The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 30, 2006, 09:31 AM   #26
Pointer

How come when a duck is properly with #6 or #4 shot...
You never see them fly another 100 yds before they fall...
Unless it was a poor hit?

In my experience... at least 98% of well-hit animals have fallen within a few yards, if not on the very spot...

The other's were already excited by the hunting pressure or already alert to the hunters who shot them...

None of my properly hit animals have run off to hide...

...and the ones that I've seen run off, were usually poorly hit...

My advice? Use enough gun!

30-06 FOREVER
Old September 30, 2006, 04:52 PM   #27
UniversalFrost

Quote:
"told that no rifle-hit to the body, no matter whether .308, .300WinMag or .223 ever dropped any game he shot or has seen being shot. They all ran away, some far, some not so far but no animal was stopped. Not even with heart- or lung hits"
416 rigby does wonders. So does 444 or 450, even 30/30 hp will do it. Will let you know about 45/70 when the gun finally gets here.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old October 1, 2006, 09:36 AM   #28
Art Eatman
Staff Lead

Two words that shouldn't be used about hunting: "Always" and "Never".

, Art
Old October 5, 2006, 02:39 PM   #29
Mannlicher

beware of 'experts' armed with anecdotal facts.

Personally, I think your friend's opinions on this are not in line with what I have experienced, and what has been reported in the various media. I use a Springfield Armory SOCOM, and with Federal Classic 150 grain SP, the hogs pretty much drop where they are shot.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old October 5, 2006, 02:57 PM   #30
navajo0472

Sounds Like Hog Wash To Me

I have been hog hunting with a friend of mine at a hunting club in Florida and they have had numerous instant kills with handguns and rifles on some large hogs. While I was in Florida I went on a hunt with him and saw a guy shoot his hog with a .223 and the hog dropped and never moved while his brother's hog took two slugs from a 2o gauge before it dropped. My friend works as a guide for a hog hunting club in Okachobee.
Old October 5, 2006, 05:36 PM   #31
bclark1

for my bit here, although it's been well said already... i can't speak for boar but game in general i had a clean heart shot on a whitetail with a 30-06 almost a year ago, and she went down so fast i didn't see it, although i did see some other deer heading into the woods. i walked down to look for blood and was pretty confused until i spotted her, there were still some corn stalks on the edge that'd obscured it a little. if that's not the proverbial ton of bricks i don't know what is.
Old October 7, 2006, 12:01 AM   #32
Fat White Boy

My friend and I use .270's for hogs. Sometimes they drop like stones, sometimes they run a bit...

As far as lions and tigers in Africa, last time I checked, tweren't no tigers in Africa...
Old October 8, 2006, 08:50 AM   #33
texfar

Have hunted hogs in west texas and can only tell you what has happened to me. With my 99 .284 I hit a hog at about 200 yards through both lungs and it ran at lease 100 yards. My friend, ranch owner, hit one about 250 lbs through the top of the heart full loadand iand 165 gr and it ran at least 200 yards. He thought he missed it and didn't even go after it. I found it the next day and photoed the shot placement. One about 350 lbs I hit at about 250 yards in a field with 165 gr .300 rem ultra loaded down a bit through the lungs and it traveled at least 150 yards. Most of the hogs I shoot drop, but as stated above they are like tanks. What my placement is these days is to break the shoulder when rifle shooting at distance and not go for heart/lung placement. By the way, they are normally moving slowly accross the field at any where from 100 to 400 yards away at a walk.
Old October 8, 2006, 10:17 AM   #34
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Quote:
What my placement is these days is to break the shoulder when rifle shooting at distance and not go for heart/lung placement.
Interesting. How does one "break" a hog's shoulder and what is the result?

http://pnu-museum.org/en/collections...tion_03h.aspx#
Rich
Old October 8, 2006, 12:33 PM   #35
2rugers

Well Rich, you put a big enough bullet travelling at a high enough velocity low into the shield and the results are about the same as with Deer, Elk and Bear, they fall down, kick a little, and then slowly relax into death.
Old October 8, 2006, 12:43 PM   #36
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Hmmm. Is that from a broken shoulder or from damage to the heart/lungs? And how does one aim for the "shoulder" while avoiding the heart and lungs?
Rich
Old October 8, 2006, 01:13 PM   #37
2rugers

Q:1.The falling down or the dying part?
Q:2.As for Texfar's comment I do not know how he shoots for the shoulder and misses heart/lung. Extreme angle? Don't know.
Old October 8, 2006, 01:18 PM   #38
Rich Lucibella
Staff

The falling down.
Is it from a "broken shoulder"?
Rich
Old October 8, 2006, 01:43 PM   #39
2rugers

A broken shoulder does not always equal falling down or even certain death, but "a big enough bullet travelling at a high enough velocity" through BOTH, always does.
Old October 8, 2006, 06:25 PM   #40
Rich Lucibella
Staff

The older I get, the further behind the times I find myself.

"Always"....that's pretty good. Gotta get me one of them there "always" calibers; or one of the ones that put hogs down by breaking their shoulders.
Rich
Old October 8, 2006, 07:06 PM   #41
2rugers

Wellll...,they are not for just anybody. You really have to know how big a bullet and how fast you have to move it to do it everytime.
Old October 8, 2006, 08:47 PM   #42
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Quote:
You really have to know how big a bullet and how fast you have to move it to do it everytime.
Yup. It always seems to be that way. Lots of people seem to have The Secret. But nobody ever lets me or anyone I personally know in on the special secret recipe for those "everytime" guaranteed rounds. In fact, I'm surprised DoD doesn't take an interest in the knowledge offered here; we have this problem of our own military being hit by two legged game that was "dead on the first shot". Go figure.
Rich
Old October 8, 2006, 09:54 PM   #43
Art Eatman
Staff Lead

Folks probably hadn't oughta play with their food...

Art
Old October 8, 2006, 10:20 PM   #44
Rich Lucibella
Staff

oops!
Old October 8, 2006, 10:44 PM   #45
2rugers

No secret Rich. use a big enough bullet and push it fast enough and it will break both shoulders and destroy what is necessary in between. DRT,honest, no-foolin.
As far as the DOD and their failure to provide our young men and women a big enough bullet and a cartridge that will push it fast enoughand the training on where to place said projectile, one can only assume their reasons.
I will add that a .223 at 3300 fps. using fmj. hitting com. on the jihadis will certainly not guarantee an instant dropor even certain death if a good medic is at hand.
But if they would like my advice on what will and where to put it, they need only ask.
Old October 8, 2006, 11:10 PM   #46
Rich Lucibella
Staff

I think I got it now. Lots-O-Bullet and Lots-O-Velocity drops 'em like rocks every time. Thanks for the secret, 2rugers. I reserve the right to share it with my hunting pals.

Art-
You were so right. My education is now complete and I look forward to harvesting many hogs by breaking their shoulders. All it takes is "a big enough bullet and push it fast enough". They go "DRT,honest, no-foolin". Who'da thunkit?!!!
Rich
Old October 8, 2006, 11:58 PM   #47
2rugers

I would'a thunk a man with your well travelled hunting experience would have experienced this on hogs at least once by now Rich.!? Even if by mistake. If not your education is far from complete.
You almost sound skeptical.

P.S.Oh, you almost got it. Again, the correct formula is a big enough bullet, fast enough, through both shoulders you forgot that VERY important last part in your opening line. Also, not Lotso- anything, big enough and fast enough are the terms I used.

Last edited by 2rugers; October 9, 2006 at 12:33 AM. Reason: additional info.
Old October 9, 2006, 10:40 AM   #48
NB4ZOT

I too watched a show on OLN where they were hunting grizzlies in Alaska. The backup gun was a slug gun. I think the dude was hunting the grizzlies with a long bow http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...milies/eek.gif
Old October 9, 2006, 12:25 PM   #49
Art Eatman
Staff Lead

2rugers, you reckon maybe that what you're meaning isn't necessarily the way it's coming out in print? Seems to me ya gotta consider angles of shots and the difference between shoulder joints and shoulder blades when you say "shoulders", as well as the way a hog's bodily parts and pieces are assembled.

Most of us here have been at this game for more than just a day or two, with experiences ranging from ground squirrels to elephants, from BB guns to Great Big Bullets.

Art
Old October 9, 2006, 12:44 PM   #50
Eghad

Well the big secret is actually "the look", when you take aim you have to use "the look" to get the animal to position itself for the shot. Then if you use lotsa bullet with lots powder and "the look" that wee beastey is goin down.

NRA Life Member