The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old February 20, 2006, 11:08 PM   #1
ChefGW

Jennings Nine? Thoughts and opinions...

The first handgun I ever bought was a Jennings Nine. I bought it a few years back and paid about $125 for it new. I've put about 200-300 rounds through with no malfunctions. It's heavy, but it works great. Why do so many people not like these guns? Did I just get lucky?
Old February 20, 2006, 11:52 PM   #2
918v

Buying something like that should be made a felony.
Old February 20, 2006, 11:58 PM   #3
ChefGW

It was cheap and I really wanted a 9mm at the time. And it goes boom every time I pull the trigger. Maybe I got lucky?! Who knows.
Old February 21, 2006, 12:10 AM   #4
918v

So you had other guns at the time?
Old February 21, 2006, 01:07 PM   #5
DiplomaticBlackHawk

You got hosed my brother.Sorry and I'm not trying to be an ass but if u can get ur money back get it quick.The gun is a danger to u and anyone who's on either end , it might go another lot of ammo but look at the design.The firing pin and the sear cam are the weak spots and I have owned many of these.They are only mine because they where got new for under 100 bucks and I was running through wwb for reloading.They might be better if the firing pin was not made to break so easy but that would make the real problem happen more likely.That is the gun jamming in a way that the firing pin/ejector hit a live primer befor it go's into battery fully.If u are just using them for the range like me that is cool but get on gunbroker and buy the entire parts kit but if u are thinking SD like I took it then more than a few people here will tell u to get a 38 revolver or a mak or ect ect but if u much have a 9mm then just buy a hi point , they HAVE been prover reliable after a little break in and they have none of the problems than a Jennings,bryco,ect and will have a few more features like a last round lock open.But the big winner is the lifetime warrenty for the price and you could get the 46 which is the best proforming model.That's my .02
Old February 21, 2006, 01:08 PM   #6
WillBrayjr

Lucky!!! SNS are made out of soft brittle metal called zinc alloy.
Old February 21, 2006, 01:12 PM   #7
Te Anau

The Jennings nine has a tendency to disassemble itself without warning.They are not durable or (as a rule) reliable guns.Being made partially out of a zinc/aluminum alloy has nothing to do with it.
Old February 21, 2006, 01:22 PM   #8
WillBrayjr

The Hell it don't. I have stripped plenty of SNS and they were beat up bad. Read up on Smith's SW380 with the zinc slide. It wasn't on the market for long because of that The only reason Hi-Points are more durable than the rest of the SNS is they have steel inserts
Old February 21, 2006, 01:31 PM   #9
DiplomaticBlackHawk

And to just add u got a good deal my dumb self was thinking the full size model 48 not the double stack model 59 which is kinds hard to come by so it costs more.
Old February 21, 2006, 02:45 PM   #10
DiplomaticBlackHawk

Yeah it's just the type of metal and the way it is made that makes it weak oh and did I forget the design.
Old February 21, 2006, 04:03 PM   #11
Clayfish

I've only had a few hiccups from mine. No. I'm not proud of it. For a cheap gun they function and so the job they were made to do. I wonder how many of these naysayers have ever accually shot one. I've put a couple thousand rounds through mine. Why did I get it? Well it was all I could afford at the time. I have many nicer guns now and won't get rid of the bryco only because it's not worth anything. Would I buy another? No, I can afford nicer and better guns now. My wife shoots it now and is a crack shot. They are very accurate for what you pay for too. There is some slide bite on my hands but not for my wife. Hey, If any of you bozos want to come down to south GA and give it a whirl I'm sure my wife will shame you and your high dollar pistol with HER bryco jennings nine. My point is, If you're goind to bash a product then you better have hands on experience with it.
Old February 21, 2006, 04:41 PM   #12
WillBrayjr

Yes I have shot them and had more problems then I do with 9mm Glocks. I don't mind cheap guns but when something is unsafe I won't own it.
Old February 21, 2006, 05:12 PM   #13
urbanassault

Quote:
Why do so many people not like these guns?
Its not necessarily that they do not like these guns, more so that they just really like all their fingers

....more

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
Old February 21, 2006, 08:45 PM   #14
hksigwalther

Quote:
I've put about 200-300 rounds through with no malfunctions. It's heavy, but it works great. Why do so many people not like these guns? Did I just get lucky?
Eh, if it throws lead down range reliably and with reasonable accuracy, who cares what others think. 300 rounds is a low round count but as long as it keeps going, have fun. Wear good eye protection and maybe a good pair of gloves.
Old July 20, 2007, 10:49 AM   #15
YounGun24

I own one and have shot two, they are awful

Hi, I'm new to handguns, but I'm trying to get aqquainted with gun forums and this is my first post. When my son was born 4 months ago (my first child), I decided that I wanted a gun to protect my new family. I've had some hunting experiance in high school (shotgun), but was new to handguns.

My dad had about 8 pistols (revolvers and Semi-autos) and offored to give me one. He claimed that he had two 9mm's with one being still in the box. They both turned out to be Jennings Nine's. He said that the one he shot jammed pretty often, but that the new one should be fine. I took it out of the box and the first shot jammed. SInce then, I have shot it about 5 times, and every time, it jams after the first shot. I have to take the slide off and put it back on to get it to shoot again. I definately don't recommend this gun (i don't think they make it anymore), and I went out and bought a Bersa Thunder 380, which I love.
Old July 20, 2007, 11:02 AM   #16
sanson

those Bersa's are actually good guns. they are better made than the jennings or hi-points. I keep a hi-point 380 in my tractor toolbox for shooting snakes and rats when mowing. it's cheap (even new) so no loss if it gets beat-up. the darn gun shooots every time and the adjstbl sight actually puts the bullet at point of aim. crappy plastic frame and slide kinda bulky but lifetime warranty (US made)
Old July 20, 2007, 11:05 AM   #17
okiewita40

I was told at the shop I go to that the jennings is no longer made. Had to do with a law suit. Anyway what I was told was that the guy that won the suit bought the company and made some changes to the gun. They are now called a Jimenez. I handled one just didn't care for the sights or the weight for a pocket gun.
Old July 20, 2007, 11:44 AM   #18
Manedwolf

Jennings/Jimenez:

1. More likely than not to catastrophically malfunction when you need it to work
2. Might explode in your hand
3. Use it in self-defense, and the other side's lawyer will have you for lunch

And $125? Geez. I've never seen one for more than $50, with no takers. They're usually just used as tokens for free stuff in buybacks.
Old July 20, 2007, 05:10 PM   #19
Taurus_9mm

My first pistol was a Jennings .22 some years ago. It was fine initially but not long after I started experiencing failures to feed, fire and to eject. I think I paid around $50 for it, and at the time it wasn't too big of a deal. If you like your Jennings, that's the important thing. If you want something that's relatively inexpensive, reliable and will last a lifetime, check into a Ruger P95. In some places, they can be had for under three bills.
Old July 20, 2007, 07:07 PM   #20
rgates

You're right Okie.

I saw a Jimenez at a shop and for the price I decided to do a little research.
Jennings went under due to law suits from people being injured from some guns actually coming apart when fired. Company was sold and is now Jimenez. I didn't go back. Not interested.
Old July 21, 2007, 08:04 AM   #21
threegun

Quote:
Why do so many people not like these guns? Did I just get lucky?
Yes you got lucky but your round count is very low so your luck will probably run out soon.

People don't like junk. For many it is all they can afford and thats fine...better than no gun. They are not reliable however and that goes for the hi-point which so many adore. Although Hipoint is the best of the crapola guns.
Old July 21, 2007, 10:07 AM   #22
armoredman

Had a Jennings J-22. Worked about 50% of the time, all I could afford 25 years ago.
Had a Jennings 9 on the rental shelf, NO idea why. It work abour %40 of the time, absolutely worthless firearm. If you want to spend $125 on a gun, get a Makarov, a PA63, or a beat up used .38, anything but a Jennings. the Star BM 9mm was a fantastic deal for the same price a few years back.
Old July 21, 2007, 10:11 AM   #23
Manedwolf

Quote:
f you want to spend $125 on a gun, get a Makarov, a PA63, or a beat up used .38, anything but a Jennings. the Star BM 9mm was a fantastic deal for the same price a few years back.
If you see a Makarov for that price, tell me where! Last ones I'd seen were $275 at a shop and at a show. Hungarian, even.

The PA-63 hasn't risen in price, dropped, even, to $119 some places, since it's a nasty, snappish little thing that'll give you a flinch, but at least it won't explode.

And the Star BM is indeed a solid little gun, still some places you can find it, but if a part breaks, you'll pay through the nose for a replacement. A lot of people recommended buying two, one for spares.

I've never seen a .38 special that was that cheap that wasn't an old Charter or the like, and with an AS-IS tag because the timing or some other aspect is completely screwed up.
Old July 21, 2007, 03:20 PM   #24
Willie D

I sold my girlfriend's without ever firing it. I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to field strip it.
Old July 21, 2007, 04:10 PM   #25
Microgunner

I hate to admit it, but, I sold Jennings Nines at my gunshop for awhile and the only ones that didn't come back due to malfunction were the ones that were never fired. I tired of appologizing for Jennings poor quality and stopped selling them. High volumn sales were a poor trade off for my damaged reputation. Jennings = pure junk.