The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old September 9, 2006, 03:37 PM   #1
REDCELL

Smith and Wesson 308 rifle.

I've searched Goggle, and came up with nothing. A friend of my fathers said he had an older rifle that he used for hunting. He said it was a S&W 308 with bipod and scope, in good shape. He said it was about 15 years old. He wants 350 for it. I'm not interested in the rifle unless its a steal or something, but i had never heard of S&W making rifles. ..??
Old September 9, 2006, 03:55 PM   #2
VUPDblue

Smith and Wesson discontinued production of long arms in 1985. They did offer a 'Model A Rifle' that was chambered in .308. It is possible that the rifle you speak of exists. The Model A has a 23 3/4" barrel. The Model B has a 20 3/4" barrel. The Model C has a cheekpiece on the stock and is otherwise same as a B model. The D model has a Mannlicher stock without cheekpiece. The model E is in a Mannlicher without a cheekpiece. $350 is a fair price if the rifle is pristine. The A models should go for $400 at the top end and the D models $~650 at the top. Hope this helps

nick

BTW- S&W did not produce these, they were contracted out to Husqvarna.
Check out this link for the only pic I could find. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=55816291
Old September 9, 2006, 04:10 PM   #3
REDCELL

thanks man, very informative
Old September 9, 2006, 04:18 PM   #4
Reloader

Quite a few were made also by Howa, on the same machines as the Weatherby Vanguard and I have one of these in .243. Groups with handloads under 1/2 inch from a rest are common.
Old September 9, 2006, 05:47 PM   #5
GeoW

I have a .308, Model B, Smith & Wesson branded rifle. Made for S&W by Husqvarna in Sweden in the late 60's and very early 70's. Those made later than that were made by Howa. The Husqvarna Swedes are great rifles as are other Swedish made firearms. Good info on this site.
http://www.pettsons.net/hvastory.html

GeoW
Old September 10, 2006, 01:13 AM   #6
Mike Irwin
Staff

The last long gun that S&W made in house was the Model 76 submachine gun.

All of the rifles and shotguns from the 1960s and later were made overseas and branded with the company's name.

Prior to that, the last rifle made in house at S&W were the Mk. I and Mk. II Light Rifles, made during WW II under contract for the British. Only a few thousand were made, and the gun's failure almost pushed S&W out of business.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.

Last edited by Mike Irwin; September 10, 2006 at 09:08 AM.
Old September 10, 2006, 10:56 AM   #7
JJB2

what about the new s&w m&p 15?

has anyone seen or had experience with the new rifles they have been advertising in the gun mags and on their website? the ones i saw there were .223 caliber and looked like they meant business.........
Old September 10, 2006, 02:00 PM   #8
Esquire M Busterbury

Or at least as much business as the 18 other AR makers...But to add to your question, when is Smif&Wesson coming out with an AR-10? I want some 308 baby!