The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 16, 2006, 12:38 AM   #1
makmak

how do you correctly install a roll pin?

here's the story: I bought a muzzle brake for my mini-14. i installed it, and during the initial fit it was true and in the correct place. however, once i hanmmered in the pin ( as per mfg.'s instructions) i found the sight was off by 5-10 degrees. If I focus on the very edge of the right side of the sight it will still be on target, but this requires a bit of "kentucky windage". should I reinstall the pin or should i drill and tap the cross pin to take a small screw to secure the muzzle break? or should I just say screw it, buy a threaded muzzle brake and thread the barrel to accept it? I have a scout mount on the rifle, so I might have options for back-up sights on the rail. any suggestions? I'm not looking for the easiest fix, but for the most effective/bad@ss solution.

Last edited by makmak; November 16, 2006 at 02:13 PM.
Old November 16, 2006, 10:43 AM   #2
Ausserordeutlich

First, if you're, indeed, working with a roll pin, then you probably need a roll pin punch for proper installation. If you don't know the difference in a roll pin and a solid pin, then you should probably get somebody to help you install your muzzle BRAKE.
Old November 16, 2006, 11:02 AM   #3
Edward429451

You need to start with a new pin and have patience. It's a pita to install a brake on a Mini but it can be done. I did mine on the floor on a hockypuck with a hammer & punch.
Old November 17, 2006, 05:17 PM   #4
Alakar

If you do decide to redo it with the roll pin, as suggested earlier, use a roll pin punch. In addition, you need to use a new pin. Roll pins and spring pins are "one time" use and need to be replaced if removed.

To clear up some confusion I've seen - Rolled pins are actually spring pins (i.e. they use some spring tension to stay in place).

There are two types - Slotted Spring Pins

And Coiled Spring Pins

They are not interchangeable. Coiled spring pins are for heavier duty use then slotted spring pins and swaping them could cause a failure.
Old November 17, 2006, 08:47 PM   #5
Bill DeShivs

Anyone ever though the brake could be drilled crooked?
There isn't a whole lot of difference in pins, either solid, rolled or spring. Pretty much, a pin is a pin.
Bill