before you ever run then into the die and then you will never have to trim again. The design of their mandrel limits the the stretch during resizing. I have some brass I have loaded 10 to 15 times and it has never reached max trim length. Also since using the X-Die I haven't had a neck split, usually end up tossing brass because the primer pocket get enlarged over time and won't hold the primer.