The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 30, 2006, 10:01 PM   #1
BIGR

Remington Model 7600 Rifle

Anyone have any information about the model 7600 Pump Gun that Remington makes. For some reason I have a urge to purchase one to take on an ocassional deer hunt. The pump action would be no slouch and would offer quick follow up shots. Last year Gander Mountain had a stainless or nicklel looking 7600 in .308 but I didn't buy it because I wanted a 30.06. That must have been a special run of rifles because I have not seen a stainless 7600 since then. Anyone familiar with that style of the 7600? All I can find now is a blued and matte finished 7600 in wood and synthetic. I would prefer the stainless 7600 but might have to settle for one in the matte finish. Should I get the Carbine (18.5 IN. Barrel) or the regular one with the 22 in> barrel? Guess I should have bought that one last year that was chambered for .308. I don't own any .308's but Bambi probably wouldn't know the difference between the 06 and .308.
Old November 30, 2006, 11:31 PM   #2
Reyn

Im in the same boat you are. Ive been researching the 7600 for the past 2 weeks. I really like the carbine in 30-06. I just wish i could shoot one first. Im mainly curious to the accuracy especially in the carbine.
Old December 1, 2006, 12:24 AM   #3
rem33

Used can be reasonable

Several guys I have spoke with that were hunting with Remington's pumps seemed like them fine.
Being a lefty I have contemplated buying one. Especially the carbine as a truck gun. They are so short but still a 30-06 which I usually hunt with.
I know where couple are as I write this, a carbine for $325 and a 22' barrel for 225. It was hard to not buy the full size and just cut down the barrel. It looks used on the outside but the bore looks new. I wouldn't mind shorting it and would kinda like to try one of Midways crowning tools anyway. I better stop before I talk myself into one, when something mid sized as in a 24 or 25 caliber is what I really want next.

Accuracy should be just fine in a carbine but you would lose a few FPS. I doubt a deer would know the difference.
I have never seen one in stainless.
Old December 1, 2006, 04:05 AM   #4
Jack O'Conner

Don't believe anyone who tells you that Remington pump rifles are brush guns. The typical accurasy produced by these rifles is outstanding! I like to think of the action type as a bolt action operated by a slide handle. Very fast, very accurate.

This photo shows an older model 760. This is a .243 which is a favorite for long shots in antelope country. This rifle is a tack driver and will shoot less than 1 inch groups with 95 grain Ballistic Tips. The 7600 is simply an improved version but has the same features.

Most Western hunters I know have a basic big game rifle and it is a 30-06 bolt action of varying makes and models. For some reason the slide action has never really taken off in western sales the same as states in the east. But the 7600 is a genuine keeper and you'll be pleased with its performance. 308 is an excellent all around hunting cartridge; that's what I use for elk hunts each Fall and it's never let me down.

Jack
Old December 1, 2006, 05:46 AM   #5
Picher

The 7600 is the best rifle for someone who uses a pump shotgun. IMHO, it's almost as good a deer rifle as a bolt action, but I don't own one. I'm a bolt-action guy and can shoot a second aimed shot almost as quickly as many people can with a pump.

People who are used to pumps can shoot them as quickly, sometimes more quickly than semi-autos. Having a completely steel receiver area avoids bedding problems caused by weather and there are no screws to get loose. The barrel is free-floating, so accuracy is on a par with the better bolt actions. Pumps are also a bit lighter than semi-autos.

There are only a few problems with pumps. One is that they work best with factory ammo, so that limits accuracy/flexibilty to whatever you can get off the shelf. If ammo doesn't fit just right, or a bit of woods junk gets into the chamber, ejection can be difficult. That's not a serious problem for most people. The other problem for me is that the pump handles tend to be just a bit loose and can rattle just a little. People used to pumps don't seem to worry about that, but it bothers me.

Bottom line is that if you like pumps, the 7600 is a very fine rifle. Some of the best deer hunters use them and nothing else.

Picher
Old December 1, 2006, 09:10 AM   #6
remjeep75

i have a special run 7600 in 30-06 and it is by far one of my faviorite guns i own. i have the laminated special run so i dont how good the stainless one is, probably just as good
Old December 1, 2006, 09:33 AM   #7
FirstFreedom

It's a good rifle, and a bit faster on the follow up than a turnbolt. However, one small disadvantage is, if you shoot a round that is a bit too hot (handload let's say), and the brass gets sticky in the chamber, you don't have the same leverage on the case to extract it as you do with a turnbolt - at least that's my understanding. But the accuracy that Jack and others have experienced is impressive.
Old December 1, 2006, 12:43 PM   #8
biglabsrule

My father owns 2 760 remingtons, One is his hunting rifle, .30-06 full length, the other is a show piece, bicentenial .270 shot maybe 5 or so times just to sight in the scope pretty close to dead on. He shoots left and stands by them. The action is based on the 870 shot gun design, his first hunting gun was an 870 with slugs so makes for a nice transision. Anyone used to pump shotguns would be more than at him with a 7600 or older 760... If you live in a swampy hole like me then go with the carbine, I ended up buying the 7400 carbine(semi rather than pump) the desing is the same, still has twin rods and even the mags are interchangeable...
Old December 1, 2006, 02:01 PM   #9
john in jax

Not a significant difference between the 18.5" bbl and the 22" bbl accuracy-wise. Either one can/will/should shoot MOA at 100 yards.

And as you mentioned not much difference between .308 and .30-06. If you might hunt BIG game with it the .30-06 will handle heavier bullets, like a 220 grn better, but for small & medium game they are so similar it doesn't make a difference.

Buy what fits you and feels best.
Old December 1, 2006, 05:38 PM   #10
Huntergirl

I have an older 760 in 30-06, and shot a nice antelope 2 yrs ago at 229yds bang flop. I had the stock cut down a little to fit me perfect. I just shoot the 150s and Rem 180 cor-locts out of it, and its very accurate. Wouldn't trust the newer high tech cartridges, don't know how the action would wear. It really has a smooth cycle, but its an old rifle. Don't know how smooth the new ones are. The 7600 in 35whelan caught my eye awhile back, but would have to get rid of something to get it.
Old December 3, 2006, 07:01 PM   #11
jonutarr

Quote:
a stainless or nicklel looking 7600 in .308 but I didn't buy it because I wanted a 30.06. That must have been a special run of rifles because I have not seen a stainless 7600 since then. Anyone familiar with that style of the 7600?
Yep thats the one i have
one of the best looking rifles ive ever seen with excellent performance, cant wait till go pig hunting with it
just keep them well lubed and it will be fine
Old December 4, 2006, 05:31 PM   #12
rugmar

I have this one and I absolutely love it. It's the carbine model in 30.06
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Remington-7600 Caliber 30-06 Sprg.jpg (48.5 KB, 138 views)