The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 12, 2006, 01:13 PM   #1
Barr

Winchester Reloading Supply Shortage?

I was at Wideners the other day in Johnson City and I learned that Winchester Primers and Powders are becoming much harder to get ahold of. I know that the Winchester Arms Company was/is owned by FN and the Winchester Ammunition is owned by Olin. The store clerk had told me he did not know exactly what the deal is but they were having a hard time getting additional inventory. Same thing at the other reloading store I go to, they had hardly any Winchester supplies at all.

Does anyone know what the story is?
Old May 12, 2006, 01:31 PM   #2
epr105

My supplier told me that some things are in short supply but did not mention any brand. He said that the prices were going up and shortages were due to the fuel prices and a shortage of raw materials. The Chineese are buying lots of metal for a bridge project and that is what I heard. I did see a mention of the chineese project in the paper.
Ed
EPR105
Old May 12, 2006, 03:13 PM   #3
calvinike

epr105,
I don't believe any country, including the Chinese, are making bridges out of brass (copper/zinc alloy). Energy prices may drive prices up but will probably not cut down on quantity.
Old May 12, 2006, 03:35 PM   #4
qajaq59

Prices

I think the sudden rise in price has a lot of the jobbers not stocking as heavily as they usually would. It will even out after a while. And if anyone is using extra brass, my guess would be our troops overseas. And since they need it more then I do, they are welcome to all of my share if they need it.