The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 27, 2006, 02:39 PM   #1
shllyshny

Astra .44 mag

Am new to this particular manufacturer. Does anyone know about them? I think they are a Spanish gun. What would be a fair price for a 6" bbl .44 mag revolver, blued, in 90% condition?

Thanks,
M.G.

RIP SSG Pena, SGT Thomas, SGT Hagy, and SPC Rivera... my brothers.
Old June 27, 2006, 02:49 PM   #2
Jeff #111

I've never owned one, but I've known those who have. The general agreement is that the quality of the Astra revolvers are spotty at best. I've come across postings on the internet in which folks have claimed the barrels were off center, the trigger pull was like running your hand across a bed of nails and broken glass, the steel was soft etc. Just what I've found in my studies. No first hand experience.
Old June 27, 2006, 08:46 PM   #3
croyance

I've heard good things about their large frame revolvers.
I think that their large frame revolvers use S&W N-frame speedloaders.
Old June 27, 2006, 09:04 PM   #4
schmeky

Jeff #111,

I really disagree. Astra revolvers were tested in gun magazines many years ago and they recieved good reviews. Astra made their .44 mags to cash in on the wave of the popularity of the S&W model 29's, that were in short supply at the time. What hurt the sale of the Astra .44 was the price, which was very close to the Smith model 29.

The Astras were well made and accurate, shooting 2" groups from a sandbag rest at 25 yards. Jeff#111's description is anecdotal and unfounded. There is a myth that Spanish pistols are made from "soft" steel, which is again, unfounded. The trigger pull comment is overboard as well.

If the price is cheap/reasonable, buy it. I have owned several Astra autos through the years (still have an A-80) and they have been well made and durable.
Old June 27, 2006, 09:53 PM   #5
RJay

However, the big problem I'm seeing is lack of parts for the Astra. No factory parts are availabe.
Old June 28, 2006, 08:43 AM   #6
Jeff #111

Schmeky

I did say that I was passing along what I've been told as well as learned from other postings on this and other firearm forums. Nobody had responded to the original poster so I figured I would get things going. Nothing like some controversial info to kick things off.

For what it's worth just last week I came across a 1978 issue of Shooting Times in which the then new Astra .357 magnum was reviewed. It was given a good score. However I don't usually refer to articles from the gun mags on forums. There is a very strong contingent that hates the "gun rags". In the past when I have mentoned them there are always posters who respond about how the writers are all coperate whores etc.

So I figured that if I passed along the bad info there would be others who would do the opposite. I guess I'm tired of being attacked for being positive.
Old June 28, 2006, 09:39 AM   #7
john in jax

I owned one!

I owned an Astra Terminator (2-3/4" bbl and small rnd butt, rubber grips, RR WO sights, etc...) 10-15 years ago, it was a GREAT gun. Looked, felt, and shot just like my S&W 29's and it did accept the same speed loaders. I wish I had never gotton rid of it.

.44mag rounds are hard on guns, I'd check each gun very carefully to make sure it locks up tight, and isn't worn out (loose).
Old June 28, 2006, 10:10 AM   #8
BlueTrain

I believe there are no longer any Spanish gun makers sell guns in the United States and there may no longer be any producing firearms for commercial sale. No more Stars.
Buy War Bonds.
Old June 28, 2006, 10:52 AM   #9
jhgreasemonkey

Century International Arms has imported used Astra revolvers. But they only have 4" .38 specialsat this time. Impact guns has some and is selling them for $119. I never found much info on this brand except that as stated above it is a spanish made revolver and it has gotten some good reviews.
Old June 28, 2006, 12:04 PM   #10
schmeky

Jeff#111,

Please, take no offense. I can tell you are thick skinned and have a good sense of humor. There are some really good Spanish firearms, not great, but very good. I have never owned an Astra revolver, but everything I have read about them over the years has been positive.

I agree with the gun magazine writers comment, they rarely give a truly accurate critique, they invariably give all guns tested a "good" rating, even if the gun was a ****.

I had an Astra A-80 .45 for nearly 10 years and shot it a lot. It was a good gun. I still own an A-80 in 9mm, it to is well made and shoots good.
Old June 28, 2006, 01:49 PM   #11
Sturm&Rugerfan

try a dan wesson

dan wesson are very accurate and are as tough as ruger's and usually cost less check hem out on www.gunbroker.com, www.auctionarms.com , www.gunsamerica.com