The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 10, 2007, 07:59 PM   #1
Crosshair

Plated bullets in 44 Mag Desert Eagle?

I have used the search function with mixed results. So I gusss it is a good time to make a thread dedicated to this issue.

Is it OK to use Plated bullets in the Desert Eagle? I was planing on using Berry's brand plated bullets since from what I can find, they tend to have a slightly thicker jacket and better quality overall. Plus, the price is right.

What is the consensus on plated bullets for the DE?
Old January 13, 2007, 06:27 PM   #2
James A. Mullins

Plated bullets

Plated bullets use a plating system (electrolic) then they are sized. Try some and check for fouling. They are not lubed like cast bullets. The lube and melted lead foul the gas ports with cast.
James
Old January 14, 2007, 12:58 AM   #3
ATCDoktor

Crosshair, I have no experience with Berry's 44 caliber bullets. However, I have fired around a thousand or so Berry's 350 Plated 50 caliber bullets through my DE in 50 AE. They work fine.

That being said, Berry's 50 caliber bullets were built to be fired in the 500 S&W and Berry's states they are rated to 1700 FPS. I have fired 1000's thru my 500 S&W's and they are a good low cost practice bullet.

Give them a try, I bet you will find that they work well. I would work loads up carefully to ensure that the plating will support the pressures you intend to operate at.

Here is a 5 shot group using Berry's plated bullets out of my 50 Cal DE, 28.5 grains of H110 and their 350 grain bullet. Distance: 25 yards.

Old January 16, 2007, 01:08 AM   #4
James A. Mullins

Outstanding!
James