The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 3, 2006, 10:30 PM   #1
shy_man

Armscor 1911 Philippine made

Are there any Americans using this gun made from the philippines, what is the percentage of user. If one user is here, how would you rate the gun, is it durable, fit for target shooting, reasonable price, comparable to other 1911's clone or whatever comment you can give.

I've heard that this gun has a good market in some areas in the USA or how did it pass the quality control of US on arms if not a good gun.

I asked this because the maker of most parts of CD's and Rock Island pistols i've read hereon were made by Armscor Philippines.
Thank you so much of your feedback.
Old April 4, 2006, 11:49 AM   #2
hksigwalther

The Armscor products have generally been above average in terms of reliability and function. Average in accuracy/precision. A great bargain for the price. (In the US, the base models are ~$275-$350.) Adequate shooters. You will have its detractors as with any consumer product including the high end models but generally, they have been well received. I've been trying to get another RIA for my dad to replace the one I took back from him but they have become pretty hard to find now due, I am told by a couple dealers, to their popularity.
Old April 4, 2006, 06:04 PM   #3
Minator

Here in Texas they are one of the top selling 1911 style pistols mostly due to their price and they have descent quality most people use them as beaters and mod them out like I did. I was lucky a distributor down here had just got in 1,500 units when I went to get another one the next week they were sold out of both sizes in 45acp. I had some trouble with it in the begining and was going to sell it but I changed my mind worked on it and now its a 100%. So all in all its pretty descent and has a fairly good market here in the US but I couldnt nail down an accurate percentage of consumers here.
Old April 4, 2006, 08:48 PM   #4
kirkcdl

Last time I checked,Sarco had some...FYI...
Old April 4, 2006, 08:52 PM   #5
joecad

the following are all composed of

the following are all composed of parts made in the philippines"
armscor, rock island armory, and charles dayly.
Old April 4, 2006, 09:07 PM   #6
orionengnr

I just paid for a used Charles Daly

1911 3". Should be receiving it within the next few days. The previous owner says he had it for about six years and (after a bit of tweaking) it is now a reliable sidearm. I will let you know soon
Old April 4, 2006, 09:10 PM   #7
orionengnr

and hksigwalther,

PM sent re: RIAs.
Old April 4, 2006, 09:46 PM   #8
mordis

Ill give you my previous experiance with a armscor revolver, Disclaimer, yess i know you wanting information on the 1911 but i feel this is relevent as to the overal quality of there firearms.

Now i do have factual evidence to back this up, my claim that the company's products stink. Becuase. my first revolver was a .357 that was made by that company. A very large boat anchor of a gun, now, when i fired it, the brass would always be next to impossible to eject. I could never figure out why. So i had a gun smith look at it. and as it turns out the 6 cylnders that house my bullets, had several major flaws with them. The first problem was that all of the 6 cylnders were not straight, they kinda all had this slight bend to them in the middle.
2 The actual barrel and cylnders only measured to be something in the area of .311 not .357 I can verify that with the micromiter i used as well as watching the gunsmith do it and get the same result for not only the barrel, but for the cylnders as well. To further substansiate this, we took a .357 bullet, no brass casing no powder just the actual projectile, a 125gr hollow point and used a rod to run it down the barrel(with help from several strong friends) and the bullet measured just under .310 So i gave the gun to the gunsmith(who happens to be my father inlaw, and best friend) and he gave me the s&w model 15-3 .38 i now enjoy,(ontop of my g17).

So there you have it, PLease dont by it, by a nice 1911 from some manufacturer who is a major player in the buisness, like smith, tuarus, and ruger, and others. Cuase im betting if you get that gun from them, youll find out some interesting problems, like a crappy extractor, the barrel and other crud need ing a major polishing, im sure you know were im going with this.

Please dont take this as a jab at you, im just trying to tell you my experiance with them and to please beg you to not buy it.

Edit the gun is clearly labeled as a .357 magnum.

EDITED to add the disclaimer at the top....

Last edited by mordis; April 5, 2006 at 09:58 PM.
Old April 5, 2006, 04:01 PM   #9
Minator

Quote:
1911 style
Quote:
**** ARMSCOR wow. UM wow. ill give you my kidneys if it will talk you out of anything that company makes. seriously
Quote:
smith, tuarus, and ruger
Your talking about a revolver when the topic was as listed above 1911 style.

Your dumping on armscor yet your recomending Taurus which is in the same boat their both companies that make cheap clones yet taurus tries to blind you with the lifetime garaunty when more times then not most people send their tauruses back for waranty, some get good ones others get garbage.

Another thing before you hijack someones thread you should read it and get your facts straight, by the way Ruger doesnt make 1911's.

I apologize now for feeding the troll:barf:
Old April 5, 2006, 06:02 PM   #10
hksigwalther

There is some truth to the poor offerings in the past 1911s from the Philippines (not sure if it was from Armscor). It's one of the reasons I had stayed away from Philippine made products since they resurfaced here (lead by Armscor) in the US for about a year/year and a half.

After reading the positive comments and wanting to get back into the 1911 after a poor showing the first time around (with US made products, incidently), I decided to go RIA as it was an inexpensive re-testing of the waters. Mine has fed reliably from the box and accelerated by re-entry. (Since bought a Spring TRP Op.) The main reason for retrieving the 1911 from my dad was to try my hand at modding the gun. Seems like a good inexpensive platfom to work off of.

I think the guns from the Philippines have turned the corner and are at least servicable products.

[The review I read concerning the bad products from the Philippines was in Gun Test. They had tested a 1911 and noted quite a number of very significant errors, the most notable that stuck in my mind was the off center barrel hole at the muzzle end of the slide. Decided to stay away from PI products after the read, ... and I'm from the Philippines.]
Old April 5, 2006, 06:53 PM   #11
shy_man

Mordis, I think you have bought a a revolver called "PALTIK" in our country brought in to us perhaps by the mil from subic or clark airbase. Those kinds of guns were just home-made and are really craps especially those made in the 80's. Maker of these PALTIK's are not licensed by the Philippine government and naturally they don't conform to an ISO standards they were just made by inidividuals as their industry.

I am talking the latest Armscor 1911's today and I am asking a comment about it, not a comment to a revolver. But I bet the revolver made by Armscor today will even surpassed some of the top of the line revolver now for its smoothness and reliability.

Anyway, I am soliciting comments or assessments on the Armscor 1911 semi auto, so be it pros and cons is accepted. Below is the comment I got in the Other 1911 forum. http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=141202

Last edited by shy_man; April 5, 2006 at 08:06 PM.
Old April 5, 2006, 09:50 PM   #12
mordis

Im sorry if i came off as a troll, but the gun i have Yes its a revolver, but, it to me is indicitive of the quality of there workmanship.

Shy man, I went back and got my old box from my father in law, and it is clearly labeld as armscor, but it doesent list any other names like the model name or anything, ill try when he gets home to tommorow to get the serial number, but it was not my intention to hijack this thread, I was not trolling, i was giving him my experiance with one of there other products. Yes he wants a 1911, but wouldnt you want to know if the company had quality issues even if its not in the same category of gun you want. I know i would.

EDIT I didnt mean to mention the wrong companys, i wasnt specificaly referencing 1911s when i made those recomendations, and btw taurus is not a junk company any more, they are actually really good.

EDIT I added a disclaimer to my prievious post, please read it and consider it before calling me a troll.
Old April 6, 2006, 06:28 AM   #13
Mal H
Staff

Ok, there was no trolling going on here. Let's get off that bandwagon. mordis was relating what he feels is poor quality control from Armscor. Quality control can be a factor in any line of products from a company, so the fact that his firearm was a revolver in a 1911 thread is not pertinent to the quality control issue. However, as he said, his revolver is old and shy-man is requesting info on newer Armscor products. Almost any company will experience poor quality control at some time in their history, whether they fix the problem or not is the mark of how good a company they are.
Old April 6, 2006, 08:29 AM   #14
mordis

Mall you make me wish i could type more eloquently like you do. i always end up stirring hornets nests with well intentioned posts.
Old April 6, 2006, 10:32 PM   #15
shy_man

Mal H, you have explained it well. I highly appreciate that.

Mordis, I understand if you've got an old crap armscor revolver products. But for your info. Just lately only or few years ago, that Armscor name came to existence, it was an offshoot of several owners that take-over the company. Now, they are even having tie-up with Tanfoglio of Italy that sometimes Tanfoglio pistols were marked Armscor or I think they were given the technology of tanfoglio to the extent that they market tanfoglio firearms locally and abroad.
Old April 7, 2006, 11:20 AM   #16
aminyard

Armscors are junk. In the world of guns you get what you pay for.

Al
Old April 7, 2006, 08:12 PM   #17
hksigwalther

Quote:
Armscors are junk. In the world of guns you get what you pay for.
Old April 7, 2006, 09:07 PM   #18
mordis

well shy man i purchased the gun rougly 3.5 years ago, When i first started security work, i needed a gun to carry and i bought that. So ya, its not OLD per say, but its not quality, Im still not sure why it hasnt blown up in my hands considering whats wrong with it, it really should have. But ya. its clearly marked armscor, on a black frame. with rubber grips that came stock.
Old April 7, 2006, 10:07 PM   #19
Anthony2

Quality of Armscor and RIA's

In my part of MI we can get Armscor and RIA's in 1911 .45 all day long.
From what I've heard most are quality guns for the money...For the money seems to be the deciding factor.
Would I use one for plinking, or possibly varmints?
Yes, in an instant.
I think you get what you pay for...I don't trust the workmanship enough to use it for CC.
IMO, the only solution is to try before you buy, if quality is a question for you.
At the end of the day if your happy with it, that's all that should matter.

"Baaa or Freedom!" - Ted Nugent

"Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth." - Ghandi

"The Addiction to Guns, The only addiction to ever SAVE a life!"- Me
Old April 8, 2006, 10:12 AM   #20
aminyard

I have spent a LOT of time in the Phillipines, dealing with marine engineering. I have never seen anything mfg there that I would trust for an instant. Their idea of QA is a joke, and their metal alloys are incredibly inconsistent.

Al
Old April 25, 2006, 05:54 AM   #21
valsj

We cant blame you for judging armscor. but here in the phils armscor is being imitated in cebu(island where the natives are good makers of firearms) and also they can mark it like the armscor. Backyard manufactures are taking the armscor to bottom line, it circulates locally.
Old April 25, 2006, 07:32 AM   #22
roger-ruger

Lets Get This Straight

For everybodys information!

Armscor 1911 is made by Armscor. RIA 1911 is made by TWIN PINES CO., in the Philippines. Armscor is a totally different company from RIA=TWIN PINES. Armscor just happens to be awarded the right to distribute, deal the RIA 1911s in the U.S.

As for over-all quality? I dunno. Got in a choosing bind ones, NORC or ARMSCOR went to the way of the NORC instead.
Old April 25, 2006, 11:41 PM   #23
Frenchy

MY RIA has given me a good experience...YMMV...
Old May 5, 2006, 10:44 PM   #24
vchange

its really good to hear that others are adopting our products. I bought an armscor m1911 A1 9mm and its now on process. Its only 9+1 rounds, let me take the advantge of asking on this thread. Is it ok to use the magasin of armscor m1911 A2 9mm in the m1911 a1? sorry for asking im just new to this i just read that the a2 has a capacity of 15 rounds. thanks