The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 8, 2007, 03:10 PM   #1
mexarican357

Help!. I don't know how to break down kimber.

I have a Kimber classic custom and i left it in the dryer room for two weeks and it built up superficial rust. i wiped down the out side with powder solvent, took it right off. what is my next step?
ignorance in San Antonio.
Old April 8, 2007, 04:04 PM   #2
Dwight55

If it were mine, . . . I would field strip the rascal, . . . and would probably find very little rust I could see. Take a white cloth, like a diaper (they are really good for this) and put some gun oil on it, . . . and rub the inside of the slide, the rails, the barrel, spring, and the other parts down with the diaper.

Don't make it soppy wet, . . . just dab some on and rub. If there is any rust, you will see it on the white cloth.

Unless you find heavy scaly rust, . . . I would not go any further than a regular field strip plus the extractor and firing pin.

Chances are, you are not going to find much more than you would ever find, but let this be a lesson not to leave your weapon in that environment.

Clean it and oil it up good, . . . put it back in service.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old April 8, 2007, 04:32 PM   #3
mexarican357

Thank you so much, but that is the question i don't know how to field strip. the manual says i need this supplied wrench but i never got one
Old April 8, 2007, 04:49 PM   #4
Dwight55

Mexarican, . . . virtually all 1911's follow pretty much the same proceedure for field stripping. I don't know what wrench you don't have, . . . but I would suppose it is a bushing wrench, it is used to turn the barrel bushing. Most 1911's don't need one, . . . but yours may. I can't be certain because I have never stripped a Kimber down.

You might want to try this link, . . .

http://forums.1911forum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27

It is to the 1911 forum, specifically to the Kimber forum, . . . those folks can walk you through it I would think. Also, . . . you should have gotten an owner's manual, . . . did it not show you how to field strip it?

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old April 9, 2007, 05:41 AM   #5
fattsgalore

I like 1911's but there so damn difficult. I had to watch a video on how to disassemble one. I'll stick to Glocks and Sigs and Berettas till I'm all grown up and am willing to take the time. That and it's one of the few guns I hear people getting into trouble with assembly or disassembly.
Old April 9, 2007, 05:45 AM   #6
Castaway

Kimber's have a Schwartz passive firing pin safety. It's deactivated by pressing the grip safety. When taking the slide off, be careful about not depressing the grip safety or you will push the pin upwards into a recess in the slide and could possibly bend it when trying to get the slide off.
Old April 9, 2007, 10:24 AM   #7
DPris

Or find somebody locally who can teach you what you need to know about your gun. Pay them to do so if you have to & if you can't understand the manual you apparently have that mentions the wrench. Get the wrench, locally if possible, www.Brownells.com if not.
If you're going to buy or own the pistol, do your homework & learn the pistol. A dealer or gunsmith can show you how to break it down for cleaning & reassemble it, so can your manual. You can also search www.Amazon.com for specific books with exploded diagrams & complete disassembly instructions for 1911s, and you can call the Service Department at www.Kimber.com for any specific instructions or cautions regarding the firing pin safety that's unique to their pistols. If you've lost the manual you say mentions the wrench, you can also get a new one from Kimber.
How did you plan to maintain the thing when you acquired it, via Internet instructions?
Denis
Old April 9, 2007, 01:47 PM   #8
tex45acp

mex,

Look around at any gunstore, there in San Antonio, and you should be able to get a bushing wrench. If for some reason you cannot find one, send me an email to mikes@cscportlavaca.org with the title " Need That Bushing Wrench" and I will send you one. I think I have one or two extras lying around. Please use the title above or I might delete it. If I recieve emails fron unknown senders, I delete them.

What DPris said, about finding a local gunsmith and have them teach you, is a very good suggestion, and believe me, the man knows what he is talking about. This way, if you have any questions, during the breakdown/reassembly, you can get them answered immediately. If you are charged.....consider it money well spent.

tex