The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 14, 2007, 08:31 PM   #1
johnsorrick

Star PD .45 ACP

I just recently bought a Star PD .45 ACP. I know what a lot of people say about it, but I actually like it, besides it used to belong to both my dad and my grandpa, I tracked it down. Anyways, I'm having a problem with it not ejecting or chambering a new round during firing, it seems to do just fine if I feed the rounds manually. Any suggestions as to what's going on with this gun? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, I'm looking at carrying it for self defense, any suggestions on what self defense ammo works best with this gun?
Old March 15, 2007, 12:03 AM   #2
Chindo18Z

jonsorrick: Sounds like the pistol might be in need of a new recoil spring. Second most likely culprit would be a bad magazine. You might want to get both.

Stick with 230 gr FMJ ("Hardball") initially. The gun should have no problems with that load. If everything is functioning with hardball, try something like Hydrashock .45 ACP. A lot of weapons from that timeframe were not throated for reliable feeding of hollowpoints. If you find something that appears to work, test fire at a minimum of 40-50 rounds of your chosen load.

Try ordering online from Numrich Arms:

http://www.e-gunparts.com/productsch...2010zPD%20AUTO

Item # 128670, Recoil Spring, Part #40 in the above schematic parts diagram for Star PD. $5.35

http://www.e-gunparts.com/product.as...ductSKU=128670

Glad you have a "third generation" firearm. Nothing wrong with the PD...it was a trend setter back in the '70s. I owned a Star BKM 9mm back then; also a good gun.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Chindo18Z; March 15, 2007 at 07:27 PM. Reason: typo
Old March 15, 2007, 12:09 AM   #3
Charshooter

I knew one man that had the Star and I shot it and it shot well, at least the few times I shot it. If the case it not ejecting it might need a good cleaning?

No loud hippity hop rock music please!
Old March 15, 2007, 12:22 AM   #4
Chindo18Z

Yes, definitely clean and lube. A few drops of oil on the rails, a few more on the locking lugs of the barrel, and a little around the outside first inch or so of the muzzle.

Also check the ejector hook and ensure that it is still present (or at least not chipped or broken).
Old March 15, 2007, 06:52 AM   #5
Seven High

Star PDs are generally very good carry guns. I owned one years ago as an off duty carry weapon. I did notice that after the weapon had been shot, I would find aluminum shavings from the slide rails inside the weapon. I do not know why this was happening.
Old March 15, 2007, 07:18 AM   #6
RickB

They are fun little guns. Are you using factory mags? I bought some cheap aftermarket mags that didn't fit very well.
Old March 15, 2007, 09:24 AM   #7
Abstract

Check to see if the recoil buffer is still affixed to the recoil spring guide rod; if not, good luck on finding a replacement. However, you might be able to fabricate one, starting with a 1911 Shok Buff.

Over a period of time, the original recoil buffers will deteriorate and just fall to pieces. Don't fire the pistol without one.
Old March 15, 2007, 11:42 AM   #8
JR47

The OEM recoil buffers arise fairly often on EPay. You can also find them at Numrich. The loss of the buffer would cause the problem.

My PD will feed Golden Saber, Hydra-Shok, and Black Talon with zero problems. Watch the rear sight, as it can shift under recoil. Back in the 1970s, most people settled on a load, and loc-tited the sight.
Old March 15, 2007, 11:48 AM   #9
Mike Irwin
Staff

they're nice little guns, but apparently some of the parts are getting really hard to find nowdays.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 15, 2007, 01:30 PM   #10
Oldspeed

The Star PD comes with a very light recoil spring for its slide weight. I think Wolf rates it at 12lbs. They offer several increased power springs. I went to 16lbs. and works great. Considering going up to 18lb. spring. Also I installed a Wilson round top plastic magazine follower and HD mag. spring. Also works fine. I removed the factory plastic buffer which goes to pieces and replaced with a Wilson Shok-Buff. No malfunctions. This gun is very acccurate and dependable. Recoil not bad at all for a 25oz. .45.
Old March 15, 2007, 06:29 PM   #11
revjen45

I noticed that after 50+ rounds my PD started not quite going into battery and it seemed like the recoil spring was weak because I could push the slide forward with very little effort. Where did you get the springs? I like mine and plan to keep it.
Old March 15, 2007, 06:41 PM   #12
Tom2

I read years ago that they did not hold up as good as a US made 45 auto-I think they sort of implied they were sort of a carry a lot and shoot a little type of gun, that they were subject to wear and would not hold up under alot of use as in firing alot. I have seen fairly good deals on nice used ones before, but then I had doubts due to the writeups. How well do they actually hold up for you users? I thought they were certainly a bargain as compared to other compact 45's at the time and not a single ounce of useless metal in there to add unneeded weight.
Old March 15, 2007, 10:19 PM   #13
johnsorrick

Thanks

Thank you all for the advice, gives me some things to look at and get this weapon up and firing. I'll let you all know how it turns out.
Old March 16, 2007, 07:01 AM   #14
BlueTrain

The Star PD is on my long list of guns to buy (I don't have a short list) and I do see them from time to time. In a way, they do exhibit some of the bad features of Spanish made firearms but all the good ones as well. True, they probably won't hold up if you insist on shooting up a box of ammunition every weekend but if it is still in good shape, it should be OK.

I once bought a brand new BKM, supposedly one of the last sold by Interarms, and proceeded to shoot a box of ammo every weekend. It was a delightful gun but wouldn't feed hollowpoints. Curiously enough, it would feed any kind of lead bullet I ever handloaded, included 158-grain swaged semi-wadcutters. That is an offbeat load for a 9mm but it's in the loading manual. Well, eventually some of the parts like the ejector started to loosen a little, though nothing ever broke. I also had a Colt Lightweight Officer's model in .45 ACP (what else?). That made a marginally better carry pistol than the Star, especially if you liked .45 ACP better (toss up to me). But the Colt was a real handful to shoot and I certainly never ran 50 rounds through it every weekend. I also rarely seen any of those, either.

These days my favorite is a Star BM, which is very much a compromise. Compact but sort of heavy, flat, tolerably reliable--and will not be shot much. Although I have dabbled in other systems, I started out with single action autos and I feel most comfortable with them and it is probably better if all that I have have the same drill.

Which they don't.
Buy War Bonds.
Old March 16, 2007, 10:54 AM   #15
RickB

The first one I bought, circa 1992, had a cracked frame. I don't know if it cracked while I had it, or it was cracked when I got it. The disconnector is almost an external part, running in a dovetail-shaped track in the right side of the frame, just beneath the grip panel. The frame wall at the magwell is thin already, then cutting a dovetail in it means the wall is extremely thin, and it cracked at the thinnest point. It didn't seem to affect function, but I bought another one, and retired the first. I ended up selling the "good" one, and parting-out the other.
Old March 16, 2007, 06:41 PM   #16
BFBoy

I had a StarPD in electroless nickel, (they called it Ni-Vel). I bought it around 1984. I shot it quite a bit. As far as fed problems, there were none. It would feed, fire and eject any profile HP. The only problem I had with it was the recoil buffer. I purchased them in bulk, at the time they cost less than $3.00.
I never had a problem with sight shift, so I couldn't comment on that. I fired it out to 25 yards, and it displayed good combat accuracy.
I bought it for the light weight, but it had many of the features one would put on a custom .45. I would, surely, purchase anothe one if I came across a good specimen.
Mike