The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 11, 2006, 12:59 PM   #26
bclark1

field & stream's gear issue (maybe last month's) had a one-page about "never field dress a deer again," with brief instructions on how to lop all the meat out hastily. might be worth a read for ya.
Old September 11, 2006, 01:14 PM   #27
22-rimfire

You may think that the game cart is not an option if you have never used one due to rough terrain etc. As long as you don't have to climb cliffs or travel through very rocky (ie large rocks that you have to climb over), you are far better off with a cart even when there are limited rough areas. Even if you walk an extra mile, they work slick. You can map your exit route also for transporting a deer out too. Game carts work really well even in the woods where you have to cross logs, creeks, and modest sized rocks. Following old logging roads is a dream as long as they aren't all grown up in brush/briars. Game carts are heart attack savers. No buck is worth dying for EVER.

I dragged a deer out (usual 120 lb deer) for a mile or so (thru brush, over trees, over rocks, up hill and down hill) in the dry woods. It about killed me and I have to say I was thinking heart attack when I have no heart problems. Shot another buck in the same area and wheeled it out on a cart and it took just about as long as it does to walk in slowly. Heart was not even beating more than normal. You need about 2.5ft width to navigate.

You could scout a trail in and out with the transportation issue in mind. I'd mark it so I could find it later. Aerial photos and topos work well for locating old trails and roads. There are not many forests in the East that there are not logging roads built at one time or another. You just have to find them.

Other than that, as everyone said... bone it and carry it out.
Old September 11, 2006, 04:59 PM   #28
ZeroJunk

Meddac19,you must be talking about large rabbits.Just kidding.I was thinking in terms of the weight of a large gutted buck.Assuming he weighs 200 pounds plus,which by the initial description he must,then then you would be looking at dropping maybe 60 pounds when you field dress him.Boning out what you can of the meat is a better idea,I agree.
Old September 11, 2006, 06:29 PM   #29
swampdog

22-rimfire brought up an excellent point about planning your routes.

Everything he said goes double for a bicycle, btw. The viet cong moved tons of rice by bicycle, over some very mountainous terrain. They aren't as easy to load or steer as a game cart, but you can get one just about anywhere it won't sink.

Good Luck
Old September 11, 2006, 07:13 PM   #30
rallyhound

I use one of those $6.00 tobaggons that roll up into a tube.
They sell them at toy stores etc.
drill holes around the perimeter for lashing and a tow rope.
they are cheap and disposable and work really well if you are lucky enough to be dragging on snow.

Free" men do not ask permission to bear arms.
Old September 13, 2006, 03:09 PM   #31
dfaugh

Just do it the way the American Indians used to.... Take along a small tarp and some rope and a good knife(or "pocket saw)...Shoot deer... Cut 2 fairly straight saplings, suspend deer on tarp between saplings. Then haul it out. Mostly you'll use your hands, but you could rig a shoulder strap as well. Tough work, but not as bad as you might think, if you have to cover most reasonable terrain.

"No one has the answer, but one thing is true.
You'e got to turn on evil, when its coming after you.
You've gotta face it down,and when it tries to hide,
you've got to go in after it, and never be denied.
Time is running out...Let's roll.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for love.
We're going after satan, on the wings of a dove.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for truth.
Let's not let our children grow up fearful in their youth."
Old September 13, 2006, 08:03 PM   #32
john in jax

If you have just got to put that deer or part of him on your back please wrap him COMPLETELY up in 1 or two of those cheap orange ponchos. Being too safe will get you back to camp.