The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 6, 2006, 01:26 PM   #1
PsychoKnight

Vihtavuori 320 in Los Angeles

Called all of the Manufacturer's dealer phone #s and can't find this powder within 50 miles of the little itty bitty town of Los Angeles.

Anyone know of a place w/in an hour's drive of San Gabriel Valley?

Thanks.

PS: paying $20 hazmat fee on top of shipping for a $25 product would really suck. Need to seek local
Old October 6, 2006, 10:48 PM   #2
amamnn

I'm in a place where exotic primers and powders are not stocked either. Some judicious purchases and a little time spent shooting the breeze with the local gun shop owner has allowed me to be able to order whatever I want as long as it comes in along with the regular shipments. It takes a little planning, but it's worth it to avoid the vicissitudes of life in the big city.
Old October 10, 2006, 11:02 AM   #3
PsychoKnight

I just don't understand why local VV resellers don't carry such a popular pistol powder, at least in terms of what VV has to offer. They weren't very enthusiastic to place a special order, and wouldn't tell me when they would next place a regular order. One dealer said to try back in a couple of weeks, but had no clue what powders would be coming in. This is from the only salesman in the shop w/ a license to sell powder, and the guy who actually placed the order.

Lock Stock and Barrel took care of me. They charged me $23 for combined hazmat+regular shipping, and are sending 1700 bullets separately flat rate for the usps rate of $8.10 The powder would've cost $5 (times 2) more locally, and I would be using $11 in gas and two hours to drive out to the only local shop which "might" carry it in a few weeks. I'm finding it much less frustrating to order online; I don't spend a dime extra, sure I'll get it at a promised time, save time from traffic jams - its all good.
Old October 10, 2006, 02:44 PM   #4
Ares45

Quote:
Need to seek local
No. You need to buy in bulk. I bought 20k worth of small and large pistol primers and a couple #4 bottles of VV powder from powedervalllyinc.com yesterday. I spent 20 bucks on hazmat but saved 35 bucks since I didn't pay any sales tax. Net 15 to the good. All is well.