The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 13, 2007, 03:30 AM   #1
Dead-Nuts-Zero

Help - Rotary Case/media seperator tips and hints?

Just got my new RCBS rotary media seperator. No directions in the box. RCBS website gives very basic info....

Rotary Case / Media Separator
In short order, separate the cleaned cases from the cleaning media. Merely empty the cases and media from the case cleaner into the separator basket. With several turns of the basket handle the media falls to the bottom of the separator, leaving the cases clean and ready to use. The fine dust from the media is trapped inside the separator. Heavy-duty plastic construction for years of trouble-free service. Capacity: about 180 .30-.06 cases or 400 .38 Special cases with media.

87076 Rotary Case / Media separator

OK, so it ain't rocket science but has anyone any favorite tips or hints for using this unit? Dryer sheets to trap dust, shopvac use etc?

Maybe someone can save me a spill and cleanup or help me get better results. Otherwise, it's trial & error just like everyone else.

thanks to all
Old March 13, 2007, 04:51 AM   #2
rwilson452

Big hint, turn the crank slowly. if you go too fast you will toss media all over the place. I treat my media with Lymans rejuvinator right from the get go. it holds down the dust. you don't need to treat it every time. I only do it once. usually the media gets too dirty for me before I need to treat it again. I don't know what your using for media I use walnut. Then again I'm not looking for bling just clean.
Old March 13, 2007, 05:07 AM   #3
garbageman

I use a little bit of rubbing alcohol and strips of paper towels.

You would be amazed at how dirty the paper towels come out.

The alcohol helps keep the dust down and evaporates without leaving a mess, plus helps loosen the tuffer dirt that may be on range brass.

I have been doing it for a while, I pick up a lot of range brass, I read it somewhere, may have even been on this site.
Old March 13, 2007, 05:16 AM   #4
DaveInGA

1. Open sifter
2. Slowly pour brass and media from tumbler into sifter.
3. Close sifter
4. Slowly crank sifter crank handle - continue until media is sifted from brass
5. Open Sifter
6. Remove brass

There, instructions for operating sifter.

Dave
Old March 13, 2007, 11:30 AM   #5
PsychoKnight

One of the best reasons to buy an enclosed designed, like the RCBS, you can crank as fast as you want,media will stay in the enclosure. But doesn't make much difference, except you are able to clear out the cases a little quicker than an open top designs.

Only advice is to handle gently - those plastic pins they call hinges are prone to breakage with the least bit of carelessness.