The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 11, 2006, 08:08 PM   #1
springmom

Here we go

Cabelas has a great price on the Lee Deluxe Turret Press kit, so, after some reading (with much to go, for sure) we finally ordered one. We're going to start just loading for .45acp, since both of us own .45's and shoot them quite a lot. When we get the .44mag revolver(s) we'll definitely load for those.

But this just looks like a great deal of fun, and will, over the next year or so, save us quite a bit of money.

It should be here some time next week. Can't wait.

Springmom

home on the web:
www.panagia-icons.net (my webpage)
www.nousfromspring.blogspot.com (Orthodoxy)

"I couldn't hear you. Stop firing the gun while you're talking!" Frank Drebin, The Naked Gun
Old October 11, 2006, 09:39 PM   #2
Dave R

Congrats!

Reloading has really increased my enjoyment of the shooting sports, in addition to the financial benefits. I hope you get the same increase in enjoyment.

FWIW, my favorite reloading manual is Speer's No. 13.
Old October 11, 2006, 10:09 PM   #3
rwilson452

Reloading

There is a danger to reloading. It becomes addictive. When you reach the point that you go to the range to shoot up some ammo so you have some empty brass to reload what you think will be the ideal load, your doomed to a life of reloading. It is, in fact, a hobby unto itself.

Enjoy your new hobby.
Old October 12, 2006, 06:26 AM   #4
hodaka

Save money?

Not a chance. I think you will find that reloading leads to doing a lot more shooting and although the costs per round will go down significantly, the total amount of money spent on ammo components will increase. Have fun and WW231 with some 230gr cast bullets are the ticket.
Old October 12, 2006, 02:32 PM   #5
Scorch

LOL I think I agree. I shoot a lot more than I would if I didn't reload! And overall, I probably do spend more. But I have a lot of fun!

BTW, the Lee turret press is great. I had one before buying my Lee Pro1000 progressive press for reloading pistol/small rifle. You can take it anywhere and reload in the field, in your garage, in the RV, etc.
Taylor Machine
Old October 12, 2006, 03:09 PM   #6
Nephilim-777

I own a Lee Classic Turret and I have found that I have spent a whole lot more money on ammo because of developing loads and shooting more. It has become a new hobby and I enjoy it.

If your shooting volume doesn't increase you will save money.
Old October 12, 2006, 05:50 PM   #7
Dave R

Quote:
If your shooting volume doesn't increase you will save money.
There's the truth! I'm unfortunate enough to shoot about as much as I ever did. Time constraints...

So I get the real savings. Especially since I bought most of my gear used at less than half of retail...

I also get the fun of shooting in my garage using Speer's plastic training bullets. I use 'em in my .45acp and 9mm pistols. Tons of fun! And really improved my "draw from concealment" and "first shot accuracy."
Old October 12, 2006, 07:56 PM   #8
CrustyFN

Congrats on your new addiction. I just started reloading two weeks ago. It is very relaxing for me. Make sure you have some good reloading books and ask plenty of questions if you aren't sure of something. Have fun and stay safe.
Rusty
Old October 12, 2006, 08:19 PM   #9
clayking

It is much cheaper. Buying bullets, primers, & powder fall under the misc. category in my household budget, afterall, it's not really ammo. Of course, my wife doesn't understand why we can't redo the kitchen as soon as she hoped. ..............ck
Old October 13, 2006, 07:26 AM   #10
Toolman

When I started reloading I bought the Lee anniversary kit & .223 Rem dies. I still think that was the right move for getting started. That was a couple years ago & now I have the Lee Pro-1000 with dies for .223 Rem, .38, .357, .45ACP & 9mil. I use both presses. Make sure you get a couple of good reloading manuals.
Old October 13, 2006, 09:05 AM   #11
Nephilim-777

In my opinion, the Lee anniversary kit is perfect for rifle ammo. It's just a slow PITA to load pistol ammo on. If you want to use the Lee 4 die set, which are great by the way. A turret or a progressive press should be considered as an addition in the future.
Old October 13, 2006, 09:43 AM   #12
springmom

It's the turret kit I'm getting. Featured this month in Guns & Ammo, which tweaked the hubster's interest (I was already itching to do this, myself).

We're starting with .45's but I'll probably load my own deer loads next year.

Let the addiction begin!!!!! MWAHAHAHAHAAAHAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!

Springmom

home on the web:
www.panagia-icons.net (my webpage)
www.nousfromspring.blogspot.com (Orthodoxy)

"I couldn't hear you. Stop firing the gun while you're talking!" Frank Drebin, The Naked Gun
Old October 13, 2006, 10:43 AM   #13
OneInTheChamber

Contrary to popular belief, nobody saves money by reloading. They just shoot a whole lot more!

The turret press is nice for small-medium quantities and especially shines when you have mulitple calibers to reload for. Get multiple primer dispensers, powder measures, and die plates (holds dies). You can change from one caliber to another in 30 seconds that way and already have everything dialed in perfectly.
Old October 13, 2006, 01:15 PM   #14
frankxd

The press featured in this months G&A, is the Lee Classic Turret Press. It is not the same as the Deluxe Turret press. The Classic has a cast iron frame and heavy duty linkages, while the Deluxe has an aluminum frame. Both will do the job, but the Classic is nicer.
Old October 13, 2006, 01:54 PM   #15
Nephilim-777

Quote:
It's the turret kit I'm getting. Featured this month in Guns & Ammo, which tweaked the hubster's interest (I was already itching to do this, myself).
Sorry, I get my threads confused.
Old October 13, 2006, 04:25 PM   #16
castnblast

Yup...i just bought enough stuff at Cabellas after visiting there last week to make enough ammo to fight a small war. Now some is loaded, and working up some "play" rounds for the 22-250. My justification...for the price of 5 boxes, I can make 15...So, when I normally wouldn't shoot 5 boxes of ammo, now that I "can" shoot 15 for the price of 5, I'll shoot 15...because I can...

Dang, I feel sorry for those crows, coyotes, javelina, deer, hogs, snakes, rocks, prickly pear, steal t-post, turkey, rats, dirt clods, coke cans, and who knows what else. Heck, I've always wanted to blow up a small propane bottle. Maybe i'll try that. Can you say BOOM?
Old October 13, 2006, 10:43 PM   #17
Dave R

Quote:
We're starting with .45's but I'll probably load my own deer loads next year.
You know, reloading makes it possible to buy those guns you never got because their ammo was hard to find or expensive.

I got a K-31 after I started reloading. It costs me the same to shoot now as my .308.

Have you ever wanted a 10mm? A .44spcl? A .45-70? A 6.5X55? Reloading makes them all affordable to shoot.