The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 3, 2007, 04:44 PM   #1
skipjack

yellow and pink powder?

I pulled a few bullets from some duds; remanufactured ammo. They were plated 148 grain wadcutters for 38 special, and the charge was 2.5 grains of a powder I am not familiar with. It is yellow and pink in color. I normally load bullseye for wadcutters, but I am curious if anyone knows what that powder might be. Any help is appreciated!
Old January 3, 2007, 06:44 PM   #2
mete

Powder is usually grey because it's coated with graphite to make it flow better .Perhaps yours isn't . However when powder deteriorates it can turn orange or redish and should then smell not of the normal solvents but an acrid or ammonia smell. That's no longer safe !!! If you have any doubts , dump it !!
Old January 3, 2007, 07:07 PM   #3
tINY

It could be filler for a low charge of some other powder too. Is there any black in there?

-tINY

Old January 3, 2007, 07:12 PM   #4
Jim Watson

I think there are some European powders of such funky colors. The commercial reloader here uses whatever is cheap and will go bang, within reasonable safety limits. Plated wadcutters and duds. Trash.
Old January 3, 2007, 11:16 PM   #5
skipjack

I wasn't planning on using it, just hadn't seen anything like it before.
As I stated, I use bullseye.

Jim, there is nothing wrong with plated wadcutters, at least in my experience.
Lead is not permitted at the indoor range where I shoot, and the reloaded stuff up til now has been pretty accurate. I cast bullets, including .358 wadcutters, and the only difference I see is the cost. That, and the plated bullets leave my revolver cleaner.

Thanks to all who replied!
Old January 3, 2007, 11:59 PM   #6
flutedchamber

I pulled some military 9mm apart because I thought it may be corrosive. The primers and bullets were completely sealed, and the powder, which looked like a miniature version of IMR4064, but it was amber in color. It was not yellow, and you could see through the individual powder kernals. The ammo was made in Germany during WWII.
Old January 4, 2007, 12:09 AM   #7
Jim Watson

MY only experience with plated .38 wadcutters is shooting some that would not stay on a 3x4 foot target backer at 50 yards from a Ransom Rest. The gun was shooting generic .357 Magnum hollowpoints into less than 2 inches and about any lead or jacketed .38 or .357 reload into 3-4 inches.
I am glad you get better results.
Old January 4, 2007, 01:39 PM   #8
amamnn

That was a one time special loading for the Chicago Police Dept. on the anticipated occasion of the city's first gay pride parade.