The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 24, 2006, 09:52 PM   #1
Kayser

Question about Hornady .308 loads for 4895.

I've been tinkering around with some IMR4895 loads for .308. For 150gr bullets, the Hornady manual lists 44.7gr as one notch below their max. 44.7gr of 4895 comes right up to the top of the shoulder of the case. Not quite into the neck - it's probably brushing up against the base of the seated bullet.

But, the weird thing is, they list as much as 51.9gr for a 110 gr bullet. Now, I'm not a rocket surgeon, but I'm positive that would be a highly compressed load. I don't even know that that much would fit in the case at all.

What gives?
Old June 25, 2006, 09:56 AM   #2
Ammo Junky

Different cases have different capasities, Your max load with your componenes may be lower than the book max. People sometimes use compressed loads, but I try to keep compression to a min. It can cause problems with seating and bullet damage.

I apologise in advance for spelling errors.
Old July 7, 2006, 08:21 PM   #3
CTC01

What kind of cases are you using?

Military cases usually have thicker walls which decreases the volume of powder that will fit in the case.

Aittle compression is actually good (from what I hear) you get a very uniform flame front traveling through the case (so says some of the BR folks)

I use 41.5gr of IMR4895 with Nosler 168's in Win cases, works excellent in my M1A.
Old July 8, 2006, 02:40 PM   #4
Kayser

Remington, from their low end Core-Lokt factory ammo.