The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 25, 2007, 04:16 PM   #1
ShootingNut

Checking Primer pocket

Somewhere I read, one should always check the primer pocket for any crud, and scrape it out with a flat screwdriver or tool. When using a Turret press, or a Progressive Press, who pulls the casing out after the die has punched out the old primer, to inspect and scrape if needed?
Or, is this suggestion for a single stage press operation? I'm new, still learning!
Thanks!
Old February 25, 2007, 04:19 PM   #2
CrustyFN

I don't clean primer pockets on pistol brass and I don't load rifle yet. You will probably find that most people don't clean primer pockets for pistol.
Rusty
Old February 25, 2007, 04:51 PM   #3
Abstract

I only clean primer pockets on my rifle brass that I'm trying to load for my version of precision.
Old February 25, 2007, 04:52 PM   #4
tharmer

It works for me because I deprime and resize my brass, then tumble it. After it's tumbled, I trim, clean the primer hole, chamfer inside and outside...then run it through the progressive press (LoadMaster) again, resizing again, priming, filling, seating, and a final resize. Then a light tumble of the finished rounds and I'm done. Beautiful rounds. Proud to put them in my gun. It's a hobby after all.
Old February 25, 2007, 04:56 PM   #5
ShootingNut

tharmer

You are a real perfectionist man, I'll bet they are beautiful reloads, keep it up to each his own!
Old February 25, 2007, 05:25 PM   #6
TEDDY

primer cleaning

I too decap/but I clean/then prime with hand tool/then run thu press.i like it that way because i've had trouble in the past with primer feed.
Old February 25, 2007, 05:29 PM   #7
ShootingNut

teddy

problems with Primer Feed with what reloading equipment? Hope it's not the
Lee Classic Turret setup?
Old February 25, 2007, 11:25 PM   #8
Abstract

Quote:
You are a real perfectionist man, I'll bet they are beautiful reloads, keep it up to each his own!
If he were a perfectionist, you wouldn't find the word, "Loadmaster", in his post. Also wouldn't find him doing all that supercilious crap with his reloads.
Old February 27, 2007, 11:27 PM   #9
amamnn

if you are going to load match rounds, then by all means clean the primer pocket and deburr the flash hole. After you've been doing it for a while, you'll notice that all the tool you really need is the primer pocker uniformer, because you'll need to uniform ever 2- 4 reloadings or so, anyway, and nothing cleans the pocket better than your uniformer, once you've set it.