The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 7, 2006, 12:30 PM   #1
MrApathy

bad lot of Hornady XTP in 40sw/10mm

if your buying Hornady XTP's in 40sw/10mm avoid Lot #2050460

opened one box today and go to seat it and it didnt hold up well under seating look at it some more notice its bad. go and grab another bullet its bad. started checking the whole box all bad. checked the lot number on box then went through rest of my inventory found another box with same lot number opened it up all of them are bad as well.

called Hornady they had a pretty funny routing system but when I got a tech on the phone he was useless except for giving out address only after I asked he couldnt even do that easily.

partitions had wider gaps,1 partition in particular had a defect in jacket was uneven with the opening. excess lead iif your buying Hornady XTP's in 40sw/10mm avoid Lot #2050460

opened one box today and go to seat it and it didnt hold up well under seating look at it some more notice its bad. go and grab another bullet its bad. started checking the whole box all bad. checked the lot number on box then went through rest of my inventory found another box with same lot number opened it up all of them are bad as well.

called Hornady they had a pretty funny routing system but when I got a tech on the phone he was useless except for giving out address only after I asked he couldnt even do that easily.

partitions had wide gaps,1 partition in particular had a defect in jacket was uneven with the opening. excess lead in the cavity doesnt line up well.

partitions seperated during seating and point mashed down some.

base of the bullet is rounded rather than the usual sharp edge

this lot should be sold reduced price and sold as seconds nothing more
A repeat of history, That's how it goes

Last edited by MrApathy; July 7, 2006 at 09:06 PM.
Old July 8, 2006, 01:41 PM   #2
Ammo Junky

Thanks for the tip.

I apologise in advance for spelling errors.
Old July 21, 2006, 03:06 PM   #3
MrApathy

just received package from Hornady. got 2 boxes of 180gr XTP's. the partition are perfect the load hollowpoint is ugly lot of lead buildup in front of the partition some uneven but nothing else to complain about except maybe a spare box or two for my troubles instead the letter they included said they could not find anything wrong with the bullets I sent hello are they blind did they lose theyre eye for quality. tip of 1 partition on every bullet was screwed up crushed and easily noticeable didnt match up to rest of the partitions not even close and the partition folds were opening base of the bullets were more like winchester 180gr JHP's didnt have that stamped flat base and the edge was way more round than usual. overall unimpressed. service with a slap to your face
A repeat of history, That's how it goes

Last edited by MrApathy; July 21, 2006 at 04:21 PM.