The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 15, 2007, 03:24 PM   #26
Mossy00

I read it online under the journal articles on my university's database. There's a ton of info online you can find through a google but I prefer peer reviewed journal articles over "credible" sources like wiki or other bull**** websites.
Old February 15, 2007, 04:51 PM   #27
BUSTER51

mossy00,you may want to seek profesional help some time in the near future,you can't go around killing people for shooting animals.let the system deal with it.
Old February 16, 2007, 11:12 AM   #28
biglabsrule

Seems strange to me we don't have wild cats in my area. The snow is at least six feet deep out there right now and I rarely see wild cats survive a winter without beeing aided by a cat lover. Maybe that's why I don't understand killing a cat, but I understand your reasoning.
I killed my first coyote this last november. I never had the hatred for them like most other hunters have. They always gave me a line like, " on shot you can get on a yote is a good shot" or "even if you can only wound it, it'll die eventualy" The only reason I killed this one is because I had such a clear shot on it, 25 yards away in the woods and no cover in the line of sight. One shot droped him. I admire the way a predator moves through the woods, I watched this yote for a few seconds before I took my shot, they do move gracefuly and I felt bad about being the one to end its life. I think predator animals get a realy bad rap, in my area of upstate NY the deer population has exploded and a lack of hunters and wolves isn't helping the problem. Course these are just my opinions on the matters at hand... carry on
Old February 16, 2007, 11:42 AM   #29
Smoke Screen

Holy cow! Seriously??? I can't believe someone acutally said they'd shoot someone who shot a cat or dog!! You gotta be kidding me!! Some people need to marinate on their thoughts and think of the ramifications of such actions before they go opening up their yapper. You put that small of a price tag on a human life?? Na-uh. Not right. If someone shoots your animal, take them to court!

I would kill a feral cat anyday unless I felt it was doing some good. (ie lots of mice in the area) and would and do hunt coyotes on a regular basis. They're shifty and a hoot to hunt.
Old February 16, 2007, 06:10 PM   #30
OJ

In the 1930s, major efforts were made to eradicate coyotes in the cattle ranching area (sandhills) of western Nebraska because ranchers thought coyotes were a threat to their calf population. Franklly, I was never convinced they were that much threat.

Now, coyotes are more crafty than the average animal and, while the population of them thinned, they prevailed. The efforts did produce an unbelievable increase in rabbit population, though, which I had no objection to and I did my best to solve that problem. This is me in 1934 doing my part to reduce the overpopulation of rabbits.

My real goal in life, as the young cowboy I was, was to rope a coyote - I was pretty good at roping cattle and calves and horses - and coyotes were the ultimate challenge. They could dodge a small loop and jump through a large loop. My horse was fast and a good roping horse - however - continuing to strive for goals we never reach is one of those things that keep life interesting.

Also - fate sometimes looks after us in our best interests whether we like it or not. As many young cowboys that age were prone to do, I hadn't looked far enough ahead to know just what I would have done if I had been able to rope one and we didn't routinely carry sidearms or rifles. I suspect I would have had my hands full with a real problem - assuming my horse didn't buck my off and book, probably the best choice would have been to let the coyote go and hope to be able to follow him and get my rope back.

It was more than aerage fun, though. God looks after drunks, fools, and little cowboys.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Last edited by OJ; February 17, 2007 at 12:23 AM.
Old February 16, 2007, 09:14 PM   #31
rem33

I think the only time I ever spend any time actively hunting cats was several years ago. Near where I lived there was a Wildlife Management Area. Controlled by Fish and Game. Signs are posted there and no one is allowed access between Feb. to July for birds to nest. There was only one house on the edge of that WMA where a old lady lived that was in the 80 to 90 year age group. She would put out feed to any and all cats that came around. It must have been a popular place to dump cats. On a snowy covered ground day I counted over 50 by her back door and my neighbor said he had counted over 70. Him, I and the boys from both households would go there to purposely shoot cats.
Finally F&G did everyone a favor and she was left with only a couple of cats or so.
Old February 16, 2007, 10:34 PM   #32
Scorch

Quote:
I admire the way a predator moves through the woods, I watched this yote for a few seconds before I took my shot, they do move gracefuly and I felt bad about being the one to end its life.
I kind of share that feeling. I gained a lot of respect for coyotes by hunting them for pelts in the early 1980s. Over 3 years, I shot about 200 coyotes for their pelts, and I learned a lot about them during that time. I understand why some folks hate them (they're terribly destructive on small livestock, for example), but a lot of the folks that are most adamant about killing them never owned livestock in the first place. My guess is that those folks think it makes them some kind of mountain man or some such BS if they can just shoot a coyote. I don't object to killing, but you ought to know the real reason why you are out to kill something.
Taylor Machine
Old February 16, 2007, 10:45 PM   #33
Mossy00

I assume everyone here kills stray dogs too.
Old February 16, 2007, 10:52 PM   #34
JohnKSa
Staff

I too would kill anyone who shot my cat.

But only because to do so they would have had to forcibly break into my home with a firearm and would therefore pose a mortal threat to me as defined by the deadly force laws of my state.

In other words, while I care a great deal for my pet, it's not in any danger of being shot. In fact BECAUSE I care a great deal for my pet it's not in any danger of being shot.

Now, if I DIDN'T care about it I might let it roam freely where it could be shot, injured by wild animals, hit by cars, infected with various diseases from feral cats, become infested with parasites, etc.

It's always seemed a stretch to me that some people would have you believe that they care so little about their pet that they think nothing of exposing it to all these dangers and yet at the same time care so much for it that they would defend it even at the cost of a human life.
Quote:
I assume everyone here kills stray dogs too.
Don't really know where you're going with this one.

For what it's worth, feral animals are feral animals in my book and they all get equal treatment within the law. But equating ferals with strays is not accurate.
Old February 16, 2007, 11:09 PM   #35
Socrates

+1 John

Letting your cat outside is supposed to cut it from 9 lives to 4.5. How could you do that, if you really love your cat?

S
Old February 19, 2007, 07:37 PM   #36
Fat White Boy

I would rather have quail, chukars, pheasants, etc., out in the woods than feral cats. I will shoot feral cats on sight when I am hunting. They are a plague on birds. If a dog has a collar on, I wouldn't shoot it.
Old February 20, 2007, 12:37 PM   #37
Socrates

I respect anything that moves with such grace, and awareness. Think I'll let the others shoot cats, coyotes, and foxes. I do my hunting of those spieces with a camera:

This fox came straight across the golf course, at our house. He may have been eating food we had been leaving out for our friends outdoor cat, while they were on vacation. Crows scared him off, and also told me he was out and about. He took off, I got dressed, ran out, and at 140 yards took this picture from behind a tree. I moved to get a better shot, and, the fox bounded, in one bounce, into the woods, and was gone. We have a lot of deer, and some missing outdoor cats. Now I know why.

We also had a skunk in the house one night, and, a nice buck came up, and let my girlfriend pet him, over the porch rail. We have an area where deer like to feed at night, and it's fun hitting them with the 10k torch.

S
Old February 20, 2007, 12:50 PM   #38
1911 fan

cat killin

I pesonally don't much care for cats but i only kill to survive so unless i was gonna eat it:barf: or it was threatening me or a family member i really can't justify killin one.
Old February 20, 2007, 09:41 PM   #39
MD_Willington

Our neighbour has feral cats, lots of them, they help keep the mice out of my house, the coyotes love the cats, they keep the number of cats down in our area, I've seen them (coyotes) run in town at night. The locals then cull the coyotes. It all seems to work out for everyone.
Old March 13, 2007, 12:28 AM   #40
hj28rules

I love domesticated dogs and cats. It's the free-range feral hogs and ever-increasing coyote population here in North-West Texas that makes me want to lock and load.