The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 9, 2006, 07:22 PM   #1
alexander hamilton

the real scoop on powder xxx

i was recently reloading and had some questions about my powder which was power pistol. a member helped me out and i thought it would be a good idea if we all posted the real deal on powders. i have been to all the manufacturers web sites but they dont tell you everything. so please post what you know like...
how does it meter out?
how does it shoot?
etc.
im doing this because sometimes you are torn between a few powders in your data manual and finding out that one of them will not tear up your plastic powder measure would be a big plus. i also like the idea of being able to come up with special loads. for example...
quiet loads for plinking and NOT ticking off neighbors
flashy loads for amusing friends while plinking at night
consistant range round loads
etc.

ill start.

power pistol- good stuff. i was a little suprised by the amount of flash and bang that my .40 cal made with some starting loads of this stuff. when i actually looked it up on a powder burn rate chart i found that it burned much slower than i thought it did. i would say it borders on being a magnum type of powder. meters out very easily. shoots every bit as well as i am capable in the accuracy department. i like it and would buy more.

edit: posting particular calibers would prob be good too. i forgot to mention that. power pistol works great in .40
Old October 9, 2006, 07:30 PM   #2
azredhawk44

Quote:
im doing this because sometimes you are torn between a few powders in your data manual and finding out that one of them will not tear up your plastic powder measure would be a big plus.
Or... you could get rid of that Lee POS powder measure and get one made of metal that won't react to gunpowder the way wood reacts to sandpaper.

I had one of those measures, intending to cut corners and save $20. Ended up ruining a batch of 30-30 ammo because the washer tore and my powder throws started going wildly all over the place.

If you use a Lee measure and you don't check your powder every few rounds, you are taking your life in your hands.

Win296 and H110 tear up lee perfect powder measures. Reloder15 helps this process along. If it isn't a flake powder like Unique or Titegroup, it will shred a lee measure.
Old October 9, 2006, 07:42 PM   #3
Bud Helms
Staff

quiet loads for plinking and NOT ticking off neighbors

Do what? A quiet load?

flashy loads for amusing friends while plinking at night

Loads for amusement? ...

consistant range round loads

Consistent range loads is something to which I can relate.

im doing this because sometimes you are torn between a few powders in your data manual and finding out that one of them will not tear up your plastic powder measure would be a big plus. i also like the idea of being able to come up with special loads.

Don't do this because I'm torn. What powder tore up which powder measure of yours? Yeah, I guess that would be a big plus. What do you mean by special loads?

Wanna buy some caps?
Old October 9, 2006, 07:59 PM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

"Or... you could get rid of that Lee POS powder measure and get one made of metal that won't react to gunpowder the way wood reacts to sandpaper."

Something along the lines of 25,000 loads of WW 231, WW 296, AA 7, Red Dot, Unique, Trail Boss, and a couple others through my POS Lee Pro Disk with nary a problem.

One day for grins and giggles I decided to see how accurate it was over the long haul.

4.9 grains of 231.

I quit after 75 drops because not a single charge I threw using that POS Lee varied by more that 0.02 grains on electronic scale I was using.

My RCBS Uniflow?

It matched the POS Lee's accuracy, but at something along the lines of 4 times the price...

Last year I forgot to empty the powder hopper and left it full of 296. Over a month later I finally got back to loading again. No reaction at all from that POS Lee measure...

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old October 9, 2006, 08:02 PM   #5
alexander hamilton

heh, bud i guess i understand your amusement at my post as i was not too clear.

quiet is a relative term. if i am shooting at a private outdoor range that my friend owns then every round does not need to sound like a .500 mag. i promise i am not trying to reinvent the .300 whisper in .40

i like to compare my carry ammo to other kinds of ammo with night testing. i just wont carry ammo that flashes. this led to some goofing around trying to take pictures of the flash and such. thats all.

my powder measure is not yet torn up. i dont want it to get torn up. i intend to get a better measure in the future but i cant spring it right now. that would be money i could be shooting with. i thought of this because a very helpful member steered me away from imr 800x as azredhawk44 has just informed me about reloader 15, win 296, and h110.

i guess, i thought maybe folks would like to share the info the companys dont.
Old October 9, 2006, 08:04 PM   #6
Mike Irwin
Staff

"i intend to get a better measure."

Read my message.

I used WW 231 and 296 almost exclusively through my Lee Pro Disk for over a decade, and it hasn't been "torn up."

Old October 9, 2006, 08:09 PM   #7
alexander hamilton

mike,

i like my ppm aside from some other folks comments. your comment may lead me to try out some abrasive powders and just see what happens.

i hate to get slightly off topic in my own thread but oh well. i have found my ppm to be super precise but lacking in the accuracy dept. i can set the darn thing for any volume i want and it will never give me the weight i expect. i forget if it shoots high or low but i have taken to setting the volume only to get in the ballpark. then i "trial and error" it untill my scale says im good. once she is set up though... my variance is never over .1 grain. .1 is even pretty rare. i do weigh at least every tenth round but usually more.
Old October 9, 2006, 08:17 PM   #8
Mike Irwin
Staff

PPM?

What's PPM?

As for trying out an "abrasive" powder...

ALL powder is abrasive in one manner or another. There's no getting around it.

Old October 9, 2006, 08:20 PM   #9
alexander hamilton

sorry, perfect powder measure.
Old October 9, 2006, 08:20 PM   #10
P-990

Use the Lee PPM. I shot Highpower and threw ALL of my charges with one. Guess what? My ammo was good enough for the job, and I was never at a handicap to the guys using bench-rest prepped ammo with trickled charges, turned necks, sorted bullets, ad nauseum. Why? Because I spent my time practicing, not loading. (Actually, I will be back into the game this spring! )

As for powders, try WW231. It will have less of that flash and boominess that makes Power Pistol oh-so-much fun. I loved Power Pistol in 9mm loads, but don't have a reliable supply, so I quit using it and have since stopped loading 9mm completely. But I still use lots of 231 in .44 Magnum and Special loads.
Old October 9, 2006, 08:28 PM   #11
drinks

PPM is the Lee Perfect Powder Measure, not the disk measure.
I have a PPM and have tested it several times, with all but WC820, which is a superfine ball powder and H4831, which is about the size of stove wood, I can get .1gr accuracy. With the H4831, it is .2gr accuracy.
The WC 820 is within .1gr but even with a tight adjustment of the rotor, a small amount comes out the side of the drum.
I was given a RCBS cast iron measure, 4 times the price, I tried it out, was no better than the PPM, so ,I sold the RCBS and kept the PPM.
Old October 9, 2006, 08:49 PM   #12
Mike Irwin
Staff

The PPM and the Pro Disk both use the same basic elastomeric wiper system so the results should be very similar.

A friend of mine has the PPM and has several hundred loads of IIRC Reloder 15 through it with no problems at all.

Old October 9, 2006, 10:41 PM   #13
rem33

My Lee PPM has loaded several thousand rounds using IMR 4064, 4198, others also with no problems. Aren't the cylindrical powders suppose to be the most problematic?
I do check every few rounds and have had to make tiny adjustment within the first few but once it's set everything meters fine.
Old October 10, 2006, 08:57 AM   #14
Mike Irwin
Staff

The large flake powders like Unique and Red Dot generally give the worst charge to charge variation in not only Lee measures, but all volumetric measures.

I've never tried using my Lee for IMR type powders, so I can't answer that question.