The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 24, 2006, 06:45 PM   #1
j1132s

Shot my own ammo today, yeah!

Firstly, I'd like to thank you for helping me get started in reloading. After initially setting up my equipment a few days ago, I didn't have any time to reload until last night.

So finally, I was able to get to the range today and try out my handloads. I loaded 10 rounds last night with the following:

CCI primer, 4.0 gr Alliant Bullseye, 200 gr Rainier copper plated RN bullet, and Winchester once fired brass.

These 10 rounds were very soft shooting and about as accurate as WWB in 15 yards. However, they are much more consistent than the WWB cartridges. They were fired out of a S&W 1911 w/ 5" barrel.

I may consider decreasing the powder amount in the next batch, but from the ABC's of Reloading book, the author warns about having too little powder in the case (which may actually lead to higher pressure)... so I'll probably just try 3.5 and stop there.

Next, I think I need to buy a chrono setup since I really curious about the performance of my loads. Anyway, just wanted to share w/ you my excitement and mention that 1 more reloader is now on this forum.
Old May 24, 2006, 06:47 PM   #2
j1132s

Opps, I should proof read my postings better in the future.
Forgot to mention the cartridge I reloaded: it is .45ACP.
Old May 24, 2006, 07:18 PM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

Too little powder in the case is generally an issue with rifle powders and not much of a problem with fast pistol powders.

I shot 3.8 grains of Bullseye under a 185 grain cast SWC in indoor matches and at 25 yards for years. I went to 200 grain bullets and 4 grains of Bullseye at 50 yards. Experiment and you will find what is best for your hold and sight picture.

Be aware that for really light loads you will likely find you have to reduce the recoil spring strength. In a Goldcup I used a 12 lb spring and shock-buff pads. A 14 pound spring and no pads would have yielded about the same result. When you get the load down to the point the slide doesn't quite touch down on the frame in counter-battery (feels mushy in recoil), that's when the lighter spring needs to be considered or failures to feed may occur as the gun fouls up.

An accuracy hint: seat the lead bullets in these light loads out so that when you drop a round in the removed barrel the face of the case head sticks out just flush with the back of the barrel extension (hood). This causes the round to headspace off the bullet and improves both bullet centering in the throat and consistency of start pressure.

Nick
NRA Patron Member
Old May 24, 2006, 07:35 PM   #4
pumpkinheaver

I shoot the 4 grain load a lot for plinking. Welcome to the world of do it yourself ammo. Did you get the wierd, hope I did it right feeling before you fired your first round? I know I did when I fired my first reload many moon ago!
Old May 24, 2006, 08:03 PM   #5
LAH

Congrats............Creeker
Old May 24, 2006, 08:17 PM   #6
JJB2

welcome to a fun new hobby........ making better ammo than factory is a fun as hell.....
Old May 24, 2006, 09:57 PM   #7
j1132s

Quote:
Did you get the wierd, hope I did it right feeling before you fired your first round?
Yes! I thought about asking a friend to first fire my reloads, but decided that isn't ethical

The more reloading books you read, the more dangerous reloading sounds...location of powder inside the case, slam fire if primer isn't seated deep enough, double charging, excessive headspace leading to case failure, etc.

Reloading is serious stuff and demands focused attention.
Old May 25, 2006, 11:05 AM   #8

Welcome to the club!
Old May 25, 2006, 05:05 PM   #9
Smokey Joe

Neat Feeling!

J1132s--Yeeay! Welcome to the club! Yeah, it sure is a neat feeling when the stuff you made goes bang exactly as it is supposed to!

Stay safe, read the manuals, The ABC's is the greatest thing since sliced bread, and may you have a long and happy career reloading!

Guess what--you get that "original thrill" all over again each time you try a new cartridge!

--Smokey Joe
Old May 25, 2006, 06:17 PM   #10
Donaldo

You now have a whole new appreciation for every single round you fired. Kinda cool, no?
Learn to do right! Seek justice, encourage the oppressed. Defend the cause of the fatherless, plead the case of the widow. - Isaiah 1:17
Old May 25, 2006, 06:45 PM   #11
Ammo Junky

I rember that nervous feeling. I shot a 9mm 115 fmj over a wopping 3.5gr W231 . It didn' even eject the brass

I apologise in advance for spelling errors.
Old May 25, 2006, 07:47 PM   #12
firechicken

Reload to shoot....shoot to reload. You'll be amazed at how many bullets and how much powder you'll go through. I remember firing my first loads. 270 Win 130gr Sierra over 52gr IMR 4350. I was nervous as Hell!!! They shot every bit as good as the factory stuff I was shooting. I didn't think that was too bad for my first try. Congats!!
Old May 25, 2006, 07:50 PM   #13
Leftoverdj

Next, we get you into casting.
Old May 26, 2006, 03:37 PM   #14
roy reali

Re:j1132s

I am convinced that all those warnings and cautions in reloading manuals are attorney speak. The lawyers for the companies are just trying to protect the companies as much as possible.

I have been reloading for almost three decades. I do follow all the procedures and reccomendations in the books. But trust me, I am no genius or mechanical wizard. I have yet to expereince any harm to me or my guns.

Follow the rules and use common sense. Don't let all those warnings scare you.