The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 24, 2006, 11:29 PM   #1
chemist308

reloading bench

Well, I've got all this reloading equipment. Now I need a more permanent place to set it up. Basically I want a bench. But I have a question. How big? I'm thinking 2' x 4' would suffice for both shotgun and rifle reloading. But what I'm really asking is how tall. I can either build table height and plan to load seated in an office style chair (30" is standard table height.) Or I can build a standard bench height (36 - 38") and plan to load standing or from a stool. I do plan on weighing as part of this, and in the lab we use table height for weighing...
Anyway what do you find best for your reloading needs? Table height or workbench height?
Old June 25, 2006, 12:38 AM   #2

I built the one I have now at workbench height. My first bench years ago was 2'X3' the one I have now is 2'X6' with a shelf in back for the scale and storage.

Old June 25, 2006, 01:47 AM   #3
chemist308

Wow that's a lot of stuff on one bench! It almost looks like you could have used something a little bigger.

So you like workbench height better? I'm setting up a Lee kit with single stage press for 308 and 357 and Lee load all for 16 guage. You think 2x4' is enough space?
Old June 25, 2006, 09:38 AM   #4

Quote:
So you like workbench height better? I'm setting up a Lee kit with single stage press for 308 and 357 and Lee load all for 16 guage. You think 2x4' is enough space?
Yes, I like the taller bench better and my 5'4" wife likes it also.
As for bench height, bigger is better. You WILL buy more loading equipment.
Old June 25, 2006, 11:03 AM   #5
chemist308

Well, thanks. That about answers my questions. Today I build
Old June 25, 2006, 12:22 PM   #6

Quote:
As for bench height, bigger is better.
As for bench SIZE, bigger is better. (what I ment to say)
Post some pics when you get it built.
Old July 2, 2006, 01:31 PM   #7
dogfood

When I moved into my current house (about 6 years ago), I thought to myself "Man, I am going to build a shooting and reloading bench which will NEVER be too small". So I made one the length of one of my basement walls, roughly 16 feet long (essentailly the length of two, 8 ft. boards).

And, today, it is covered with various shooting and reloading items, and I don't have enough room to work on a rifle. I am convinced that regardless of the size you pick, you will more than fill it up with stuff (useful and otherwise).

dogfood
Old July 2, 2006, 03:05 PM   #8
Unclenick
Staff

My dad cites an addendum to Murphy's Law: "Everything takes longer than it takes". A reasonable corallary is, "everything requires 20% more space than was allowed for it".

Nick
NRA Benefactor Member
Old July 5, 2006, 12:09 AM   #9
WestDivide

On reloading benches:...........

I like to sit down while reloading. To that end, my bench is the usual desk height-~30 inches. Gives me room for a drawer for stuff, and plenty of knee room.
I've built several benches from solid core doors. They can be as nice as the door you find. Demo sites, second hand lumber places, damaged goods stores, etc are good places. The best ones are 1 3/4" rather than the 1 1/4, but they work too. Put a steel plate under the press, and under the door at that position too. Spreads the force through out the plate surface. Add any shelves, drawers, niceties etc. you want. Paint/finish or not, as you like. Quick, easy, heavy[which is good].
My $.02. -West
Old July 5, 2006, 12:17 AM   #10
Eghad

shooting and reloading equipment will multiply at a rate to take up all available space on any size reloading bench. The only thing known to multiply faster are coat hangers.

NRA Life Member
Old July 5, 2006, 08:57 AM   #11
rem33

I went to a second hand place that sells office furniture and bought used desks. Not desks as you would think of a a desk with drawers, but comercial stuff. the tops are thick enough to mount a press to, I also like the fomica tops for clean up. I will use peices of carpet, old towels or newspaper if I need softer or absorbant areas working or cleaning guns.
Old July 5, 2006, 11:29 AM   #12
chemist308

Well, my first bench is pretty much built--26"x48" and at workbench height of about 36" (standard workbench height). Just got back from vacation and polyurathaned it. When that dries, I'll mount the press and shotgun loader (Lee Load All). Now for the Lee Load All, should I mount that at the edge of the bench also so I can pull the handle all the way down? And, in answer to the question that brings up, no I haven't read the instructions for it yet...
Old July 5, 2006, 02:45 PM   #13
Scorch

Chemist308-
Mounting the Lee LoadAll close to the edge of the bench will make it easier to work the lever, but that lever doesn't have a very long stroke. The thing to be careful of is can you reach the bottom of the rifle press stroke without bending? Most rifle presses have longer strokes.
The Lee LoadAll is kinda neat. I reloaded several thousand shotgun shells on one before I got tired of all the handling and bought a MEC 9000. But you have to start somewhere, right?
Taylor Machine
Old July 6, 2006, 08:23 PM   #14
Toolman

My reloading bench is 5ft long, 3ft out from the wall & 3ft from floor to work surface. The work surface is a very light colored formica & easy to see powder spills & clean up. The bench is cantlievered out from the wall & has knee braces that go back to a header at the baseboard. I built it that way so the bench legs don't interfere with my chair. I didn't drill holes in the top for mounting the press or other equipment either. I mounted my reloading equipment on boards & I C-clamp them the top. That way I can move things around if I want & I can clear the deck for the gun vise when needed. I have a 6ft tall, double door, Black & Decker lockable cabinet for storing eveything else.
Old July 9, 2006, 05:58 PM   #15
kirbymagnum

Picture or Video 023 400x266.jpg I think i will have to up grade the bench when i get my rifle reloading equipment in right now its a 2 by 4. 2400, Looks like we have the same reloading chair.
Old July 9, 2006, 06:55 PM   #16
contender6030

My bench is an old bank lobby table, yaknow the kind that has the deposit tickets in them. It's about 4x6 and the top is 42 inches from the floor.
Old July 16, 2006, 12:19 AM   #17
Jseime

I just moved all my stuff from on top of the work bench to a table today so i can sit down while i load. Boy is it nice.

My table is about 5 feet by four feet and ive got lots of room (for now anyway) Ive got the lyman trimmer on the far left the lee press in the middle and the lee perfect powder measure on the far right everything else is mobile.
Old July 16, 2006, 12:29 AM   #18
JJB2

lots of good info here... the chair i've found easiest to reload with is one of those knee stools for computer use on wheels... got mine about 10 yrs ago an i like it!! rolls around good on my cement basement floor in my loading room.....