The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old July 11, 2006, 04:10 PM   #1
michauxii

.25-06 trajectory at long range??

There is a video on the internet showing a guy shooting (and killing) an antelope at 753 yards(steps) with his 25-06. Using a 115 grain bullet (manf. not stated, nor was load). And the animal was running!

I responded to the post of the video on another Forum (AR-15). Needless to say, I was not very nice when referring to the shooter. But I need some follow-up info.....

For grins, I'll guess the rifle had a 3" sight-in @ 100 yards. I need some trajectory info. Tried Google and got nowhere. Anyone have some info on the trajectory at that range? More specifically, how much is that bullet dropping the last 100 yards (650 to 750 yards)? And what about a mild 5mph crosswind?

Any info/thoughts appreciated!
Old July 11, 2006, 04:58 PM   #2
priv8ter

Okay

I used a real quick calcualtor...using Remingtons velocity for a 115gr bullet, sighted in at 250 yards zero:

At 640 yards, you get 120 inches of drop. 740 yards, 199 inches of drop with 50 inches of wind drift.

I haven't seen the video of which you speak, but it's not a shot I would take.

greg
Old July 12, 2006, 10:18 AM   #3
castnblast

I agree. I used to load 25-06 ages ago. Bullet drop is tremendous...more tremendous is the pure stupidity of that guy to take a crap shot like that at an animal. luck or not, I wouldn't do it. Maybe if he were a military sniper and REALLY knew his rifle, and the animal was standing still... BUT, if he were a better hunter, he should have been able to stalk one down much closer, Also, I highly doubt it was really that far. Ever walked in the brush? How many stutter steps do you take? Loose Count? Anyway, he gets my vote for dumkopf of the year...
Old July 12, 2006, 11:01 AM   #4
Pointer

I think...

It didn't happen at all...

30-06 FOREVER
Old July 12, 2006, 11:04 AM   #5
Nagano21

Here is the Video,watched it for the first time earlier today then came accross this post...

http://www.break.com/index/best_shot_in_new_mexico.html
Old July 12, 2006, 12:51 PM   #6
Scorch

753 steps would be about 380-400 yds (thats about 18" per step), unless the person doing the pacing is Paul Bunyan. In rougher country, your steps get shorter, to about 15". Try it yourself, and measure the steps. At, say, 400 yds, sure. If they are trying to sell the shot as a 750 yd shot, I say no way. It's hard to tell from a video how far the animal is, but laser rangefinders don't lie. 25-06 shoots flat, but not that flat!

I won't even get into the ethics of shooting an antelope at a full run.
Taylor Machine
Old July 28, 2006, 04:52 PM   #7
FirstFreedom

You know, I watched that clip several times, and although it certainly (initially) SEEMS as he hits the running 'lope with the second shot, after missing the stationary animal on the first shot, there is another possibility I think - sometimes after being hit, animals will run a ways immediately, and then when the oxygen runs out of their blood, they crumple up like that. So it's possible that he hit it with the first shot, but it just so happened to crumple up right after the second shot, after running around a bit and then running out of oxygen/adrenaline. It's also possible that he did hit it at a full run with the 2nd shot. Who knows. In any event, 380 yards, 750 yards - either way, impressive. Very unethical, IMO, but impressive. And BTW, when I measure off 'steps' myself, I purposely take large steps trying to approximate yardage. And more often than not, I *overdo* it on the steps - the yardage is actually more than the number of large steps, when I laser it and compare. YMMV.

Nope, nevermind - you can see the first shot hit the ground low.... well, then *I'm not worthy*.
Old July 28, 2006, 06:41 PM   #8
Anthony Terry

that was a bad shot IMO also. its luck to throw one out there like that. hes lucky he didnt leave that animal injured to die a slow painful death. i bet god frowned when he seen it. and you dont need to be making god frown.
Old July 28, 2006, 10:31 PM   #9
Hawkseye

How Flat?

Well here goes...I get into trouble every time I tell this true story. I have a 1996 Mauser ('96 Mauser...not to be confused with the m96 ((1896)) military version. I developed a load that shoots a 100 spbt Sierra at 3200 fps. From a benchrest, I used the ballistic tables for hold over (which, if zeroed at 200 yards, is 66.3"), and put 3 shots in a 3.5inch group at 600 yards (lasered) with it. I know that the accuracy of the 25-06 is there, but I would not take a shot at big game with the quarter bore at more than a quarter mile, because it has lost too much energy, plus that is the farthest that I can reliably hit the vital zone of a deer without using a benchrest, and I practice a lot just for that event. Having said that, I dropped a huge 4 point mule deer a couple years ago at 307 yards, and could not have asked for better performance. Personally, like it's parent cartridge the 30-06, the 25-06 is the all around best for it's intended purpose of taking long range shots at large deer on down to vermin...you can count on it.
Old July 30, 2006, 12:01 PM   #10
Ausserordeutlich

Seems to me that only a midged would step only 18", when stopping off distance yardage; my paces are at least three feet. Heck, I wear a 15 shoe; certainly I can step longer than 3" beyond the length of my shoes!
Old July 30, 2006, 12:17 PM   #11
Bender711

Thats amazing
Old July 30, 2006, 02:24 PM   #12
dfaugh

I'm a "normal" sized guy(5'11")...and 2 of my paces equals almost exactly 5 feet, I've checked it. That would bring the range down by almost 20%.

Hitting a running animal at that range (~600 yards) falls under the category of "dumb luck" (emphasis on dumb)...Like someone else said I would GUESS the first shot was the one that actually hit, but the animal didn't go down until later. Hitting a running target (especially a fast moving one like an antelope) at that range is beyond the capabilities of pretty much ANY human on earth, including a well trained sniper.

"No one has the answer, but one thing is true.
You'e got to turn on evil, when its coming after you.
You've gotta face it down,and when it tries to hide,
you've got to go in after it, and never be denied.
Time is running out...Let's roll.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for love.
We're going after satan, on the wings of a dove.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for truth.
Let's not let our children grow up fearful in their youth."
Old August 6, 2006, 01:39 AM   #13
Hawkseye

Just to set the record straight...

The bullet drop of a 117 grain .257 caliber boat tail spirt point launched at 3000fps from the Hornady Manual at 600 yards is 82.1" when zeroed at 100 yards, and is among the flattest shooting rifles at that distance available. In comparison, the .300 Win Mag with a 180 grain boat tail spire at 3000 fps sighted in at 100 yards drops 76.4", besting the 25-06 only 6" at 600 yards.
Old August 6, 2006, 02:10 AM   #14
270Win

Interestingly, I used this program:

http://www.eskimo.com/~jbm/ballistics/traj/traj.html

to input the .270 with a 130 grain bullet, 600 yards with 100 yard zero, and got -72.6 ... not bad!
Old August 6, 2006, 07:09 PM   #15
Hawkseye

270 Winchester

The 270 Winchester is one of the all time greats...even in the light of the new fat magnums, it holds it's own...No question about it...

If I drop down to the .25-06 100 Grain SPBT, and sighted in at 100 yards, started at 3200 fps (I've chronographed this load and found it to be right on), the drop is 74" at 600 yards.
Old August 6, 2006, 08:30 PM   #16
Anthony Terry

My 7mm short is only 62in low at 600 and kicks less than a standard 270 How ya love that! stays within 2in out to 225 and never goes above line of sight more than .7 in.