The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old June 8, 2006, 10:29 PM   #1
canucksvt

Iron sights for Ruger 10/22 .920 bull barrels?

I have a Butler Creek .920 bull barrel on my 10/22 and love it with the exception of having to rely on a scope to do my shooting. I would like to have a set of iron sights installed on this barrel. Is anyone out there aware of any iron sights that are available for the Ruger 10/22 rifle with the .920 bull barrels? If there is not a specifically designed sight set for this barrel, is anyone aware of anyone who has made an iron sight set work on this type of barrel? I have scoured the internet with no luck so far. Thanks in advance for any information anyone has in regards to this issue.
Old June 8, 2006, 11:20 PM   #2
hoghunting

Try www.williamsgunsight.com You might contact them and ask your question.
Old June 9, 2006, 12:25 AM   #3
Leif

Green Mountain makes a .920 barrel with iron sights:

http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/catalog...iameterBarrels (scroll down)

Are you looking to have irons in addition to the scope on the same rifle, or to have a 10/22 with a .920 barrel, irons, and no scope? I'm assuming that when you say 'irons' you mean open sights, not some sort of aperture/peep system.
Old June 9, 2006, 12:51 PM   #4
Picher

What you'd probably need is a low Williams Shorty Ramp 1/4"(?)and the lowest bead you can find, 3/16" probably. The barrel would probably have to be drilled and tapped, but the ramp could even be sweated on. A ramp for a shotgun may have a close enough radius to fit, or someone could mill a rifle ramp.

The Receiver sight should be either a 5D or Foolproof, mounted on the side of the receiver, not a top mounted type, since the top mounted sight may not have enough adjustment range to accomodate the relatively high front sight.

Picher