The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

View Poll Results: Lee Perfect Powder Measure
Junk - Elastomer washer shreds easily and without warning. Loads are dangerous! 6 26.09%
Junk - but I hate all Lee stuff 1 4.35%
Junk - but I hate all plastic stuff 1 4.35%
Okay for some reason I stated below 15 65.22%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 10, 2006, 01:34 PM   #26
azredhawk44

Quote:
Yes, I will eventually replace it with something "better". But, with "appropriate" powders, it isn't a bad entry level measure, especially for the budget minded like myself.
And here's the crux of the device.

I don't know about your previous reloading experience prior to owning the Lee PPM, but I'm going to assume it is similar to mine and you can feel free to correct me.

My experience with reloading prior to buying a Lee PPM was about 500 rounds on borrowed equipment. I decided I liked it and geared up. Part of the gear I chose was a Lee PPM. I had experience with exactly one type of powder: Winchester 231. I didn't know the intricacies of Unique versus Win296 versus Reloder15... that they were different shapes and would work in different measures with varying degrees of success.

I would assume that most low-budget reloaders wouldn't have the experience to know this either. They just see the $20 price tag versus the $50-$100 price tag on other powder measures and say, "what the hell, why not?"

But they don't know what powder works best with this.

Mike Irwin might, though... he's a seasoned shooter and reloader who will know that Reloder15 is too long of an extruded powder, that H110/W296 is abrasive in this measure, and the best powders for this measure are H4895SC or some other short cut extruded powder, and with those specific powders this measure will out-perform most metal measures on the market. He knows that the elastomer wiper is replaceable and costs a quarter to replace preventatively. He knows that it will last for x-number of rounds reliably.

The beginning reloader doesn't know that. I certainly didn't. My reloading mentor didn't know that, and he must have 50,000 rounds under his belt on Pacific, Lee, RCBS and Dillon equipment.

Just seems to me that Lee needs to aknowledge this product's weaknesses for safety's sake somehow, even if it as benign as including a couple of replacement wipers in the kit and instructions on how to replace it, along with a general guideline of "replace this part approximately every 1000 throws" with x brand powder. The measure isn't built to change powders often, and it isn't built to take certain types of powders.
Old October 10, 2006, 02:31 PM   #27
Mike Irwin
Staff

"Mike Irwin might, though... he's a seasoned shooter and reloader who will know that Reloder15 is too long of an extruded powder, that H110/W296 is abrasive in this measure, and the best powders for this measure are H4895SC or some other short cut extruded powder..."

Want to know something?

At the time I bought my Lee equipment, I had experience with exactly THREE powders...

WW 231

Red Dot

IMR 4064

At the time I got my Lee equipment I'd have to say that I was a highly experienced reloader, but not a seasoned one, because my experience came in a VERY narrow band.

All the other powders I've listed?

I started loading those after I purchased the Lee equipment.

I bought the Lee equipment on price alone, and have never had any need, or reason, to look back.

Lee claims that their powder measures work perfectly well with extruded stick powders, and claim that the elastomeric wiper system eliminates powder granule cutting of the kind you get with the Uniflow.

Good? Bad? Indifferent? I've no clue on that score, but I do know in the very few instances in which I've used my disk measure to throw charges of IMR-type powders, I've not had any complaints about the performance as compared to my Uniflow...

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old October 10, 2006, 04:28 PM   #28
gb_in_ga

AZRedhawk44:

Ya, you do have a point there. It would be nice to have the potential issues documented, like they do with their hand priming tool. And it would be nice to have those spare wipers, just in case.

I suppose that my situation is sorta different than most, in that I learned how to reload on my father's equipment loading centerfire rifle using, for the most part, longer grained extruded powder of various Dupont (at the time) IMR varieties (Bread and Butter: IMR 3031). And when I was doing that, I NEVER used a powder measure, every charge was individually weighed.

Later, when I started back into reloading, I found myself without any rifles (situation unchanged), hence I haven't been using any of my old, familiar powders. Right now, it is handgun only. That being the case, I find myself using ball or flake powders for the most part, with the exception of H4227 which is short grain extruded and doesn't appear to cause any problems. I haven't gotten around to using H110 / W296 (I've been using H4227 for similar purposes) so I haven't encountered the problems associated with those powders. Anyway, it just turns out that the powders that I was using when re-starting reloading just happened to be relatively non-negative as far as my cheap-o Lee powder measure goes. Just lucky, I guess.
Old October 10, 2006, 05:56 PM   #29
Buckythebrewer

I bet if I were to try imr3031 and always keep the hopper full and run a hopper through before loading I would get almost the same results as I do with h4895 and 2015br( along time ago when I used imr3031 I might have forgot to do that).It just brings me back to saying "follow manufacturers directions before saying something is CRAP"..how easy is it to not adjust the tension on the measure, as well as not have the hopper full,, and also forget to run A hopper of powder through the measure(also letting graphite build-up) when switching powders(at least dump it a bunch of times) before charging your cartridge???doing Any of these things will give you inconsistent charges..We mock what we don't understand btw,I have used my Lee PPM measure for 1000's of loads.
Old October 10, 2006, 10:50 PM   #30
HSMITH

I had a hard time with Bullseye, Blue Dot, Clays, Unique and H110 that I can remember right off the top of my head. BE and H110 would leak unless the measure was really tight, when it was really tight it was hard to operate and varied a couple tenths. I never did get BD, Clays or Unique to meter within .3 grains. The jaw dropper for me was 4350 and other stick powders, that little plastic POS meters the toughest to meter powders money can buy really well. It is fully satisfactory with stick powders, and that to me is shocking when flake just doesn't work well.

I have a Redding 3BR. It meters anything and everything within a tenth once set, doesn't matter what it is. With stick powders it cuts grains and is somewhat of a pain to operate where the Lee PPM just purrs along. Mind boggling to me......
Old October 10, 2006, 11:10 PM   #31
Mike Irwin
Staff

Hell, my Uniflow won't meter Unique very well at all, and certainly not with in my comfort range to use in .32 S&W Long.

Red Dot's a bit better, but not much.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old October 11, 2006, 05:28 PM   #32
Buckythebrewer

Hsmith,I have had the same experience with h335(very fine).I have heard graphite can help it keep from leaking,,Don't know for sure but I don't need it with h4895.I use only h4895 in my measure, and I believe sticking with one powder can help with consistency because my measure is spot on when I check it.Some day I will have to try another powder to prove to myself one way or the other.
Old October 11, 2006, 08:55 PM   #33
45-70

Had one for years, works ok

I've loaded thousands of rounds with it, usually without a variance of more than .1 gr (I check with a Dillon scale about every 25 rounds). Agreed, some coarser powders work less than "perfect" and it will not measure 1.3 grains of Titegroup for .38S&W, but it's OK.
Old October 12, 2006, 10:27 AM   #34
frankxd

I use it with the adjustable charge bar. Once you figure out the correct setting to throw a particular charge weight, it is very consistent. I have tried using the disks, and I don't like them.
Old October 12, 2006, 02:05 PM   #35
Scorch

Lots of pros, a few cons. Good sucesses, minor failures. Sounds like you just can't satisfy everyone.
Taylor Machine