The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 26, 2007, 02:26 PM   #26
brickeyee

"But I will admit that I wash them CAREFULLY (with Q-Tips inside as well as the primer pocket) and after I rinse them, I even use a Q-Tip to dry out the insides/primer pocket,..."

Sunds like a lot more than just washing them.
I cannot imagine gong through the couple thousand rounds a week I shoot like this.
Old April 27, 2007, 11:48 AM   #27
cloudcroft

brickeyee,

I don't shoot THAT much! Hardly ever actually. Whether I do or not, my marksmanship remains at the same level. Practicing regularly, or not shooting for years...it doesn't matter because I'm still at the same level of marksmanship.

I just have a hign standard of quality control (but a bit higher than Ford's "Quality is Number 1" slogan suggests), so for the few cases I shoot occasionally, it's no big deal.

Besides, a lot of people just enjoy the reloading process and producing high-quality ammo...I am one of them.

But sand is removed easily...I just go further than that to remove greasy powder residue inside the cases...that's what the Q-Tips are for, not the sand. I was just saying...

-- John D.
Old April 27, 2007, 02:08 PM   #28
Mr Beta

Quote:
Lets call Mythbusters
Those guys love wrecking perfectly good firearms !
I love mythbusters. I just wish I could blow stuff up and call it science.

Wow, Such a controversial topic.
Anyway, I'll be trying it today just to see for myself what the results are. I'll post pictures and such for those interested. If I have to buy a new bowl, so be it, I've gotten more than my money's worth outta this one.

I'll let everyone get back to their bickering.
Old April 28, 2007, 11:18 PM   #29
cloudcroft

YOU started it!

-- John D.
Old April 28, 2007, 11:50 PM   #30
T. O'Heir

I'd almost bet that sand and cat litter dust would get into the motor and damage it.
"...Lets call Mythbusters..." Let's not. Those two guys know nothing about real firearms.
Old April 29, 2007, 12:36 AM   #31
Shane Tuttle
Staff

"It seems everyone is guessing here and no one's tried it yet."

"Whatever, you're STILL GUESSING how using sand would be since you don't really know! You and no one you know has tried it, so you're guessing.

And as for the plastic bowl being "eaten away" by sand...you all are still guessing, too, because NO ONE HERE has tried it. Show me -- or the OP in this case -- the proof!"

I'm still trying to find one poster besides the OP that has claimed that they "guessed" on the ramifications of using sand...

Quite the powerful accusation, Cloud...

Besides, I don't need to jump off a 10 story building to know if it's gonna hurt...

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting

Last edited by Shane Tuttle; April 29, 2007 at 12:37 AM. Reason: grammatical error
Old April 29, 2007, 12:39 AM   #32
Mr Beta

*Guilty* I did start the thread.

Well, sand plus brass in tumbler right now. No explosions yet. We'll see.
Old April 29, 2007, 01:01 AM   #33
Shane Tuttle
Staff

"Guilty* I did start the thread"

"I'm still trying to find one poster besides the OP that has claimed that they "guessed" on the ramifications of using sand..."

Understood Beta. Nothing wrong in asking. But my point was others besides you, the OP(original poster) never stated their opinion was based on "guessing" as Cloudcroft has assumed...hmmm....assumed...

Old April 29, 2007, 01:50 AM   #34
Mr Beta

Sand Vs Brass Update

I'm still experimenting with it but so far, the sand isn't really doing very well.
It's not causing any damage *that I can tell* but it doesn't seem to be doing much to the brass.

I'm just screwing around with it now but I'll keep everyone posted.
Old April 29, 2007, 03:51 AM   #35
Mr Beta

Updated

Okay, fixed the amount of sand in the cleaner and cleaned some brass.

Works hella good, but maybe too good? I dunno. Pics below.

Extremely Dirty

Full Sized Image
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...22/dirty-2.jpg

Clean

Full Sized Image
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...22/clean-2.jpg

I'll let everyone decide.
Old April 29, 2007, 07:00 AM   #36
qajaq59

Sand???? Why not and use gravel, or even better, use rocks? At least they wont get into the cases or stuck in the primer pocket.

I've hunted out of enough duck blinds dug into the beach to know how well guns get along with sand. I'll stick to lizard litter.
Old April 29, 2007, 10:24 AM   #37
Shane Tuttle
Staff

In my observation of your pics...

I think it looks like garbage. 30min. with walnut media and mine are nice and shiny....then the corn media with polishing agent...

Old April 29, 2007, 10:42 AM   #38
brickeyee

Not very clean at all.
Old April 29, 2007, 12:28 PM   #39
Paul B.

Just a comment on Petsmart's Lizard Litter. That stuff is much softer than walnut shells sold for tumbling brass. It is also very dusty and used dryer sheets only help marginally. It is very difficult for the polish made for tumbling to integrate with that stuff. Guess I'll be stuck with it for quite a while as I bought a 40 pound bag. It does work although I find it to be slower in giving me the results I want than the walnut shells made for tumbling.
As fas as using sand? I dunno. I would think that a proper amount of sand in the tumbler, plus the brass to be tumbled would constitute a greater weight that the tumbler was designed to carry. Just as a guesstimate, I would think that a measured amount of sand would weigh close to twice as much, or more than an equal amount of either corn cob or walnut media. I don't have real sand in my back yard, just caliche clay, so I have no way of proving that statement. Caliche clay is the stuff that when turned into mud and mixed with straw makes adobe bricks.
Paul B.
Old April 29, 2007, 12:58 PM   #40
Shoney

tuttle8
I have tried both cat litter and sand as a tumbling media. The cat litter is extreemly dusty and required multiple cleanings and siftings , which did not remove all the grit. It did clean the brass but it was dull and kind rough.

In the use of sand, I have used naturally occuring medium sand. Cleaned ok, but after putting brass thru two water rinses, then three washings in washing machine, and multiple tumbles in my sifter, there was still sand coming out. Grit gets stuck in the flash holes and imbeds thru the flash hole into an under the primer. If considering the time and effort alone (not the harmful effects of the grit) it is not worth it.

Now then tuttle8, tell me, if I sifted all the popsicles out of a well used cat box, and used those popsicles to tumble brass, would I need to prove to you that they do a sh*tty job???????
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old April 29, 2007, 01:15 PM   #41
Shane Tuttle
Staff

"Now then tuttle8, tell me, if I sifted all the popsicles out of a well used cat box, and used those popsicles to tumble brass, would I need to prove to you that they do a sh*tty job???????"

Nope. The popsicles would be melted.

Ummmm...that's my point. You don't need to prove me anything. What's your point? Did I miss yours? I quoted some other posters in post #31 to rebutt. Did you misconstrue that was my quotes? I don't know how to "white box" others' posts, so it's hard to decifer what I cut/pasted to what I said...

Old April 29, 2007, 02:03 PM   #42
Mr Beta

Let me reword my last post. I did a good job of cleaning the brass but it's not polished like it would be if I used walnut or corncob media.

I'm not trying to make a point or sway anyone's decision, I just did it because nobody could give a straight answer.

Just an experiment guys.
Old April 29, 2007, 02:49 PM   #43
snuffy

A long thread on something anybody with common sense would say is a bad idea.

The reasons I tumble brass are, 1. to REMOVE abrasives from the ground from the brass, 2. to clean them in 1 step, not having ANYTHING to do with liquid cleaners/soap, and 3. to shine them up so defects are easier to spot.

Those that don't tumble accuse us of going on an ego trip with that "knock your eyes out" shine. I have a low opinion of somebody shoving grundgy brass in a precision chamber!

If ponying up for the proper tumbler media and additives seems too expensive, you'd better get out of reloading, it gets expensive.

I'm for saving money on things where ever possible. But this is one example where getting the media/additive designed for tumbling brass is the common sense way to go!

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old April 29, 2007, 05:25 PM   #44
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Well put, Snuffy...can't argue with you there...

Old April 30, 2007, 12:04 AM   #45
cloudcroft

Mr Beta,

Looks like it works just fine, maybe not as good as other stuff but in an "emergency" it'll work and apparently no harm is done to the cases. And, you could test further using assorted kinds of sand, and longer times.

I don't use a tumbler because I don't mind a "patina" on my cases, I just want them squeaky-clean which they are when I get done washing them.

But reading posts from all the "experts" here, I thought you'd be showing in the "after" pic an open hand but with no cases in it...because they were worn completely away and had disappeared.

Remember, there are ALWAYS naysayers like Snuffy...that's pretty average/common thinking and 75% of the world is made up of average limited "thinking" people.

For the rest of us not so afflicted, thanks for the info.

Now, make the others -- and possibly your tumbler -- happy and go buy some "appropriate" media to use.

-- John D.
Old April 30, 2007, 12:35 AM   #46
Mr Beta

I still (and probably always will) use walnut/corncob media.
I simply did the test to see what would happen. Out of almost 50 posts, I think I saw one person who said that they had tried it. Everyone else was just speculating. Just did it for ****s and giggles.

I think the sand worked okay for being sand but it's definitely not the best. It cleaned but didn't polish. For those who said this, congrats. Otherwise don't slam my trial.
Old April 30, 2007, 09:47 PM   #47
gandog56

Quote:
Lets call Mythbusters

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Those guys love wrecking perfectly good firearms !
I liked the firing pistols underwater in the big water tub.
Old April 30, 2007, 11:56 PM   #48
Mr Beta

What??
I never saw that episode. Are you serious? or are you just yankin' me?
I love that f'n show.
Old May 1, 2007, 12:05 AM   #49
T. O'Heir

"...did the test to see what would happen..." Look in the motor to see if any sand got in it. Just curious.
Brass needs to be clean, not shiny. You're sand cleaned brass is ready to load.
Old May 1, 2007, 02:30 AM   #50
Mr Beta

That's how I look at it. It's clean. But I'd double and triple check before I loaded any sand cleaned brass.