The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 21, 2006, 01:46 PM   #1
Rodger Peterson

Remmington .454 lead bullets

I am currently using .452 Western Nevada hard cast bullets in my 45 Colt Ruger Blackhawk. I am driving them with Unique at 941 fps. I am getting leading at the forcing cone forward about a 1/2". Accuracy is ok. I recently read somewhere on this forum that the bullet could be too hard. I have some Remington .454 lead bullets with the black graphite on them. Can these be driven at this speed without leading or will it be worse? I'd like to go up to 1000 fps without leading, but rather not pay for the jacketed bullets. I have slugged the bore at .452. Will the .454 bullets cause any problems?
Old February 21, 2006, 01:57 PM   #2
918v

No.

Those RP bullets are very soft. I'd keep then around 800 FPS.

Do your .452" bullets fall freely through the cylinder throat? If so, then they are undersized for the throat and that is the cause of your leading. The .454" bullets should not fall freely, provide a better gas seal, and lead much less, if not stop leading alltogether.
Old February 21, 2006, 03:44 PM   #3
Rodger Peterson

I cannot push the hard cast bullets through the forcing cone no matter how hard I push with my fingers. How I measured the bore was I drove one through the muzzle with a dowel and there was great resistance. It's been about a year since I did that and only made a note of .452 although if memory serves me it was .451xx. I just hate scrubbing lead. I enjoy this revolver and how it performs. I shoot something with it almost every weekend but if I don't scrub the bore accuracy falls apart. I have carried a 357 for 20 years the same. way, I need to keep the velocity up on the 45 to keep the trajectory somewhat reasonable. Me and coyotes have had a 20 year feud. A 30-30 does my talking mostly, but sometimes on a tractor I get too far from the truck.
Old February 22, 2006, 01:09 AM   #4
918v

Slug the throats. If they are .451" and the bore is .452" then they are swaging the bullets undersize and that is why they are leading.
Old February 22, 2006, 09:15 PM   #5
Rodger Peterson

918v I have been reading some of your posts on the forum and you seem to have a very good knowledge of lead bullets and firearms. Thank you trying to help me and others. I slugged my barrel again and it measures .4495. My cyclinder throats measure .450. Seems awfully close in dimension. Seems I have read in one of mags that someone sells a kit to open up the cyclinder throats, but I no longer have the article. I don't know if this required or not. I first started loading at about 750 fps and leading was almost nonexistant and accuracy was very good. Like I said my averages are now 941 and leading is not filling the rifleing after 50 rounds, but it is there about 1/2" beyond the forcing cone. Point of aim has moved about 4 inches and my grouping opened up to 6 inches at 25 yds if I do my best. That is acceptable for my requirements, but I'd like to get to 1000 fps. As for the bullets. I have read this brand has a hardness of 12. It only has 1 lube ring filled with the blue crayon type lube. It is a 250 grain RNFP. Thanks for any help.
Old February 23, 2006, 11:42 AM   #6
918v

The cylinder throat enlarging kits are for situations where the throats are smaller than the bore. In your case this is not so, and your gun is considered perfect. It seems that your lube is at fault and will not allow 900 fps velocities. You should try a hard lube designed for magnum applications or rifles. Or you can try a soft gas check (thin sheet of wax/ use case as a cookecutter).