The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 20, 2006, 11:06 PM   #1
HiPowering Along

Location: PA - Land of taxes, potholes and unfortunately Ed "Gun Grabbin' Fast Eddie" Rendell
Finally got the bench finished!

Whew! Only took me a couple of months (begging time here and there to work on it), but finally got the reloading bench and the Dillion 650 up and running...

Took the plans from the Nat'l Reloaders Manufacturer's Association and basically built it to the plans, with the exception of not closing in the center/bottom area of the upper section. The thing is one HEAVY muther - nearly needed a script for muscle relaxers after moving it to the final position against the wall. I didn't bother bolting it to the wall - it's dead stable where it sits - not a millimeter of rocking/wobbling to it. Can't figure out if I was dang good or lucky with that - not having to level the bench out!

Now all I have to do is re-route all the wiring for the 'puters wireless and DSL routers....

If you are thinking of using the same plans to build a bench, it's definitely a sturdy one. And if you have the XL650, the clearance will be a problem for full lever travel in the plans stock configuration. The front of the benchtop is built with a 2x6 running horizontally and a 2x4 nailed vertically to it underneath - add a 3/4" plywood top to it, and it's a good deal thick! When the frame of the 650 is put on it, full travel is not possible - the frame contacts the bench near the end of the stroke.

I purchased longer bolts to secure it to the workbench - the stock ones were too short. Grade 8 bolts, 3-1/2" long, worked just fine. For the contact problem, I used the trusty Dremel and a 3/4" wood chisel to give some relief to the mounting thickness of the near right bolt, added two washers to the roller handle to bring the handle post up a bit, trimmed the excess length off the bolt and now have about 1/8" clearance. Still has plenty of overall thickness to support it at that corner.

Take a picture of it - if what I've seen in other threads about workbenches, this one is pristine and won't stay that way long!!!
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed." - One of the greatest sentences ever written into an instrument of democracy.
Old May 21, 2006, 12:10 AM   #2
j1132s

Wow! That's an awesome bench!

I'm curious, did you have to do anything special regarding the legs? Is your floor flat and level?

I ask this because...
I just recently built a bench (not nearly as nice as yours, no, not even remotely close.. but only took a couple of hours) but I went a/ w 2-legged design instead of 4 because my garage's floor is too slopey and uneven.
Old May 21, 2006, 07:23 AM   #3
DG2244

Very nice, looks like the print to me. I'd put a few coats of sealer on that top to make it easier to clean spills.
Old May 21, 2006, 07:43 AM   #4
HiPowering Along

Location: PA - Land of taxes, potholes and unfortunately Ed "Gun Grabbin' Fast Eddie" Rendell
Both good and lucky?

Quote:
Wow! That's an awesome bench!

I'm curious, did you have to do anything special regarding the legs? Is your floor flat and level?
Thanks - I took care of two things at once - needed a bench to work on for years and a good sturdy one for the Dillion...

No, knowing that getting even a tad off on the length of any of the four legs would mean a PITA to get it level, I was pretty anal about cutting them. When I put it against the wall and shook a corner, it didn't move a millimeter.

A grin immediately spread across my face and an ol' cliche' popped into my head at that moment:

"If it ain't broke, DON'T fix it!"

It's staying right where it is....
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed." - One of the greatest sentences ever written into an instrument of democracy.
Old May 21, 2006, 03:14 PM   #5
hoghunting

Great job on the bench. You should be proud of your work. A sturdy bench definitely makes reloading easier.
Old May 21, 2006, 04:23 PM   #6
LAH

Nice looking bench........you did good..........Creeker
Old May 21, 2006, 08:18 PM   #7
Kelly J

HiPowering Along

I will agree with you that these benches are sturdy and well thought out, I have built two of them, one short version for sitting down and the second one built to plan height which works out great for me to stand for serious work or sit for the light duty stuff, I tried to post pictures of my last bench but was unable to do so so if frustration I sent you an E-Mail, I know I can send pictures that way.

I modified the two benches from the original in that I added a bank of drawers to both in the center bottom, and ond the other I added a large draw to the center under the bench top for a catch-all (it works to) you should see the things it can accumilate.

All things aside you did a fine job and I agree that you should finish the work surface at least to keep oil, powder, and such from damaging it.

You sholud get a lot of use ou of it, and as you are well aware by now DON'T TRY TO MOVE THE THING BY YOURSELF.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, go from us in peace. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!"
--Samuel Adams
Old May 21, 2006, 08:25 PM   #8
Kelly J

J1132s

Shake Shingles will level more things than a door jamb, I used them to compinsate for an uneven floor, once I had her level I trimmed the excess from around the legs and never looked back, if you don't look close you wont see them, and they have not moved in over a year now. Just make sure you got it where you want it before leveling it.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, go from us in peace. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!"
--Samuel Adams