The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 20, 2006, 01:28 PM   #1
croc4

bullet runout on 9mm - help needed

I loaded up some 9mm yesterday and noticed that the projectile was not centered in the shell, rolling the round on the table you could see a small about of wobble at the tip, any ideas how to prevent this?

Here is what I use.

Lee classic turrent press
Lee Dies - 9mm
Lee Factory crimp dies
115gr Win JHP
cases are a mix of magtech, rem, win, etc, etc

I align the bullet to the shell as best I can before seating it, and have re-adjusted my seating die thinking this was not set correctly, but still no change. I'm not sure what this would translate to on paper at 15yrds, but would like to understand what is happening and if there is anything to prevent it.

Thanks,

Croc4
Old July 20, 2006, 01:36 PM   #2
918v

Get a neck expander die that creates a two-step seating area. This way the case will accept the bullet shank partially and will prevent bullet tipping in the case mouth while inside the seater die.
Old July 20, 2006, 02:12 PM   #3
ClarkEMyers

try starting the bullet then rotate and push a little deeper

try starting the bullet then rotate and push a little deeper repeat
Old July 20, 2006, 05:14 PM   #4
croc4

I do that for rifle cartridges, but would like to avoid it for pistols for obvious reasons. I'll play around with the expander die, maybe I'm not expanding it enough to give a good even start to the bullet?.

Thanks guys.
Old July 20, 2006, 07:25 PM   #5
MrApathy

get a second seating die set the first die to seat the bullet long and have the die turned down so the case is tight in the die just under giving a crimp. set the second die for desired for OAL. it can take some adjusting to get it centered.

may try ordering a custom seating stem from lee also. I made myself a new seating stem on a lathe.

canted bullets correct? adjusting belling can help. using a chamfer tool on casemouth can help. I tried alot of things and second seating die helped best.
A repeat of history, That's how it goes
Old July 20, 2006, 07:33 PM   #6
goose2w1

I have the same set up as you and have never run across this problem. There is on thing that I'ver heard of that has caused different people a problem or two. Are your dies set up for the little bit of movement there is in the turret when the ram reaches the up stroke? When I set mine I run them down till they hit the shellholder, then a bit more until the turret stops lifting up and the adjuster knob is nice and snug. Hope this helps you out.
Old July 21, 2006, 11:04 AM   #7
croc4

Goose, I do that with my sizing die, but can't with the seating die, running the die that low will crush the case since is puts the crimp of the seating die way too low, I set the die by running a shell up into it and then screwing it down untill I felt it engage the shell mouth, and from there I set the bullt depth with the plunger knob.

But I think I have it sorted out, I lowered the expanding die to give a larger bell on the case mouth, and tested a few rounds and they are much better.

Thanks for all the help guys.
Old July 21, 2006, 04:08 PM   #8
HSMITH

Loosen the lockrings on your seat and crimp dies, load a shell and while it is in the die with the ram FULLY raised tighten the lock rings. This will center the die in the threads and the wobble should be gone. If from there you still have wobble you need to either get another seating die with a seating stem that fits your bullet or a die that compensates for bullet types by using an alignment system like the Redding Competition Seating Die.