The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 7, 2007, 05:33 PM   #1
Yellowfin

Match bullets for me?

My .30-06 is a plain, straight from the factory Browning a-bolt, somewhat short, very light, not tuned in much of any way except for a little trigger work. I am strongly considering handloading to be able to practice to build up proficiency, some at 100 yds, 200 if I get the chance. Will it be worth my while to load HPBT match bullets (such as the 168 gr Sierra which gathers considerable praise from what I have read) to get more accuracy for practice, or will it not make significant gains over hunting worthy soft point boattails in which case I should just do one batch for everything? Probably the most I'll do at a time will be 50 or 100, unless I get a lot more downtime than I think I will.
Old January 7, 2007, 11:53 PM   #2
Zak Smith

Some hunting bullets are more accurate than others. Match bullets will usually be a little more accurate than most hunting bullets. At close range like 200 yards, you are unlikely to tell much difference.

If this is going to be a hunting rifle, not a match or practice rifle, I recommend practicing with the bullets you will be hunting with.
Old January 9, 2007, 06:15 PM   #3
amamnn

I shoot a lot of .30 benchrest and I also shoot a .30-06 sporter for fun. I never expect to get anywhere near the same accuracy from the sporter and so the only time I run match bullets through it is when I load rounds for it using my BR culls.
A very good bullet with potential accuracy approaching the Sierra Matchkings and somewhat less expensive is the Combined Technology bullet. I have heard the opinion that the CT is just a Nosler ballistic tip with a lube coating, but I have shot both and in my gun, the CT wins hands down for accuracy. The CT is a very popular bullet with hunters here that load their own both for the accuracy and different types of controlled expansion bullets available in the CTs. You can find out more on the Nosler website.
Old January 10, 2007, 04:38 AM   #4
mrawesome22

I would definitely take up handloading. Ammo will be cheaper and you can make custom rounds for your gun.
Old January 10, 2007, 12:13 PM   #5
rnovi

Practice with the bullets you are going to use for the guns primary purpose. If it's a hunting weapon, practice with a hunting load.

For instance: my .350 rem mag: I load a 225 gr Sierra BT Game king. It's plenty accurate and more than enough bullet for any thin-skinned game. For tougher game I simply shift to a more durable bullet in the same weight: Nosler 225 Partition. Point of impact stays very close to each other so I don't have to keep re-zeroing my rifle.

"Remember, Eagles may soar but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!"