The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 21, 2007, 07:45 PM   #1
indy245

629-2 S&W .44 manufacture date?

I've searched a few forums and the web to find the manufacture date of a used S&W M629-2 I just bought, I can not find this info anywhere - so far. Where can I find this information? Also I read a few arcticles on carrying with six cartriges in the gun and that with some guns this is unsafe. Should this gun be carried with 5 rounds? Does this condition apply to this 629? Thank-you for any help - obviously I'm new to revolvers.
This gun does not have "the lock" - I assume that I can say it was made before a certain day but I would like the specific year. Ser.# is BCA2786.

Last edited by indy245; February 21, 2007 at 08:01 PM. Reason: More info on the
Old February 21, 2007, 11:14 PM   #2
vanilla_gorilla

The 629 was produced first in 1988 as the -2 variant. In 1989, the variant -2E was introduced, with the E symbolizing the endurance package, since the guns tended to need a little help with the heavy recoil of a steady diet of full-house .44 loads.

That's as close as I can get, but a letter and $30 to Roy Jinks at S&W will get you when it was shipped and where.
Old February 22, 2007, 05:01 AM   #3
PzGren

I have a 629-2 Classic Hunter with the unfluted cylinder and 8 3/8" barrel. Unfortunately S&W had put the experimental floating hand in -2 models. They changed back to a regular hand for the -3.
If you are unsatisfied with your trigger pull or carry up, you can order a hand from S&W for around $18 and change the hand out. It just needs minor fitting and maybe adjustment.

On the other hand, if it's not broken, no need to fix it.
Old February 22, 2007, 05:49 AM   #4
NCHornet

Carry all 6 rounds with you, there is no reason to have a empty chamber, just make sure you don't carry it with the hammer cocked. Be very careful when you drop the hammer down on a live round, this is not dangerous if you pay attention to what you are doing. I hold the hammer back with my thumb, while gently pulling the trigger, when the hammer releases slowly lower the hammer down on the loaded chamber. I have two 629's and love them, I have a 4" and a 8 3/8" with Leupold scope. This is a big gun for CCW, I have carried my 4" and concealed it okay with a pancake holster held tight. It just gets a bit heavy after all day carry. The 240 grain Hydrashocks are a great SD round in the 629.
Old February 22, 2007, 06:40 PM   #5
indy245

Thanks for the replies. I just took the gun to the range today and fired it for the first time. Every store in my area (4 gun stores in a rural area) is out of .44 ammo. I had to "borrow" some hand loads from a guy that I work with in order to ensure that the gun does work or perform under firing conditions . The gun seems to work flawless - I made a few adjustments to the sights and it is shooting as accurate as I can shoot. Great gun. The loads that I'm shooting are: 22 grain Hercules 2400, 245 grain semi-wad cutters - the guy that loaded these was sure that they will work well in this gun; Although he shoots a Ruger Redhawk. My question is now are there any 'Factory' loads that I should stay clear of for the 629-2 S&W?
Old February 22, 2007, 06:43 PM   #6
indy245

I'm not too sure what the floating hand is? The trigger pulls seems smooth and in SA very light. This has been the best trigger of all the guns that I own......Of course that means that it is the best of what I know - could be a terrible trigger.