The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 8, 2007, 09:28 AM   #1
Buckythebrewer

16" barreled 7.62x39 sks,,Bullet advice for hunting Maine deer?:)

Well,I just was given a short+sweet Paratrooper version of the sks That would make a GREAT deer rifle.Any advice on Bullet selection with the limited velocity of the 16" barrel??I want to make some nice reloads for hunting next year but am not sure what would make the best bullet with the reduced velocity of the 16" barrel.I won't be taking a shot beyond 100yrds or so(lucky to get 50yrds).Thanks for any advice..
Old January 8, 2007, 07:37 PM   #2
k in AR

Bucky,
I have have had very good results using the Federal SP ammo. The Winchester is even more accurate in my rifle, but hard to find. Eather one is "hunting ammo" with a USA mfg and very effective out to 100 yards with good shot placement. A little more pricy, but worth it in the long run.
Old January 9, 2007, 10:59 AM   #3
castnblast

Just don't use the FMJ stuff...You're not loosing that much velocity out of that barrel. A Lot less than you think, maybe 200 fps tops. When you start reloading next year, try a faster burning powder, perhaps benchmark and 130ish bullet or lighter, and you should have yourself a potent round. You may need to call Hodgdon to get data for it, but It should work well IMO...It was created for 224 cals, and .308 in the 160 gr. range.
Old January 9, 2007, 07:44 PM   #4
k in AR

Bucky, sorry I didn't read the "reloading" part, my bad...

When reloading the 7.62x39 I have had the best results using the Speer, .311dia, 123gr Spitz-SP bullets. The powder I had the best success with was IMR 4198, and my best accuracy came in with a mid range load, not the max.

But with your short barrel this probably isn't the best choice. I would agree with Castnblast as to trying some of the faster powders. I would think something like AA1680 or N120 should fit the bill.
Old January 9, 2007, 08:12 PM   #5
Sarge

Wolf 154 softpoint
Old January 9, 2007, 08:19 PM   #6
Buckythebrewer

thanks for the advice.I figured it would not be to critical, but figured there would be a better load for the 16" barrel..Im sure range is key to a good load.I won't take a long shot anyways so it won't be so critical..I have a few pointed SP bullets that would probably be perfect..I have some redding dies that I will try sometime.I just need the pilot for my Lee trimmer and I should be all set(already reload for my ar15).
Old January 9, 2007, 11:29 PM   #7
Sarge

Hey HBucky,

I tested a few different softpoints here if you're interested. JethroLab ain't scientific, but it is fun- and at least gives you an idea of how different rounds react to the same medium.
Old January 10, 2007, 09:03 PM   #8
Buckythebrewer

Cool ,thanks
I love trying backyard balistics