The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 9, 2006, 10:49 AM   #1
superman

raptor?

I was at the local gunshop the other day and happened on a "Raptor .270". Having never heard of this manufacture, I was wondering if anyone has. The rifle was in used condition, dirty but otherwise in decent condition. The price tag said $300. It appeared to have a 700 action or a copy rather. It was smooth and little creep on the trigger. The barrel and reciever is stainless All in all I like the rifle and thinking of buying it. I wont pay what the price tag says, I think I can talk them down $50 or so. Any comments on this "Raptor". The guy at the gunshop stated that they coppied the remington rifles.
Old November 9, 2006, 11:08 AM   #2
boltgun71

Dont know if this helps, but I remember reading an article on the new Raptor rifle when it first came out around 6 years ago in Outdoor Life I believe. The finish is not stainless steel, but some new at the time finish that is more resistant to corrosion than stainless steel. They did a salt water test I believe and the rifle outlasted all the major manufactures stainless all weather rifles. Accuracy was supposed to be decent, nothing match grade. The rifle I believe new was only priced around the $300-350, so for a used "dirty" rifle you should be able to talk'em down alittle. I considered buying a Raptor when they first came out but stuck with my passion for remingtons instead. The Raptor was a nice looking rifle regardless.
Old November 9, 2006, 01:26 PM   #3
Scorch

I believe the Raptor is now being sold as the Mossberg ATR100 rifle.
Taylor Machine
Old November 9, 2006, 01:36 PM   #4
superman

Thanks for the info. I thought the price of the rifle was a bit much for its condition, I think I will offer them 200 and see what they say. I really dont need it but if you have one gun you need them all.
Old November 10, 2006, 01:02 PM   #5
Superhornet

Picked up one in 30-06 a few years ago..Made under the old Charter Arms 2000 logo...Had a stainless barrel. Not much of a rifle, but shot pretty good..
Old November 10, 2006, 02:54 PM   #6
hoghunting

Scorch is correct that it is now Mossberg. Raptor ran into financial trouble a few years ago and Mossberg bought the company. Mossberg made a few changes then went into production.
Old November 10, 2006, 08:34 PM   #7
joshua

I'm not sure of the reason why they went out of business.
Here's an article on the internet about it: http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...45/ai_55605819

Raptor: The Amazing $249 Hunting Rifle - Brief Article
Guns Magazine, Oct, 1999 by Holt Bodinson
ELEGANT YET AFFORDABLE, THIS NEW GUN IS EVERYTHING A HUNTING RIFLE SHOULD BE.

Elegant rifles are delightful -- finely blued steel, richly figured wood, a touch of engraving, impeccable craftsmanship -- but sticker shock and my budget-minding wife normally keep my more extravagant tastes in check. Every time I tend to go down that slippery slope, I force myself to take 10 deep breaths, get a good night's sleep, and rationalize myself out of another unforgettable collectible.

Well, you know, a huntin' gun should be field tough, able to take a lot of extreme weather, not rust and certainly not lose its zero. It should be affordable, too. Frankly, with the $500-plus price tags most popular brands carry these days, I worry about the financial ability of many aspiring young hunters to buy their first big game rifle. That's why the appearance of the new Raptor is cause for celebration.

At a distance, the Raptor looks like a svelte, synthetic stocked, stainless steel rifle that's ready to go. Its suggested retail price of $249 looks like a typographical error when you're talking about a new .243 Win., .25-06 Rem., .270 Win, or .30-'06.

Advertisement

The Vision Of A Hawk

For at least three years, I have tracked this evolving rifle and its promoter, Halter Cunningham, a world-class falconer and very successful businessman in his own right. Cunningham had a vision -- he wanted to make and market a high-power rifle with a suggested price tag of $249, and now here it is. The design and production process at Raptor Arms that made it possible is rather intriguing.

The secret to the Raptor is a combination of sound design, maximum use of unpolished investment castings and molded parts, and minimum hand labor.

The receiver is cast from 416 stainless steel. Its contours follow those of the Remington 700 so that any scope mount base that fits the Remington will also fit the Raptor. The action incorporates an integral recoil lug and an anti-bind, guide rib along the right action rail that engages a slot in the right locking lug. It's needed, too, since neither the receiver nor bolt castings are polished.

Yes, it looks a little rough around the edges, but as I shot and worked with the Raptor, the areas of initial friction slicked up. If one were even slightly handy, those areas of friction could be easily polished and stoned to a very smooth, working finish.

The bolt body is cast from stainless steel, and it carries its casting marks proudly, as do the bolt handle and bolt shroud. The bolt is fitted with a Sakolike extractor and spring-loaded pin ejector.

A great deal of attention was given to the gas handling characteristics of the bolt and receiver. There are four large gas ports cast into the bottom of the bolt that, in the event of a pressure excursion, would deflect gas into the magazine well when the bolt is locked. To block any gas escaping along the left locking lug raceway, the bolt shroud incorporates a flange that seals off that possibility while the front receiver ring is vented on the left side.

The breeching is similar to that of a Remington; the cartridge case fits into a counterbore in the head of the bolt, and the head of the bolt is positioned inside a counterbore in the end of the barrel. The receiver is hardened to 38-40 Rockwell and the bolt to 48 Rockwell. It's a tough action.

The trigger assembly incorporates a side safety that blocks the trigger and permits the rifle to be unloaded with the safety on. The adjustable trigger as issued by the factory was set up at a very usable 3 1/2 lbs. with a wee bit of creep. Frankly, at a time when we see major factories setting up their triggers at 6 lbs. and 7 lbs., the Raptor trigger was a refreshing surprise and certainly added to the accuracy the rifle displayed on the range.

Taking Wing

The black, synthetic stock of the Raptor is molded from a fiberglass-reinforced polymer. Its lines are classic with a Monte Carlo cheekpiece and checkering panels cast into the forearm and pistol grip. Although the basic Raptor model comes without iron sights, the comb line is set at a level that would make shooting from open sights very comfortable. If you're a stock crawler and shooting a scope, you might find the comb slightly low.

The fit of the stock to the barreled action is excellent. The light contour 22" barrel -- either chrome-moly or stainless -- is not free floated, but it shot very, very well. Raptor Arms fits each stock with detachable sling swivel bases and a ventilated recoil pad. Length-of-pull measures 13".

The bottom metal is interesting. "Metal" did I say? The complete trigger guard and floorplate assembly consists of a single piece of black polymer that is surprisingly flexible once it's removed from the stock. Once it is removed, out pops the four-round magazine box, stamped follower and U-shaped follower spring.

The subdued, stainless-looking finish on all the metal parts is a baked-on powder coat fittingly called "Taloncote." It's rust resistant, durable and visually, very pleasing.
Old November 14, 2006, 09:49 AM   #8
Superhornet

Logo by Mossberg......made by Maverick Arms out of Texas.
Old November 14, 2006, 10:00 AM   #9
superman

Thanks for that article, and the msrp. I knew the rifle was not worth 300, but my bid of 200 might just be a little high as well. I might just offer 150 and see what they say.