The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 20, 2006, 12:03 AM   #1
bigghoss

new to reloading

while I enjoy shooting alot I haven't gotten into reloading because all my guns shoot realatively cheap ammo. that was untill about 4 months ago when the local sporting goods strore closed down (maybe if had had decent prices...) and had a liquidation auction. aparently noone wanted the like-new(hell as far as I know it hadn't been fired before I got it) synthetic handi-rifle chambered in .45-70 so I got it for a meesly $100! well at alittle better than $1 per round I think it's time to start looking into reloading. problem is aside from bullets I know almost nothing about it. I was thinking about getting a lee loader to start out with but first I need some info. anyone know any good reloading books for beginers (do they make a "reloading for dummies"? lol)
Old October 20, 2006, 06:13 AM   #2
DWARREN123

Lee's reloading book is good, one of the many ABC's of reloading. I believe the Anniversary Kit would be a good starter, it was/is for me.
Dies, primers, powder, brass and bullets and a place to put it all.
If you take to it there is so much more to ease the procedure of reloading.
Old October 20, 2006, 08:59 AM   #3
Ranger61

I second getting a Lee manual as your first step. The Lee does the best job of laying it out for a beginner in my opinion, and of course they demonstrate with Lee equipment which is a good place to start. My best piece of advice is when starting a new hobby, READ as much as you can first, then buy equipment.
Old October 20, 2006, 09:17 AM   #4
Ranger61

I forgot to mention that you should start from the begining with a Load Notebook where you write down each load, what components you used, the overall length, the date it was assembled, identify the box their in and leave room for comments on how the load worked when you fired them. That will really help you when you find a load that you loaded last year and it worked great when you shot it but can't quite remember what you used for components. BEEN THERE & DONE THAT.
Old October 20, 2006, 10:51 AM   #5
bigghoss

alright lee manual and a load notebook to start. good to know. thanks for the info. I'll try to read up on it.
Old October 20, 2006, 06:16 PM   #6
Ares45

It's already been said, but I'll second it. "ABC's of Reloading" is THE place to start. Even better if you get a chance to read it before you start spending money on equipment and components.
Old October 22, 2006, 10:53 AM   #7
Ranger61

Reloading is a lot of fun especially if your the kind of person that likes to experiment. I often tell people who can't understand why I reload 9mm Para that I SHOOT JUST SO I CAN RELOAD !