The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 11, 2007, 09:21 PM   #1
shooter_john

Loading .38 Spl loads in .357 Cases?

I was reading in a magazine recently (maybe G&A) and they suggested loading 38 loads in .357 Mag cases instead of shooting .38's in a .357 (To alleviate fouling and leading in the cylinder). Is this recommended or is it a common practice that I have been completely unaware of?
Thanks in advance!
Old January 11, 2007, 09:33 PM   #2
cheygriz

That's the kind of "bovine excrement" that I've come to expect from G&A. There's no reason to waste .357 cases on .38 loads.
Old January 12, 2007, 04:29 PM   #3
roc1

I load light and heavy loads in .357 cases just so I only have to bother with one case instead of two.I do the same on 44mag.It makes loading easier.
roc1
Old January 12, 2007, 05:04 PM   #4
Smokey Joe

Loading for a .357

Shooter John--I too load light and heavy loads alike in .357magnum cases, and I too don't care to fool with using .38spl cases at all.

I keep my cases for the heavy hunting loads separate--They last for far fewer loadings, but I don't load nor shoot nearly as many hunting rounds. So those cases still last for years.

I shoot bullseye pistol with the same S&W 586 revolver, loading .38-level rounds of lead double-ended wad cutters. Of these I load quite a few, and the cases seem to last forever. I think that most bullseye pistol shooters who use a .357magnum weapon do it this way.

This DOES avoid the development of a ring of residue in the chambers at the .38spl length, which would make chambering a .357magnum case difficult. And shooting bullseye league, plus practicing 2-3-4 times/week, I do NOT clean my revolver after every range session.

So, I'm sorry, Cheygriz; to each his own, and I have one less bucket of empty cases to sort than you do. Please yourself--Do your reloading your way, but that doesn't make my way B. S.

--Smokey Joe