The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 9, 2006, 10:36 AM   #26
Mtn Hawk

Andy and Greg--

Thank you both for your thorough answers. Your info was very helpful.

Out of curiosity, I called Hornady and they said their LNL Conversion Bushing Kit won't work with the Lee Classic Cast Press. I had to wonder about this, considering what you both said. I called Lee and they said they don't experiment with the compatibility of other manufacturer's equipment so they couldn't answer my question. Anyway, I'll see if I can remove the bushing from the top of the Lee press. Maybe the newer Lee presses aren't compatible with the LNL system and the older ones were.

Greg, I'm glad the Lee press worked out for you. I sure like mine. It got a lot of rave reviews on the Midway website, which went a long way in convincing me to buy one. One thing I really like is the way the primers drop down the ram. It's very simple and clean without any messy primer residue and there are no awkward primer catchers that get in the way and don't work well, that are a problem with some other presses. I also like the built-in handle adjustments. I think the turret press has the same features. I thought about a turret press but only reload for 2 calibers and don't do high-volume reloading so the single stage should be fine.
Old May 12, 2006, 10:06 AM   #27
629 shooter

UPDATE! - once again thanks for all the replies! After reading all the positive responses here on and also the Midway site for the Lee Classic cast press it sounds like it will fill my present reloading needs prefectly. Also will be more than enough for anything larger should the .308 bug bite me again or to size my 44 mag cases.

It seems that the Lee Classis is often compared to the RCBS Rockchucker but at a price less than $10 more than the RCBS Partner.

Now , one more thing - are the linkages made of steel also? No aluminum - correct?
Old May 13, 2006, 11:43 AM   #28
Mtn Hawk

629 shooter--

I don't know what kind of metal is used in the linkage of either press. You would probably have to call the manufacturers for that info. However, when I first unpacked the Lee press I remember being impressed with how sturdy the linkage system looked. There is nothing cheap-looking about anything on that press. I used to have the older Rock Chucker but have not seen the newer Rock Chucker Supreme. I like RCBS reloading equipment and would expect high-quality from their presses, also.
Old May 13, 2006, 01:31 PM   #29
629 shooter

Thanks Mtn Hawk for your observations on the Lee press, I read the descrition in the Midway catalog since posting and they state the inkages are steel. I am almost 100% set on ordering the Lee Classic.
Old May 20, 2006, 10:29 AM   #30
629 shooter

Thanks to all that replied - never really considered the Lee Classic until I posted here. After comparing the price to the much smaller RCBS Partner I decided to order it.

WOW! It arrived yesterday - I was really surprised at how much press you get for the money! This thing appears to be rock solid and will handle any type of reloading I will ever care to undertake! Cannot believe it is less than $10 more than the little RCBS.

Anyway - many thanks again - will be giving it a break in later FL resizing some .223 cases.
Old May 23, 2006, 03:41 PM   #31
arthurrh

I was going to start a new thread, but I think my question belongs here. I have a Hornady Lock-n-load press, but I'm looking for a second one. My goal is very high quality, so I'm looking for the very best press I can get. Any recommendations?
Old May 23, 2006, 05:04 PM   #32
ragwd

dillon presses

while we are talking different presses what does everyone think of the dillon 550-b im told its a good one, but not finding decent prices on one in the used market. any feed back appreciated
Old May 24, 2006, 08:33 AM   #33
BigJakeJ1s

The Dillon 550b is the most popular progressive press on the planet. That popularity allows Dillon to charge a mint for it. Their no-questions-asked warranty policy also means that used presses will be fixed for free (well, everyone pays for it up front in the purchase price), thus even used ones command a high price on ebay.

For the price, I think the Hornady LNL AP is a better deal. It is auto indexing, with 5 stations instead of 4, has a better powder measure, and takes an optional casefeeder. For the same or less $ than the 550b. Dillon just added a case feeder for their 550 to compete with Hornady, but it is not as convenient without auto indexing.

Andy