The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 12, 2007, 01:59 PM   #1
rahtreelimbs

Hornady's Light Magnum???

On the the "Light Magnum" series of ammo.......just what are they doing to achieve such performance?

I remember reading sometime ago that the powder charge is higher. My guess was that they were using a slighly slower powder and somehow "staging" the powder charge!
Old January 12, 2007, 02:20 PM   #2
snuffy

Can't be duplicated

If that's what you're asking, then we, as handloaders can't duplicate the "light magnums". It appears to be a compressed load of some special powder, only available to the factory.

If by "staged" you mean a duplex charge,( a small charge of fast powder under a large charge of slow powder), that is also a possibility. Again, not something we can match for that "better" performance.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old January 12, 2007, 07:49 PM   #3
firechicken

A few years ago, a friend of mine had some Hornady 30-06 150gr Light Mag ammo. I had him fire a few rounds over my chronograph. We were not impressed. I don't have the data handy, but they were all in the 2950fps range. Hornady says 3100fps. I don't remember the how long the barrel was, but I'm sure it was 22" or 24". 2950fps with a 150gr bullet in 30-06 should be easily reached for a handloader. IMR and Hogdon both list loads over 3000fps from a 24" barrel.
Old January 13, 2007, 04:23 PM   #4
mrawesome22

They are mixing 2 different powders into the case. I doubt this kind of powder data will ever be available to the public. Just imagine if Joe reloader got the charges for each powder backwards And I doubt they can exceed what the reloader can produce anyway. Another thing, just cause it's faster don't mean it's better. I'll take a slower, more accurate cartridge anyday.

Just as a side note, I love Hornady bullets for reloading. But I've never shot a really accurate Hornady factory round. I'm sure many have, but I haven't.
Old January 13, 2007, 05:46 PM   #5
30Cal

I shoot a 7x57 with a 140gr Sierra gameking and H414. The Hornady Light Magnum pretty much duplicates my load--same zero at least out to 200yds.

Ty
Old January 14, 2007, 02:42 PM   #6
paknheat

Hornady uses a "blend" for both the Light and HEAVY Mag. loads I was told by a Hornady rep that Ramshot magnum is one of the propellant used for these loads.I have never tried them though, as i preferr to make my own. My freinds wife shoots the light mag. loads in both her .243 Win and 7mm Rem Mag and swears by them.
Old January 15, 2007, 12:13 PM   #7
BigJakeJ1s

I don't know much about reloading for gas operated semiautomatics, but their website has a warning not to use light magnums for gas semiautos. I wonder if the pressure profile, not necessarily the maximum pressure, is substantially different from traditional loads. Their marketing fluff says they use a new, "cool burning" powder.

Andy