The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 16, 2007, 07:55 AM   #51
dgc940

George be careful starting that close to the lands especially if yo happen to measure wrong! or if you have a odd bullet. also if you are already loading a little toward the warm side. I'm not sure but with the lever action you may have more leverage than a bolt gun and may not feel a bullet being crammed into the lands. Why not start .010 off the lands instead of .002? and load and eject a live round and look for marks on the bullet?
JUST TO BE SAFE
Old April 17, 2007, 12:25 AM   #52
george tarleton

.243 OAL model 88

dgc- i think you might have misread my post. i did start 0.020 back from the lands, not 0.002. i used 35 grs h4895, 2.735 oal, with lee factory chrimp. 5 were very close together, the four other up to two inches out at various positions. but not in any order. two would group well, then a flyer then group then a flyer.
i am going to try 2.725 next with same powder charge.
george
Old April 17, 2007, 12:40 AM   #53
george tarleton

.243 OAL model 88

this may be a dumb question, but as i am working up a load, do i first try the same powder charge with different oal's? or same oal with different powder charges?
thanks- george
Old April 17, 2007, 08:20 AM   #54
dgc940

work your load up to find the best accuracy then find the best col.
start changing charge and you will get lost. work one one thing at a time.
when you find your gun/bullets favorite col then you can further tweak the charge by .1 .2 or .3 tenth grain
Old April 17, 2007, 03:16 PM   #55
george tarleton

.243 loads

dgc- thanks. when i was first messing around with working up a load, i did get lost, really lost, trying to do too many things at once. so, i will find the best powder charge first, then try to find the best oal.

in your experience, is salvaging powder from previous handloads worth it? does the powder degrade over time? if so, what would you think the max time is? the reason i ask is that i have some imr 4031 i salvaged from some cartridges that were loaded about 4 years ago.
thanks- george
Old April 17, 2007, 04:23 PM   #56
mrawesome22

4 year old powder is fine George. But I would only use it if you are 100% sure of the powder type in the old reloads.
Old May 18, 2007, 02:32 AM   #57
george tarleton

.243 cases

in my quest for the best hunting load for my winchester 88, does the brand of case i use make any major difference in the accuracy? it never seemed to make any difference when i reload pistol. can i mix, or match. i have on hand frontier, winchester, win super, remington, etc. i know given rifle will like a particular match of bullet type and weight, powder brand and charge, and oal. but do different brands of cases make enough difference to matter?
thanks- george tarleton
Old May 18, 2007, 05:48 PM   #58
mrawesome22

Quote:
but do different brands of cases make enough difference to matter?
Not in a hunting rifle IMO.
Old May 21, 2007, 03:58 PM   #59
castnblast

80 is pleanty for a deer, especially if you are getting the accuracy you are talking about. 1+ to the Sierra Game Kings. They have a little thicker jacket and hold up real nice on a deer.
Old May 22, 2007, 01:21 AM   #60
T. O'Heir

A Model 88 is a hunting rifle. Your's shoot well now. You may want to consider a trigger job though. 1 in 10 rifling should stabilize most deer bullet weights(80 grains and up) reasonably well. It won't like light varmint bullets(under 80 grains) as well. Nobody says you must use light bullets for varmints though. A 105 SP (my rifling is 1 in 9.5, I think) nearly turns a ground hog inside out. And the rifle shoots 'minute of deer'. Even after doing the trigger job and glass bedding.
However, set your seating die up to give the max OAL given in your manual and leave it there.
Then, do this.
Beginning with the starting load, load 5 rounds only. Go up by half a grain of powder, loading 5 of each and keeping them separate until you get to the max load in your manual.
Then go shooting. Shoot at 100 yards, for group only, slowly and deliberately off a bench. Sand bags are your friend.
Change targets between strings of 5 and allow time for the barrel to cool.
Once you have a load that is consistent, you can try different cartridge OAL's. Mind you, with a hunting rifle, the group will only get so small. Like I said, an inch, if it's consistent, is nothing to sneeze at.